Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #1
Plain Old Member

Replacement Interior Lights

I had a thread last week on replacement parts. Namely, those little round switched lights over the bunks and over our bed. We had success getting a few ordered from Cedar Creek. In that phone call, their parts dept. said "yes, those lights are CHEAP", as in junk. No doubt. I haven't even received those yet, and have 2 more on the fritz. This makes 4 lights that crapped in 5-6 months. If this is going to be the norm, I want them gone. In the previous 6 RV's since 2003, I might have changed 2-3 bulbs, but never another problem.

So, has anybody replaced the small round lights with something better? I've found a couple of options. Though not as appealing to the eye, the older style surface mount white lights with the switch and lens seemed to be a LOT more reliable. Was thinking of replacing the recessed round ones with the LED version of those, like from Diamond lights or a similar manufacturer. I can't see continuing to put the OEM junk back in there.

Problems are stacking up with this fifth wheel faster than they can be fixed. Though some are minor, they are still many. Bed struts just ripped out, and bed frame is on it's way to coming apart. That's on the list to completely gut and start over as well.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #2

Hey John, how about a picture of the lights that are failing?

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

I'll have to get my wife to take a picture and send it to me since I'm offshore right now. They are pretty much impossible to find just on a general google search. The tag "Bright Ideas LLC" that's on the light is merely a distributor. Probably the same 4.5" +/- puck lights you might have, but they have a tiny black push button switch. Not sure what's on the Cedar Creek. We have both switched (push button on the light) and the ones operated by the wall switch. The ones operated by the wall switch have all been fine. 4 out of 8 lights with the switch on the light itself have failed. In our case, the light will not turn off. Very cheaply made.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #4

Yeah, we don't have that type, John. All of ours are switched on and off at the wall. I wonder if you could just change out the switches for a more durable switch. Are the lights LED or halogen? Ours were the halogen and they got extremely hot. I pulled all of those bulbs and installed LEDs. If your are halogen, the heat and current could be screwing up the cheap switches.

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

All LED lights. Can't change out the switch, or at least I don't see it being worth the trouble. You'd probably destroy the light trying to do so. Very tiny push button and comes through the lens. Tiny wires, tiny circuit board etc. Hard to describe without a picture. Hopefully I can post one when the wife gets up and sends me one.

Pretty much throw away lights the way I see them. I'd rather have something like I used to, where you can actually change a bulb or a switch easily.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #6

I have these, very bright and the 921 bulbs can be removed/replaced or if you wish you can replace then with the LEDs.

Interior Dual Dome Light

https://www.google.com/#q=921+led+bulb
Old 06-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #7
Plain Old Member

I'm leaning towards replacing these with the single, or 1/2 version of those with the LED's. Several manufacturers like Diamond have them. They have always proven reliable in my experience. May not quite look as good as the puck lights where they are located, but at least they'll function. I'm more about functionality.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 AM   #8

Will the singles be big enough to cover all of the screw holes?
I understand why you want them, less money out the door for bulbs but I would find the exposed holes if any bothersome.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #9
Plain Old Member

They'll cover the holes no problem, or at least they should. The lights like you have are wider than the flange on the puck lights I have. The only hole in the ceiling is way narrower than the light itself. Not going to make an overnight decision just yet. I'm headed home wednesday, so then I can actually put my hands on the puck light, and a light like you have that's been laying around my shop from another project / trailer.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
They'll cover the holes no problem, or at least they should. The lights like you have are wider than the flange on the puck lights I have. The only hole in the ceiling is way narrower than the light itself. Not going to make an overnight decision just yet. I'm headed home wednesday, so then I can actually put my hands on the puck light, and a light like you have that's been laying around my shop from another project / trailer.
Great!
A little time ashore and with family...
But I am sorry that you will spend some of it fixing problems.
Please be sure to let us know how it works out.

Tags
light, replacement