Old 06-27-2012, 05:22 PM   #1

Question Rocker switch on dometic 9100 power awning

The motor went out on our 9100 dometic power awning, it was under warrany so we took it to have it fixed. We have no Forest River dealers in our town anymore so had to take it to another dealer. They put a new motor on it and when we got it home, (should have tried it there) the rocker switch is stuck in the out position so I can no longer put the awning out half way, I have to extend it out completey to bring it back in. The tech at the shop told us that is how it is supposed to work, not so, called dometic and they said awning should be able to go out partway and brought back in without having to extend it completly. I knew that is how it worked before we had the new motor replaced. Dometic tells us we now need a new rocker switch. I am leary about taking it back to the shop that did the work as they don't seem to know much about it! We were also told by one of the people working there that they didn't like to do warranty work on any unit except what they sell?? Has anyone but a rocker arm switch in themselves and how hard would it be???

Old 06-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Easy easy easy.
Carefully pop out old switch and remove. Then install one wire at a time in same position on new switch.
Test and install.
Done.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Call the Dometic customer service rep.
They should send you a switch free if it is broken.
Hardest part is making sure the wires are connected properly.

What I don't understand is the "not stopping part way" and the "stuck in the out" bit.

My Dometic A&E 9100 awning only runs the motor when the key is pressed and stops running when you release it. In fact, our "remote control" mods depend on that.

If the switch was stuck in the "out," the awning would be "out" all the time. The motor would always be running trying to wrap the awning material backwards till the fuse blew or tha material ripped.

Could you explain more about what is going on?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic 9100 Power Awning User Guide.pdf (404.7 KB, 253 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #4

Well we had to have the motor replaced and when we got it back the switch on the wall doens't rock, it is in the out position, If I press the switch to extent the awning it works fine, but if I only want to extend it part way and then retract it back in I have to extend the awning all the way out before I can retract it in, the switch always goes back to awning out, whether it is in or out. We called Dometic and they think it is the rocker switch but, want us to return it to the shop that fixed it to have it repaired. They tell us that we should be able to extend the awning as far as we want and retract it without having to extend it fully to retract it. Does that make sense. And the rocker switch used to rock to awning in or awning out, now the switch just stays in the out position no matter if the awning is extended or retracted. The funny thing is the shop that fixed it told us that the awning has to be fully extended to have it retract?? We knew that was not the case. Problem is the shop is so busy it can take weeks for them to even look at it and then they have to order parts and then they work on it when they can..Last time it was two weeks to fix a motor?? Hope that makes sense to you, Also Dometic told us that a new rocker switch has to be ordered from Forest River as all of them are different. I know we could fix it ourselves if we had the switch!
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #5

Could the switch be hooked up backwards?
Old 06-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Does it look like this?

Dometic Black Electric Awning Arms Extend Retract Remote Switch for RV Trailer | eBay

Mine is white but it is the same switch.

If it does not spring load back to center it is broken.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by hihosilver09 View Post
Well we had to have the motor replaced and when we got it back the switch on the wall doens't rock, it is in the out position, If I press the switch to extent the awning it works fine, but if I only want to extend it part way and then retract it back in I have to extend the awning all the way out before I can retract it in, the switch always goes back to awning out, whether it is in or out. We called Dometic and they think it is the rocker switch but, want us to return it to the shop that fixed it to have it repaired. They tell us that we should be able to extend the awning as far as we want and retract it without having to extend it fully to retract it. Does that make sense. And the rocker switch used to rock to awning in or awning out, now the switch just stays in the out position no matter if the awning is extended or retracted. The funny thing is the shop that fixed it told us that the awning has to be fully extended to have it retract?? We knew that was not the case. Problem is the shop is so busy it can take weeks for them to even look at it and then they have to order parts and then they work on it when they can..Last time it was two weeks to fix a motor?? Hope that makes sense to you, Also Dometic told us that a new rocker switch has to be ordered from Forest River as all of them are different. I know we could fix it ourselves if we had the switch!
Herk, I think the switch has been overheated and one of the springs inside has collapsed and the contacts have welded themselves together. A new switch will no doubt fix the problem as you stated.
Which is probably what burnt the motor up originally.

In the mean time, I would immediately remove the switch as it will burn the new motor up if used or pull the fuse on the awning.

OP can always take the switch apart and break the welded contact on an emergency basis or just reverse the leads and disconnect it when the awning is retracted.

Tags
awning, led pad