Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 12:12 AM   #21
Plain Old Member

Keep in mind that ugly exposed LED one I posted the picture of normally has a smooth round cover on it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #22
Papi

BJD: Are you talking about LED fixtures or incandescent? If the LED types I have had issues with 2 out of a couple dozen in the Cedar Creek. They were "cheerfully" replaced by FR and I noticed that the last one was of a different manufacturer than the first. The inherent problem with both was a small bridge rectifier on the circuit board. If you are crafty you can omit this part. It is just there so the installer can hook up either wire to positive and negative (cheaper labor?). Also, if LED type let the "bad" ones run their course and have replaced. Stick in there because as with all other electronics, if it lasts a few hours it will probably last a long time. Best luck...
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #23
Papi

John: Apologies are in order...I never see the rest of the thread until I post redundant info...sorry! Duhhh...
now in same place.
Papicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #24
Plain Old Member

No problem. I replaced the bad light with the replacement from CC. They were nice enough to send me 2 where I'd have a spare. Fixing to head off to Tennessee, so it'll be a while before I get around to replacing with something else. I have 2 more spares just in case (Manufacturer sent me one too). I'll take some better pictures of the lights now that I have one out. Lifetime warranty, but REAL cheap.

After looking close at the failed one, I noticed that one of the wires had gotten hot due to being in constant contact with the little circuit board, and had melted to it, thus it not turning off. That's all I can figure.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 AM   #25
Plain Old Member

So here's a few more pictures of the failed light. You'll see the wires have been clipped off of the switch. At the time, I was trying to diagnose this thing from offshore on the phone with my wife. So, the light won't turn off. I'm thinking bad contact in the switch. She cuts the wires one at a time and tapes the ends. Light is still on. That's when I had her pull the whole thing and clip the 12v wires coming to the light and cap them. Now that I can really look at the thing, you'll see in one of the pictures a wire with the sheathing melted off of it. This is the part of the light that would be against the ceiling. The wire was melted to back of the LED / circuit board, or whatever you call it. Guess it got hot, melted the wire, thus not turning off. Wouldn't have shut off regardless of the switch. So, these little LED's DO get hot.

CC and the manufacturer of the light sent me new lights. They do in fact have a lifetime warranty. As quoted from the manufacturer people: "So you know, we manufacture this light and it's all done here in Elkhart, In. We know we are not perfect but we stand behind our product for life."

If anybody needs one of these lights, you can go through CC, OR, you can go directly to the manufacturer. Contact for the manufacturer is

Trent Wagner - Vice President - Bright Ideas, LLC
(574) 295-5533
tntbrightideasllc@gmail.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switched Puck Light.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	56484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Without Cover.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	406.2 KB
ID:	56485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	345.9 KB
ID:	56486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Burnt Wire.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	396.3 KB
ID:	56487  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 PM   #26

Wow John, thanks for al the information. The same thing is happening in my week old 2015 Silverback 29re. What's happening to mine I think is the glue that holds the button in place loosens from the heat of the bulb and the button disappears, touching other stuff, light no worky... An obvious problem, I'll be in contact to get my spares. Thanks again.
RickWDE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, replacement