Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Rusting Slide Rod

Hi, All!
The photo below is the rod that you see under the dining room slide on the entry side of the slide on our 9 month old 34IK. This is the portion that remains exposed when the slide is in for travel. We live in Western Oregon and have not driven on ANY salted roads (don't do that here), although, it was delivered from the factory last March, assuming it traveled on salted roads then (?).

Does any other 34IK owner out there have rust like this on this rod? Is this something that we should report to the dealer for repair or replacement? It's still under warranty until March 2020.

Thanks...love this forum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_7800.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	219113  
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #2

Ours looks the same and we are in Florida. Every hydraulic slide we’ve had had these adjustment rods exposed. Just spray a little WD40 or other preventative coating and don’t worry.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #3

Agreed. Again in Florida some beach camping maby once or twice a year . For the most part not by salt. The threads are not polished like the rest of the hydraulic rod. I second wd or better corrosion x is good also lots of good products. No worries though.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #4

I spray this exposed rod with the same dry-lube I use on the slide mechanism itself.

Before you spray anything on yours it would be a good idea to wire brush all the rust and corrosion off that you can.

WD-40 is OK but not really a good long term rust prevention product in my experience. So far (3 years) the Camco Slide Out Lube and Protectant I've used has kept mine rust free and I live near the salt water on the other side of the US. It goes on wet then dries and leaves a good lube film that isn't easily washed off when driving in the rain. I'm sure there are others but the Camco product seems to do everything they claim.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #5

Thanks!

Thanks all! Will just wire brush and spray it with lubricant. Glad to know not ANOTHER trip to the dealer!
Happy trails!
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

the threads will never have paint on them unless they're painted AFTER the nut is run up. A little Rust-O-leum and good to go, still can move the adjustment later on if need be, just respray
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide