Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #41

Is the roof premarked for placement of the satellite?
Is there a coax connection on the roof to connect? Is that the white box that I see in the pictures?
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:37 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Is there a coax connection on the roof to connect? Is that the white box that I see in the pictures?
My roof was NOT pre-marked. I used the instructions and picked a spot on/near the center of the roof and close to the pre-marked spot where the 2 coax cables and control wire come out of the roof.

The attached Trav'ler Installation Manual will be in the box when you get it. It clearly specifies how much room you need. Staying close to the roof centerline will help you stay within 3 degrees of level too. I used my Iphone's compass app -- it has a level function that helped me.

The "white box" that I think you are talking about is the place where the cables enter the roof on the right of the photo. This spot IS clearly marked. You just cut away the thin covering over the hole then fish the 3 cables from inside the roof. The little white cover for the cable hole is provided in the box too. You just put a ring of sealant around the hole, place the white cover, screw it down, then put more sealant over the edges & screws.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Travler installation manual.pdf (1.15 MB, 545 views)
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:14 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
The pre-wiring really made my day. On the roof of your RV there is a little label that says cut here for Trav'ler cables (or something to that extent). I carefully cut through the label with a razor knife and fished out the 3 cables -- the control cable and 2 coax leads. Most likely, your best mounting spot for the Trav'ler will be within a few feet of that location. The cables all fit right in. I never had to drill anything and that made my day. Inside the RV somewhere, you will find a cover plate that is labeled Winegard control cable. Mine was in a closet in the nose. That is where you place the control box -- there's a plug nearby too. Then you have coax lead at each TV labeled satellite TV. My pre-wiring supported 2 TVs -- the Trav'ler itself has 3 coax leads so maybe there are 3 leads on a large RV? You can't use a traditional splitter so each TV gets a separate lead.
I just took delivery on my 38FL yesterday. It is prewired but the trav'ler has at least 25' or more of wiring attached to it already for the control box. What did you do with the extra? Push it into the roof?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-19-2014, 10:53 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinfitter View Post
I just took delivery on my 38FL yesterday. It is prewired but the trav'ler has at least 25' or more of wiring attached to it already for the control box. What did you do with the extra? Push it into the roof?
If your Cedar Creek is pre-wired, it will already have a control cable running from the access point on the roof to a cover plate inside your RV. you will NOT need the 25 feet of control cable that is attached to your Trav'ler out of the box. The control cable can be easily removed by via 4 screws on a rectangular plate just above where the cables go into the Trav'ler. You remove that cover plate and disconnect the unneeded cable. You will connect your RV's pre-wired control cable through that same access point.

I just tossed that extra 25 feet of control cable in storage. I can't imagine I'll ever need it but that's what a storage shed is for! You also won't need the coax cable that came with your Trav'ler since your RV is pre-wired with coax leads running to each TV.

If I've confused you, let me know. We can exchange phone numbers and talk on the phone too if that will help.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2u View Post
You remove that cover plate and disconnect the unneeded cable. You will connect your RV's pre-wired control cable through that same access point.
The wire goes through a waterproof connection. Did you just remove that whole assembly that does into that little box? There is no way of reusing it without cutting the wires.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #46

Quote:
The wire goes through a waterproof connection. Did you just remove that whole assembly that does into that little box? There is no way of reusing it without cutting the wires.
You don't cut the wires. Once you have the top panel open, there is a large nut holding the control cable secure on the inside. That comes off and the control cable separates from the Trav'ler. I don't remember the exact lay-out, but the pieces transferred from the installed control cable to the RV's control cable without any difficulty.

If it seems hard, something is wrong. It wasn't hard at all. Just look again and you'll see how it dismantles & reassembles. And remember... your diligence is saving big $$$ in installation fees!
Old 04-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #47

Thanks. I found the new one in the roof. Mine comes pre wored but I have no idea where they installed the splitter at. I have been looking for it for a while now. Since I have to install the power inverter Im trying to figure out which cable to use. The prewire had a brown coax and a white coax.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Thanks. I found the new one in the roof. Mine comes pre wored but I have no idea where they installed the splitter at. I have been looking for it for a while now. Since I have to install the power inverter Im trying to figure out which cable to use. The prewire had a brown coax and a white coax.
You've lost me on a power inverter. Maybe that's something you are working on separate from the Trav'ler? There's only a Trav'ler Interface Box (that I have been calling the control box), a control box cable, and 2 coax cables (yours are brown & white), each running to a TV in the RV. Perhaps, if you have 3 TVs in your RV, there could be a splitter but the system works better without splitters.

By the way, any splitter used with a Dish system (and I presume DirectTV as well) must not block the frequency bands used by Dish. You're $3 splitter from Walmart will block most of the frequencies and not work. Oddly enough, a cheap splitter might appear to work for a few days or on a few channels then the system crashes when, for example, the program guide info can't download. There are splitters that work, but research beforehand so you know you are using the right ones for Dish or DirectTV.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Ours is marked on the roof, although we have not mounted any antenna. Also, the connections inside the RV are in the top of the cabinet in the bedroom where the hamper is located.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:36 AM   #50

I have a 33RL and this is how I connected my Directv Genie boxes to my camper. It is wired for a roof satellite but I did not use any of that cabiling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Directv camper diagram.png
Views:	779
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	50913  
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:32 PM   #51
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
I have a 33RL and this is how I connected my Directv Genie boxes to my camper. It is wired for a roof satellite but I did not use any of that cabiling.
Nice diagram. Thanks for sharing!
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:14 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Recks View Post
Nice diagram. Thanks for sharing!
X2 I copied them for future reference!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampnnit View Post
Very nice diagram...Suggestion though...it looks like you have a 4 way splitter with one empty tap.
Since an empty tap can introduce noise (snow) into your system...suggest you could replace it with a 3 way tap and keep the 4 in reserve for future "projects"!
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #54

Thanks for the diagram. Just to clarify:

Where is the directv receiver installed? In the storage area?
miken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #55

The genie receiver is on the shelf under the tv. The power amp is in the storage bin close to the connection where the cable hooks to the dish.
Kampnnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:21 AM   #56

We brought our CC 36 ckts to Camping World to have the Winegard Traveler installed. They did a great job and you can't beat $149 for installation. The satellite works great, at least in our yard.
Sewhappy is offline   Reply With Quote