Old 03-12-2014, 11:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
I knew this guy misquoted the installation price. My hubby is very handy and is a do it yourselfer. However, he is nervous to drill into the roof.
With an RV that is pre-wired, you shouldn't need to drill through the roof.

For RVs that aren't pre-wired (like my previous XLR), I chose a location inside the RV where I wanted the cables to come down. It was inside a cabinet near the TV. From inside the cabinet, I drilled upwards to the roof (after carefully checking the roof to make sure I was clear up there as well). It really wasn't a big deal. The roof is constructed of two layers of thick plywood or fiberboard with insulation in between. When I sold the RV & removed the Trav'ler, a simple piece of white tape completely hid the hole inside the cabinet. Of course, I had to seal the opening onto the roof too.

I could see an installation costing much more if the installer took the time to hide cables inside the RV. That's the beauty of the pre-wiring -- there are very few cables TO hide.

danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #32

I want to put a dish on top of my C/C too, one day I will get my nerve up and try it on my own. You have to watch Camping World, I can buy the Trav'ler for Dish for $1200.00 plus free shipping and from Camping World its $1500.00 plus $80.00 shipping. I brought the camper from Tom Johnson and I thought they might be a little cheaper on the install but they told me it would take 4 hours, it looks like I am going to do it on my own or at least try. Camping World gave me a price to install a propane regulator and two hoses at @$125 per hour and it would take a hour and a half, thats $200.00 and I did it in 15 min. The moral of the story is I will try the install myself. Also you have to pay tax on what you buy from C/W and that with the install would be $1785.83 in NC, I would save $585.83. Me doing the work looks better and better

Old 03-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #33

My thoughts exactly Spock123! But not everyone has the mech aptitude to do a self-install. You have to know your own limits.

It took me some research to decide whether to install the Trav'ler on the optional mounting pad (SKA-008). The pad is $120 & sold separately. I finally decided that if you have a walk-on roof, the roof will support the Trav'ler just fine as is. I did use the optional landing pad for the roller but that accessory is less than $10.

I bought my Trav'ler thru Amazon for around $1100. I don't know why the DirectTV version is several hundred more than the Dish version.

In general with RVs, I've happier with my own handiwork than with what I've gotten from a paid mechanic. But some things are beyond my capability so I have no choice.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #34

We also bought our Cedar Creek from tom Johnson. They told us $1650 for the traveler and $950 to install it.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #35

I thought that since my Cedar Creek was prewired for the Trav'ler that it would not cost much to get the dish installed, boy was I wrong. I am going to try myself, if I mess up then I will take it somewhere. Just a thought but on Amazon now they charge tax for shipping to NC but you can get the Trav'ler Dish from Dyers for $1199 with free shipping and no tax, I have ordered from them and they have great service
Old 03-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #36
jlf

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
My thoughts exactly Spock123! But not everyone has the mech aptitude to do a self-install. You have to know your own limits.

It took me some research to decide whether to install the Trav'ler on the optional mounting pad (SKA-008). The pad is $120 & sold separately. I finally decided that if you have a walk-on roof, the roof will support the Trav'ler just fine as is. I did use the optional landing pad for the roller but that accessory is less than $10.

I bought my Trav'ler thru Amazon for around $1100. I don't know why the DirectTV version is several hundred more than the Dish version.

In general with RVs, I've happier with my own handiwork than with what I've gotten from a paid mechanic. But some things are beyond my capability so I have no choice.
Totally agree. If I knew how to attach pictures to the thread, I would show you what a dealer can do to a brand never taken off the lot, $85,000 investment. My husband is very handy except when it comes to the RV. He gets very nervous. So I know if you can do it yourself, you will take pride in it and not do a crappy job.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #37

Photos of installation

For Spock123, here are a couple shots of my installation on a pre-wired Silverback 29RE. At first glance you might think I mounted it too close to the vents but the vents are below 8 inches (closed) and far enough away for the Trav'ler to work just fine. Notice the small landing pad where the rollers touch the roof when retracted.

Needless to say, I measured several times to make sure I had clearance from all the stuff in that area.

I wrapped the cables in a cheap piece of plastic tubing from Home Depot (or Lowes -- both have it) just to minimize their flapping around while driving. Then I anchored the plastic tubing to the roof and sealed all screws. I cut the plastic tubing along the bottom edge to make it easier to get the 3 cables (1 control cable & 2 coax cables) in.

Holler if you have questions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04249.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	47785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04250.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	47786  
Old 03-15-2014, 08:14 PM   #38
jlf

Quote:
For Spock123, here are a couple shots of my installation on a pre-wired Silverback 29RE. At first glance you might think I mounted it too close to the vents but the vents are below 8 inches (closed) and far enough away for the Trav'ler to work just fine. Notice the small landing pad where the rollers touch the roof when retracted.

Needless to say, I measured several times to make sure I had clearance from all the stuff in that area.

I wrapped the cables in a cheap piece of plastic tubing from Home Depot (or Lowes -- both have it) just to minimize their flapping around while driving. Then I anchored the plastic tubing to the roof and sealed all screws. I cut the plastic tubing along the bottom edge to make it easier to get the 3 cables (1 control cable & 2 coax cables) in.

Do you hpen to have pictures of the work you did inside wiring? Hooking up the satellite to the bedroom tv?
Old 03-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlf View Post
Do you hpen to have pictures of the work you did inside wiring? Hooking up the satellite to the bedroom tv?
That's the beauty of the pre-wired RVs -- no interior wiring required! It's all done for you. At both the living room TV & the bedroom TV, there's a coax connection that says "satellite." You just plug a coax from that jack to your Dish or DirectTV receiver and run an HDMI from your receiver to your TV.

The controller also has a location somewhere inside the RV -- prewired. You just remove the cover plate and connect the control cable to your Trav'ler controller.

I'd give you a picture but honestly, I haven't tied up all the cables like I intend to so it looks pretty sloppy behing my living room TV at present. I've only had this RV for 3 weeks.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #40

Quote:

Very clean looking install. Looks great! Now I want to redo mine..

halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote