Old 02-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #11
I've often wondered how being a camp host or working for a National Park would be. Hope your dream works out for you. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes...

CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM   #12
Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Ron and Jan,,,,Congratulations on this upcoming chapter in your life. Carol and I have been RV'ing for 11 years,,,,sold our house in Austin in 2011, and became full timers. We park host around the country and it's a great way to see America. Spent 6 months on the Oregon coast in Gold Beach as hosts,,,,,loved the area,,,,,spent 6 months in the San Juan Mountains of southwest Colorado,,,,,loved the area,,,,,,we're heading to a park host job in the Ozarks of Missouri in three weeks. We're volunteering for the Corps of Engineers in central Texas for this last year and a half. It doesn't matter where you go, you're going to love being there and being there long enough to experience behind the scenes of where you are. We stayed at Woodland RV park near where you're going to be when we visited Mt St Helens. You're going to love that area and the Gorge,,,,especially Multnomah Falls. Have fun!

Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:24 PM   #13
Happy Retirement! Wishing you all the best.

243 days till we join you. Also planning to be a campground host!

Forester 2451s
Forester 2451s
Wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
Cape disapointment?

I have never considered no cell service a bad thing, sounds like a plus to me!
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #15
Living the dream

My retirement dream/plan was to buy a RV and travel. Now 2 years into retirement and 18,000 miles on the RV I am living the dream and loving the lifestyle.
Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #16
Congrats on the terrible assignment!
2015 Denali Duramax 2500
2017 Coachmen 229TBS
2010 Shamrock 21SS - sold!
flymhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
I retired at the end of 2009 and started hosting at our local state park (about 25 miles from home) that August. DH retired in June 2012 and we began hosting a little more. We are still hosting there for two months each year and have been hosting for 1 1/2 months at a SP in Maryland for the last two years. We only get to do that during the summer months because even though we are retired, we have elementary aged children! Until I decide to home school, if I ever do, we will continue to do the summertime thing.

We LOVE it and meet some of the nicest people, help a bunch of great rangers/staff and the free camping is not bad, either. I wouldn't really call it WORK, more playing and enjoyment than work......until they bang on your door at 1:30 in the morning because they got held up at work and now, can't find their campsite.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:33 PM   #18
Thanks for all your replies. It is so awesome to be in touch with other RVers. Excited to get started.
Ron & Jan and black dog(Bella)
2011 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4, 6sp manual,342's 8ft.bed
2014 CC Silverback 29ik
R&J Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #19
Send a message via Yahoo to Maron
We retired 2 years ago & last Spring when we were checking into the Chain o Lakes state park in northern Illinois for our maximum 14 day stay, a ranger asked if we would like to host for the summer. It was great! our RV site was free and most of it was on a full hook up site. We hiked, biked, fished and boated away the summer while meeting and helping wonderful campers from all over the world. We shared the 6500 acre park with baby deer, turkeys, sand cranes, foxes, raccoons and 9 other Camphost couples who we became great friends with. Duty time was 3 eight hour shifts a week. We also took 2 weeks for our selves when we wanted to get away.
It was a great summer and we just accepted the park superintendent's invite to come back again this summer. We're looking forward to it.
Maron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:59 AM   #20
We retired and started hosting for Oregon State Parks.....may not be right for everybody but we enjoy every day of it!!

cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote