Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
Just Creeking Around

Satellite Service?

Well it is time to outfit the new 36RE, and get it ready to hit the road. The DW and I are avid television viewers and have never had satellite service...ever! Here lies the problem as we know nothing about satellite. Through ardous reviews and homework we have decided on Direct TV with the Wineguard Traveler Sk-3005 Slimline antenna. This will have two recievers. First the HR-24. We will place this one in the bedroom so we can record a second progran while watching another in the living room. The living room will be the H-24. The system will deliver HD.

Has anybody dealt with this kind of system? The package is offered by Wineguard (Direct TV service and Recievers). Our local dealer will provide and install the antenna and test/activate the system. Oh did mention the 1st reciever is free. (the DVR one ofcourse) and the 2nd only 99.00. Is this a good deal?

Jerry and Carol
Pahrump, Nevada
2014 38CK-Auto Levelers
2012 F350 Super Duty Crew, Air Bags, Pull-Rite Superglide, Splendee Combo.
F R O G, GS
Jerry L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

never had direct tv .
But dish has a pay as you go service for campers.
auto aligning dish
receiver
remote

I have dish at home and just take a receiver from my shop when we go camping.
I manually tune my dish as it sits on a tripod but if I ever run into a deal on an auto aligning dish I will buy one .

IT boils down to what your happy with paying .

Good luck and have fun !

Welcome to the forum !

TURBS
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #3

we have had dish network at home for about 15 years and at our seasonal campsite for the last 2 good price good equipment good service
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #4

We have the Tailgater through Dish network. We use the pay as you go option which let's you activate monthly. The dish automatically locates the satellites. Only downside is you can only hook up one TV. But it is easy to change the input to the bedroom if you want.
FR28footer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #5

We have Direct TV and I have an extra dish and a tripod, the tripod I made out of a light tower. We take our receiver from home and use it while camping it works great, no matter where we go and set it up we get our home channels and with Direct TV you only need to pick up one signal not two like some other systems..........
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #6

I use one of my directv HD DVRs from home while camping. I have a slimline dish that I mount on a tripod. Works great.

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #7

i also use dish with the tailgator. that set up will cost ~$500 (rec and tailgator). tailgator alone is ~$300.
i normally keep the receiver plugged in and use it in the house when not on the road. i also have paid the extra one time $40 that allows an external hard drive. this gives me all the features and speed of a DVR.
the only thing i can't receive is the local channels if i get too far from home. get all the HD and SD channels that i subscribe to.
the tailgator sets itself up. just screw the cable onto it then plug in the receiver. answer the question abt what state ur in and let it do the rest. takes 1 to 3 minutes.
when i bought the tailgator, the cost of the tailgaror and receiver was abt $200 less than the automatic winguard alone. (the winguard will work with a wider selection of receivers though).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #8

I use a Dish receiver from the house and a portable dish. Like f100turbo looking for a self aligning dish on sale. Went camping with a friend and in the time it took me to just do the Switch test, he had the self aligning dish up and going.

Nights Camped 2012 (7) 2013 (33) 2014 (27) 2015 (34) 2016 (27) 2017 (32) 2018 (34) 2019 (35) 2020 (20) 2021 (5)
Kaboom is offline   Reply With Quote