Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #21

I would sure love to have a bigger camper, if I was to get anything bigger than the Cedar Creek 36CKTS I would need a bigger truck. But I want to see what a month looks like without a truck payment. I hope you have a lot of fun with your new camper, we enjoy ours.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #22

I* have not had a vehicle payment for at least 5 years and never want one.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #23

If you like to Boondock stick with the gas and electric.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #24

I have residential refrigerator and dealer installed 2 12 volt batteries,I dont think they are enough for overnight at a wal mart
I have heard 4 6 volt golf cart batteries hold their charge longer and that is the more ideal thing to do. Anyv=body else have experience with this??
wingnut1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:07 PM   #25

Hard to beat golf cart batteries for amperage delivery. I run a pair of Trojans in series myself. If I had the room, I'd add 2 more.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Hard to beat golf cart batteries for amperage delivery. I run a pair of Trojans in series myself. If I had the room, I'd add 2 more.
I also have the 2 12v bat and have to ask, will the 2 6v Trojans give me more amp hours?

I had Trojans in my last motorhome and they were great.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post
I also have the 2 12v bat and have to ask, will the 2 6v Trojans give me more amp hours?

Depends... what ah are your 12v?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:28 PM   #28

I have had a propane unit and now a residential reefer. They are different and both have their advantages. If you are used to propane and switch to a residential unit and boondock you will find that it changes some of the things you do and how you do them.

You will find that you have more generator hours. You will find that you stop making morning coffee on the stove and switch to an electric coffee maker. Why? Simply because you will be running the genny for a couple of hours in the morning and a couple of hours before bedtime. You will find that 4 LEDs don't tell you anything about how much energy you have in reserve and become far less concerned about running the genny. When you turn it on, you will be tempted to let it run after you are done with what you needed the power for.

...but, you will find that you might as well store anything that can be cold in the reefer since you have more room there than anywhere else. You will stop buying ice. On long trips you will buy more than you need, take more with you and know that you can use what is left when you get where you are going anyway. You will be tempted to just leave the reefer running when your rig is in the driveway and maybe not unload everything the instant you get home.

Of course, all of this genny time has nothing to do with that satellite receiver. Nothing to do with 42 inch TV, or electric fireplace, or the heating element on a propane/electric hot water heater.

It changes things, in my opinion for the better. Think of it this way, you will never worry about varnish in your generator carb and hours are fundamentally good for most permanently installed generators.

2 deep cycle batteries will get you easily through the night at Walmart...but 4 would be better.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:46 PM   #29

Four six volts will run my residential FREEZER via inverter for 4 days easy !
wanderingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 06:57 PM   #30

Residential refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by florabama View Post

When you connect two or more batteries in parallel you sum (add) the amp hours but the voltage remains the same. This would be the case of 12v batteries.

When you connect two or more batteries in series you sum (add) the voltage but the amp hours remains the same. This would be the case of two 6v batteries. (For those that use more pairs of 6v batteries, they have pairs connected in series and those pairs paralleled so you end up with a combination ... but I don't want to confuse the issue.)

So... generally two decent 12 v batteries will have similar amp hours of two 6v batteries. However, there are several benefits using 6v golf cart batteries. Their ruggedness and ability to handle many, many, many draw-down and recharge cycles are legendary. Generally (there I go with a broad brush again), they are desired by boondockers who tend to push their batteries to the extreme.

But to answer your specific question, you have to tell us the amp hours of your 12v batteries. You will add the amp hours of the two.

I/we can tell you anything you want to know about Trojan batteries. Many of us have researched them to death. I have their specs in .pdf on my phone for reference.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:41 PM   #31

X2 on the 4-6volt batteries. Ours last for days. Have not looked back after moving to a coach with a residential refrigerator.
ttanous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:59 AM   #32

Talking about batteries, you need to look at 12 volt side of life, part 1 and 2
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator