Old 05-02-2019, 03:54 PM   #1

Running AC Inside Closed Storage

Got a question that someone can hopefully answer. I got a new Hathaway 34IK and want to do a full shakedown of the unit before taking it on its first camping trip. I have the RV stored in a fully enclosed 18x45 foot storage building with garage doors. Can I run the two AC units while the RV is inside the storage building or should I pull it outside? I have 50amp shore power inside building. I did plan to leave garage door fully open. I am not sure if being inside will place more stress on system given not much air movement and can get hotter during the day. I live in Northeast Georgia and itís in the 80ís for high now. Probably 95+ towards top of building. Thoughts.....

poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I'd have no issues running them as long as you are using shore power and not a generator for current. (carbon monoxide in an enclosed space)

You can always leave the garage door open as you mentioned.

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=50
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #3
PPST Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I'd have no issues running them as long as you are using shore power and not a generator for current. (carbon monoxide in an enclosed space)

You can always leave the garage door open as you mentioned.
I agree (for what itís worth)

Ken and Terry
2010 Georgetown 330TS being pushed by our
2017 GMC Terrain toad (4 wheels down)
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:49 PM   #4

I assume you are meaning is it going to harm the a/c? If you have ?? 4 feet or more of overhead and can get air movement I would say it is O.K. The problem is you cannot monitor the condensing temp/head pressure as it operates.. or at all. If I wanted to do this I would ensure plenty of overhead, install/hang a high velocity fan in the back of the garage(you should feel a bit of breeze at the front when running) and not use anymore than needed. All that said... it could be O.K., but is it worth the possible over amping/excessive discharge of the compressor. One might argue the outdoor temps are higher than ? 120 sometimes... true, but they have some airflow.

I would say to hang a thermometer you can see/digital readout maybe a foot from the ceiling and as long as it stays below a 100 I am sure its ok.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
I assume you are meaning is it going to harm the a/c? If you have ?? 4 feet or more of overhead and can get air movement I would say it is O.K. The problem is you cannot monitor the condensing temp/head pressure as it operates.. or at all. If I wanted to do this I would ensure plenty of overhead, install/hang a high velocity fan in the back of the garage(you should feel a bit of breeze at the front when running) and not use anymore than needed. All that said... it could be O.K., but is it worth the possible over amping/excessive discharge of the compressor. One might argue the outdoor temps are higher than ? 120 sometimes... true, but they have some airflow.

I would say to hang a thermometer you can see/digital readout maybe a foot from the ceiling and as long as it stays below a 100 I am sure its ok.

Thanks for info. I do have an automatic gable fan that fires up at 90 degrees. There is about a 3-4í clearance above roof of RV. It does make me a tad nervous to run while inside storage for reasons you mentioned. I will get that thermometer and get a reading to be sure.
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbug054 View Post
Thanks for info. I do have an automatic gable fan that fires up at 90 degrees. There is about a 3-4í clearance above roof of RV. It does make me a tad nervous to run while inside storage for reasons you mentioned. I will get that thermometer and get a reading to be sure.
No problem at all . the ac's have there own condenser fans to move air . as long as there is an escape for the hot air they generate .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolbug054 View Post

10-4. I didnít see that in the original post...ha ha. With the fans on and that much overhead I am sure you will be fine.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #8
Former Navy

Running A/C in an enclosed space.

Your A/C won't know if you're in an enclosed space or in a wide open space. It won't know the temperature outside of your camper.

It will only try to obtain the temperature you ask for inside your camper.

Which of course will be affected by the amount of direct sun on your camper's exterior...or the humidity, or the number of times you open the doors...or how wide open you left the windows you didn't remember to close.
Former Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:59 PM   #9

[QUOTE=Former Navy;2087412]Your A/C won't know if you're in an enclosed space or in a wide open space. It won't know the temperature outside of your camper.

I donít know your background nor you mine.

The ambient temperature on an a/c directly affects the operation. The minimum amount of airflow around the condenser is also critical. The main issues with an enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces are... increased air temp. and recirculated condenser air(hot). Neither are good.

One wants the maximum about of good fresh air for the condenser...heck the evaporator too.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #10

[QUOTE=Iwannacamp;2087432]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Navy View Post
Your A/C won't know if you're in an enclosed space or in a wide open space. It won't know the temperature outside of your camper.

I donít know your background nor you mine.

The ambient temperature on an a/c directly affects the operation. The minimum amount of airflow around the condenser is also critical. The main issues with an enclosed or semi-enclosed spaces are... increased air temp. and recirculated condenser air(hot). Neither are good.

One wants the maximum about of good fresh air for the condenser...heck the evaporator too.
Seems to be a non issue for the OP's set up . all air flow around the condenser is by the condenser fan . as long as he has a flow of fresh air and not recirculating the same heated air as could happen in a completely enclosed area , he is fine to run his unit without fear . the evaporator just recycles interior air
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:37 PM   #11
Retired Old Fart

Guys, it's a new rig. I think he just wants to double check everything before a trip. And I thought I was bad about overthinking stuff.....

I see nothing wrong with his original idea.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:11 AM   #12

Only people in a rich country with cheap energy would consider wasting electricity like that.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:30 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post
Only people in a rich country with cheap energy would consider wasting electricity like that.
freaking electricity ... lets get rid of it and all of our $$$

Frank & Cindy *** Rockwood Ultra Lite *** 2019 Ram *** Remi & Sage traveling Pomskies *** TST 507 TPMS *** B&W Patriot 18K *** 3.92 axle *** Goodyear Endurance *** 32 days camped 2019 *** Predator 3500
frank4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage