Old 08-28-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Roof repair

2011 36 RE, Roof torn front left side.
Does anyone know if the factory does out of warranty repairs???

I believe some wood has to be replaced and possibly a new rubber roof.
Also some possible damage under the front cap where water has gotten in.

A current factory name & phone number would be helpful also...

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_182600_001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	118641   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160827_182814_001.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	376.7 KB
ID:	118642  

Old 08-28-2016, 05:33 PM   #2

Sorry I have no clue where you should turn but would be interested in the story of how it came to look like that.

Old 08-28-2016, 07:35 PM   #3

I don't believe the factory does any non-warranty work. You might check with your local rv dealership for repairs.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #4

Maybe Eternabond tape

I looked into paying to have a TPE roof replaced and some wood repaired some years ago. I got numbers like $2600, $3300. I was at one dealer where they were replacing a roof and a lot of rotted wood behind the cap. I asked the guy how much that was going to cost and he said they had blown past $5000 and it wasn't finished. So, I went back to the DIY method.

If the wood is sound enough to keep the seams together and glue the rubber back down on the wood, you might be able to fix this with Eternabond tape.

I fixed some pretty bad leaks with this product. I once repaired a serious tear caused by a low hanging limb. It was a lot more ragged than your tear. Then and now I keep an Eternabond 'repair kit' in my trailer. I like the 6" white TPE and I use a lot of the 'double-stick' which does not have the TPE backer.

I now use Eternabond proactively at the seams at the roof rubber and the fiberglass cap. With good surface preparation it is about as good as the original roof.

it's not cheap and it takes a bit of practice to learn to work with this sticky stuff but I've found nothing better for roof repair and prevention. You need the Teflon scissors and a roller to activate the adhesive, maybe $40 in tooling.

They all leak at the seam between the cap and roof rubber. That's why I proactively lay down a 6" strip of Eternabond at those seams before it leaks.

Without knowing the condition of your wood it would be impossible to say for certain you might get away with a little new wood decking and Eternabond tape. But it's possible. If the wood will hold the screws it might work.

I had one trailer that had some soft spots but I was able to Eternabond tape over the area where it leaked under a luggage rack and never had another problem. It was just a little bit of a soft spot but as I said it never leaked.

I have also cutover from Dicor to the Eternacaulk. Stays cleaner and is more flexible. Price is about the same.

When I first began using the product I had some questions. These folks were helpful and know a lot about the materials we are dealing with on these trailers.
EternaBond

I know from personal experience how it feels to have serious roof leak or decaying wood. If you can get by without removing the cap, it might not be too difficult to fix. I hope you get it worked out.

Good luck.

Ken
Old 08-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #5

Hey Ken, I too use Eternabond tape for preventative measures. It is great stuff! I went to their WEB site to see about Eternacaulk. They don't say if it is self leveling or not. How is it to work?

2012 CC 36CKTS Touring Edition
[SIZE=2]2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Hey Ken, I too use Eternabond tape for preventative measures. It is great stuff! I went to their WEB site to see about Eternacaulk. They don't say if it is self leveling or not. How is it to work?
where are you talking about preventative maintenace, like where the cap and roof material meet? Thanks
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2

2016 Camping Days=38
wls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wls View Post
where are you talking about preventative maintenace, like where the cap and roof material meet? Thanks
Yup. Also along the side where self leveling sealant is used. In a couple of years the sealant will fail. The tape is going to last 10 to 15 years.

Old 08-29-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_GA View Post
Yup. Also along the side where self leveling sealant is used. In a couple of years the sealant will fail. The tape is going to last 10 to 15 years.
good to know, thanks
2008 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins. Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter, 36 Gal aux fuel tank. Mag Hytec Trans pan. Mag Hytec Diff Pan. 6 speed autostick. 3:73, Timbrens, Smarty JR. Equipped.
2016 Cedar Creek 38FB2

2016 Camping Days=38
wls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 03:35 PM   #9

Yes the Factory will do repair work, I just had my whole roof replaced for 5400.00 at the factory took 4 days. These roofs are bonded together in layers they measure the roof and cut outs, then they unbolt the whole roof and remove in one section, then the new one is bolted back in place, they include all vents and skylights, antenna and a new seal for the A/C. Just call the maintenance number in the library for your division. Either you delv. the unit or they will pick it up and bring it back, the transportation cost was 1950.00 for mine, I dove it there instead. A dealer can not make that repair if the plywood was damaged as mine. Its all laminated together.
1) rubber roof
2) plywood 3/8"
3) insulation and duct cut outs
4) inside ceiling
after installed they reinstall all your lights and speakers in the sealing and reinstall the cap (on a 5th wheel) and the back wall. They also installed all new gutter around both sides. The only place that can do it right when the deck is a problem is the factory...here are the contact #'s for you
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ContactInformation (1) (3) (1) (1).pdf (46.2 KB, 19 views)
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Yes the Factory will do repair work, I just had my whole roof replaced for 5400.00 at the factory took 4 days.
I see that your unit is the same year as mine. What happened to damage your roof at such a young age?

Tags
repair, roo, roof, roof repair