Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #1

Removing the Battery

After winterizing I think I’m going to pass on removing the battery from the fifth wheel this year. The space with the battery is so small I don’t even know how they got a battery in there. I might change my mind when I winterize this coming week but I’m not going to kill myself trying to get the darn thing out of the trailer. Batteries are heavy and my back is weak.

My original plan was to slide the battery box back into the side storage compartment but apparently the box is anchored in place.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Get a neighborhood kid to remove the battery for you. If you have an extended period of sub-freezing temps with a discharged battery, the best case scenario is that it'll be dead in the spring and have a limited life when recharged. Worst case is the electrolite will discharge leaving only water, it'll freeze, crack the battery case and dump acid all over your compartment.
Mike

Old 10-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #3

Well I am pulling on advice from my father and mother who have been in some kind of an rv for more than 80 years total time...lol...they are old but still kicking!!

My father has pulled his batteries out the boat and 5th, charged them up and then placed them on a block of wood and in the corner of the shop. The wood helps the battery from discharging, this is a source of debate but I am here to tell you it works.

In the spring he tops them up for a charge and back in the unit they go. Sounds like a lot of work and yes it can be difficult to remove and muscle into your house but well worth it and cheaper than spending 100.00 on a new battery every spring cause it died through the winter. Mike is also right that if it breaks open from freezing you will have an acid mess to clean as well.

Using this method my father has made batteries last for more than 10 years and they are just fine to use still lots of power. Personally i used a trickle charger on 3 batteries this last winter and 2 out of the 3 died. No power failures or anything else to kill the charges or make them do funny things and they were hooked up properly ( I pull wrenches and drive truck ). Will I use a trickle charger again....no...will I pull my batteries....yes.

Hope all the info helps.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

While the battery is out for the winter that would be a good time to perform a desulfate charge and an equalize charge, assuming they are lead acid batteries.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #5

Well the trailer is winterized and I just donít think Iíll fight to get the battery out of the trailer. I have to wonder how the heck they got a battery in there in the first place. The compartment is very small and the width of the access door is 9 Ĺ inches while the battery as it sits is 10 Ĺ inches.

If any other Silverback owners have an easy method for removing the battery, Iím all ears.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

No easy method. I have a 29re and i had to work at it a bit but i got out out. I had to tilt it and then turn it sideways.

Tags
battery