Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Wayne & Kim

One of the first things I started researching when we got our first rig was satellite options. We have Dish Network at home and was looking closely at Tailgater.

Winguard has an option that will feed 2 receivers, which is good with the 36CKTS since you have the wiring setup like that in the docking station so easy to do.

But we don't plan to boondock, and every place we have gone thus far has cable. So we have opted not to buy one yet.

We have also been buying DVD triple packs and keeping the DVD version in the rig for those rainy days. Also put some other duplicates in there, so have nice collection of movies and TV shows.

I also have an Apple TV that I bring so I can have access to Netflix, stream music, etc. Verizon MiFi is a must take on each trip too!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:44 AM   #22

Craigslist

Here's what I did last year. I have directv. Check Craigslist just search "directv antenna". A lot of the ads are from independent Dish/Directv retailers and installers. Contacted one and he sold me a new latest version directv SWM antenna with a tripod mount and a good length of coax for $70. Worth it to me. I had a older HD/DVR receiver that I was gonna use but Directv was going to require me to pay for DVR service ($10 mo) which I didn't want. Went back to guy and he sold me the latest version HD receiver for $100. Doing it this way I own the equipment and I am not locked into a contract with Directv.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #23

danno2u, Are you getting a lot of use out of your 5 gig. I don't do video or audio and mine goes thru that 5 gig fast. last month I had to buy an extra gig.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #24

Has any one tried Google's Chromecast attachment? I use it to stream video from the internet onto my home TV from my computer. It can also be used from an iPhone or iPad.
You need access to an HDMI port on your RV TV to plug in. Also need WiFi.
This would save a satellite dish and charges.
I have an old TV in my 2006 GeorgeTown RV.
guy
Old 03-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer69 View Post
danno2u, Are you getting a lot of use out of your 5 gig. I don't do video or audio and mine goes thru that 5 gig fast. last month I had to buy an extra gig.
I use the Verizon app on my Iphone to track my usage. I surf a lot but like you, I avoid online videos. In the past 21 months, I've gone over my 5 gig twice, both times by 1 gig. The culprit in both cases was Steam auto-updating some games that I play. I try to turn off all auto-updating and only do updates when I am on a camp wifi or at the end of my Verizon billing period when I have gigs remaining in my cap. If I successfully control auto-updates, I tend to get through the month with a couple gigs to spare.

Today for instance, I have 3.3 gigs remaining and 9 days left in my billing period. That's pretty typical for me. But everyone uses the internet differently.

I thought about tethering my ATT Iphone thus getting 5 gig from ATT & 5 gig from Verizon each month. But ATT coverage is so poor in rural areas that I camp that I wouldn't benefit. So I kept my unlimited data plan on my Iphone with ATT. So if there's a video that I really want to see on my computer, I pull it up on my Iphone for free.

happy gigging!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:24 PM   #26

Thanks for all the suggestions. After listening to everyone, I think we are going to bite the bullet and get the Winegard Traveler for Direct tv. The CC 36 ckts comes prewired for the Wingard Traveler. When we asked the serviceman about installation, he said it would take 6 hours and then another hour each for each receiver. They quoted us over $900 for installation. What can possibly take 8 hours on a prewired 5th wheel? It just doesn't sound right.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:21 PM   #27

I think you'll love your Trav'ler! I see it on so many RVs every time we camp.

As to installation, I have installed a Trav'ler (the same one) on 2 RVs now. On my XLR, there was nothing pre-wired. So I had to pick a spot and drill a hole through the roof for the cables. I'm a handy guy but it was a little scary drilling a 3/4 inch hole in my roof. I drilled from the inside out after many careful measurements. Other than that one hole, there was nothing challenging about installing the Trav'ler. I used the proper self-leveling sealant and followed the directions. It took me maybe 3 hours and I was extremely careful and slow. See this thread for more details:
New 35x12 & Trav'ler Dish question

When I traded in my XLR for my Cedar Creek Silverback last month, I removed the Trav'ler from the XLR and installed it on this RV. The pre-wiring made it a snap! I'd say it took me about 45 minutes on the roof. Basically, you just find a spot where it has the proper clearance and is within 3 degrees of level on your roof. You squirt the sealant in a ring where you will place the Trav'ler. Then you place the Trav'ler and screw in 9 little screws. Then you place more sealant around the lip and screws and it's installed. You bolt on the dish itself at the end. Hardest thing is getting the thing up to the roof to work on it. I used a strap & my wife and lugged it up carefully.

The pre-wiring really made my day. On the roof of your RV there is a little label that says cut here for Trav'ler cables (or something to that extent). I carefully cut through the label with a razor knife and fished out the 3 cables -- the control cable and 2 coax leads. Most likely, your best mounting spot for the Trav'ler will be within a few feet of that location. The cables all fit right in. I never had to drill anything and that made my day. Inside the RV somewhere, you will find a cover plate that is labeled Winegard control cable. Mine was in a closet in the nose. That is where you place the control box -- there's a plug nearby too. Then you have coax lead at each TV labeled satellite TV. My pre-wiring supported 2 TVs -- the Trav'ler itself has 3 coax leads so maybe there are 3 leads on a large RV? You can't use a traditional splitter so each TV gets a separate lead.

By the way, I believe Camping World says they will install anything (including a Trav'ler) for something like $89.

I can take a picture of my installation if you are thinking about DITY.

Happy satelliting!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM   #28

Installation

I knew this guy misquoted the installation price. My hubby is very handy and is a do it yourselfer. However, he is nervous to drill into the roof.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 AM   #29

CW

I too have am considering a Traveler and checked with Camping World that said if bought from them the install is $39.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:11 AM   #30
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
The Cadillac solution is the Wingard Trav'ler. They make one for DirectTV & one for Dish. We have Dish. With the Trav'ler, you just pull into your campsite, push a button, and the satellite hones in on the signal. We receive three satellites & full HD. The downside to the Trav'ler is cost (about $1,500) and installation (about $89 if you don't DITY). You can also set up a DVR by adding a hard drive to the receiver(s). We're full timers in our RV and love our Trav'ler setup!
We have the Cadillac of satellite dish, and we love it. We have been at WDW ft wilderness for 10 days and have had no problems with signal. We just pulled into the site,leveled, then turned on the switch. We have direct tv and there are only two complaints. One is that we can not get the local stations from back home and two, do not like the way lazy days installed it. I have wires hanging everywhere. But that's just their service dept. that I am now fighting with. But we wouldn't trade it for anything.