Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2018, 02:55 PM   #1

Roller Shades

So far I’ve had to replace 6 brackets and replaced 2 shades and repaired another because of the plastic tabs breaking on the hanger brackets. I’m sure I’m not the only one that’s had problems.
Has anyone come up with an idea to keep the shade from falling when the tabs break?
I’ve worked on several ideas I had but haven’t hit on a fix yet.
Dodge man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:17 PM   #2

All the shades fell last year on the trip to Alaska but the shades fell before we were even in Canada. Cedar Creek installs metal brackets now. See if you can get more brackets from Cedar Creek and anywhere you have two brackets put three in. The back window in the camper fell twice, the last time it messed up the roller. At the rally last year Cedar Creek fixed that and the tech installed four brackets on the rear window. I was given more brackets at the rally. Even the metal brackets won’t hold if there is not enough brackets holding up the window shade
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:20 PM   #3

Oh one other thing I found out that a 12in extended drill bit works great. I found one with a number 2 square bit.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #4

I wrapped a zip tie around the bracket to the shade and have not lost a shade since
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:27 PM   #5

Zip tie idea

Not a bad idea but how did you get two hands in there to work?
I’ve been toying with the idea of a long #10 screw that I would drill small hole thru valance and go just above shade roller (touching bottom part of frame) and set it into wallboard to take the weight off the brackets. About 4 screws on each long shade should be enough.
I’d like to have some input on why it won’t work to help me think it thru.
If it would work it would be an easy do. Of course you’d have to hide screw with paint of something.
Dodge man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge man View Post
Not a bad idea but how did you get two hands in there to work?
I’ve been toying with the idea of a long #10 screw that I would drill small hole thru valance and go just above shade roller (touching bottom part of frame) and set it into wallboard to take the weight off the brackets. About 4 screws on each long shade should be enough.
I’d like to have some input on why it won’t work to help me think it thru.
If it would work it would be an easy do. Of course you’d have to hide screw with paint of something.
I pulled the valence down.
Kodiak Disc Brakes
97flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:41 AM   #7

After all my shades fell, some twice, I am as good putting up shades as the techs at the factory. I brought a cordless drill just for that.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #8

Are you talking about MCD Day/Night shades? Mine are aftermarket, and not one has fallen, even going to Alaska. Installed by MCD. They are hung by metal brackets/clips, two on the short ones and three on the long. I pulled them all off today as part of remodeling, and they were a pain in the ass to get down.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:14 AM   #9

How do you get the valence down to work on the shades? I have 2 that are broken as well.
kautzmank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautzmank View Post
How do you get the valence down to work on the shades? I have 2 that are broken as well.
They are screwed into the wall and in some case the bracket for the shade may have screws that will be used to support the valence. You need to look very carefully to find the screws that are in the valences.

I have had to remove my valences to replace a couple of failed brackets for my roller shades.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

I just got rid of my valances (part of remodeling), and when remounting my shades, I had to use a work around. Originally, they had either two or three metal clips installed in the valance. I mounted a .5"x2" wood strip to the ceiling, then mounted the clips to that. Without the additional support provided by the wooden strip, I'm sure they would rip out as we bounce down the road.

Those that have failed brackets, are they plastic or metal?
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
I just got rid of my valances (part of remodeling), and when remounting my shades, I had to use a work around. Originally, they had either two or three metal clips installed in the valance. I mounted a .5"x2" wood strip to the ceiling, then mounted the clips to that. Without the additional support provided by the wooden strip, I'm sure they would rip out as we bounce down the road.

Those that have failed brackets, are they plastic or metal?

Both. Cedar Creek installed the plastic ones at the factory. They were having problems with the plastic brackets and I was given a bag of metal brackets at the factory. The wide shades didn’t have enough brackets so two fell again after I installed the metal brackets. At the rally I was given more brackets as one curtain had fell and messed up the curtain. That was fixed at the rally last year
Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #13

Wow, hard to believe that they'd go with plastic for the amount of weight that they had to hold. What for, to save a few pennies?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:09 AM   #14

Roller Shades

It is not Cedar Creek but the shade manufacturer who provides the hardware with the roller shade. I called Irvine Shade &Door Inc. who is the manufacturer of the roller shades for replacement brackets. When I called they asked for the style of bracket I had and they said that there was a redesign to the bracket and they would send me replacement brackets. The only roller shades that have failed on my unit were the two for the largest windows in the trailer. The shades only had three brackets supporting them which is not enough, there should be between four and five brackets to support the roller shade.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:23 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I believe the only redesign was in the plastic composition. I have a bunch of extras that I keep for if/when they break again. Adding at least one or two more on larger shades definitely help. Spend some time and figure out the valance mounting points and it will save a lot of headache of trying to attach the shades back up, especially on the tall valances.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #16

We have a brand new cedar creek 33ik and the back window shade the plastic on the bottom fell off.The smaller window in the back the shade has pinholes in it and the light shines through.We have a table that turns into a bed and the top has cracks in it. The stove is crooked. One of the speakers on the outside doesn't work. All minor issues but when you pay the amount of money that they are going for things should be perfect.Hopefully they will address these issues. Will see next week. I had day night cloth shades in the heartland we had. Regretting trading it in. Some things are better tho. More comfortable chairs. Gel coat.Nice stairs. Shower is bigger but bathroom very small. Bathroom door is so weird. Not sure if it was installed wrong. Its a pocket door that doesn't go into any pocket. Didn't notice it as it was locked in open position. Someone else mentioned no surround sound and no bedroom speakers. Next time will pay more attention. lol
Katmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote