Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2014, 04:01 AM   #1

Replacing outside entry door light.

Has anyone replaced the outside door light on a late model Cedar Creek? I attempted to remove it so I could install one of the Star Lights Smart Light 1000 motion lights. I scored the sealant/caulk (looks like they used a non-silicone similar to ProFlex) and removed the two screws, the thing would not move. It appears they may have actually glued the entire fixture on with the sealant. I stopped at that point, got my Proflex and re-caulked it.
I would really like to install the Smart Light 1000 but I don't want to damage my CC taking the OEM light off.
Any suggestions?

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #2

I have not replaced the light, however, if you still what to replace it may be this will help with the glue or whatever they used. So you don't hurt or mess up the paint or your siding is, you can use fishing line, double the line and slide it between the side and the light, remember you can't go all the way through because of the wires, so just keep sliding the fishing line up and down going around the light, it should take the light right off.

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I have not replaced the light, however, if you still what to replace it may be this will help with the glue or whatever they used. So you don't hurt or mess up the paint or your siding is, you can use fishing line, double the line and slide it between the side and the light, remember you can't go all the way through because of the wires, so just keep sliding the fishing line up and down going around the light, it should take the light right off.
Option, wrap the fishing line around a couple of sticks so it doesn't cut your fingers.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Certified Curmudgeon

I replaced mine with the Starlights SL1000. The holes do not line up so be prepared to drill. The good news is that there is enough footprint on the SL1000 to cover the OEM holes and allow for centering over the door.
Helpful hint: Use tape over the new hole location to prevent chipping or cracking of the fiberglass when you drill.
Hope this helps.

BTW, just put one on the new coach yesterday. Used a putty knife with a thin cotton cloth over the sharp end to scrape the old light base off. No scratches or damage and reused the 10 lbs of thumb gum applied by the factory. Rolled it into a rope about 3/16 dia. and pressed it into the groove. Was careful not to plug the drain V on the bottom.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

I did not want the amber lens, so I go the clear lens for the same light assembly.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

With our led 5050 lights on a dusk to dawn control which we never turn off, we never use the amber light and disabled the puny, good for nothing step light and replaced it with led lights in the step cutout which are also controlled with the d-d control.

Tags
door, light