Old 03-04-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Satellite tv

We have Direct tv at home. What satellite receivers work well for HD, 2 receivers and the ability to DVR in an RV? Is it hard to get a signal?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

We take an extra receiver from our house and put it in our fifth wheel beginning in April and leave it until the season is over in October. The receiver is usually in our kids playroom and if we are camping and it's warm outside, they don't need the playroom.
If you just take the DVR receiver from your residence, it will work fine in your RV.

We have a satellite dish that we picked up out of the garbage a few years ago. An apartment complex was re-roofing and had taken down all the leftover dishes that Directv had left when the tenants had moved.

Hubby made a dish holder out of PVC with directions he found on youtube. We got a satellite finder from Radio Shack and after a few tries, we now have no problems locating the satellite.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #3

Is your receiver HD and a DVR? I bet we gave away at least 3 direct tv dishes years ago never imagining we would one day wish we had one.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:12 PM   #4

We don't take the DVR, but just one of the HD receivers.

If you have a trash dump, recycling center close by, check with them to see if they ever get dishes brought in. Around here, they get 2-3 each week. They might hold one for you if you ask nicely.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #5

What part of the country are you in?
Old 03-04-2014, 06:56 PM   #6

We live in Clemmons, nc.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #7

Wingard Trav'ler

The Cadillac solution is the Wingard Trav'ler. They make one for DirectTV & one for Dish. We have Dish. With the Trav'ler, you just pull into your campsite, push a button, and the satellite hones in on the signal. We receive three satellites & full HD. The downside to the Trav'ler is cost (about $1,500) and installation (about $89 if you don't DITY). You can also set up a DVR by adding a hard drive to the receiver(s). We're full timers in our RV and love our Trav'ler setup!
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 AM   #8

You get what you pay for sometimes. We will check it out. We spend a lot of time watching tv. Hopefully, that will change with traveling but we still want to be able to watch tv. If the Internet had a better signal we would look into that but we are years away from having a good signal nationwide.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:15 AM   #9

I was checking to see where you lived. If you lived close enough, I could get you a dish. If I can figure a way to get it there, I will send you a PM. We have a couple extras.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:06 AM   #10

Internet solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
If the Internet had a better signal we would look into that but we are years away from having a good signal nationwide.
Ah but I would beg to differ! We have a Verizon MIFI and we have had good (often excellent) internet reception from coast to coast. ATT also offers a portable MIFI but their coverage isn't as good as Verizon. With Verizon, we get 5 gig for $50 a month. My MIFI is the 4510L but there's a newer version out now.

A lot of the complaints about the MIFIs was they lose signal when switching from tower to tower. But that only affects those who travel while browsing. Sitting stationary in an RV, we never lose signal. Check it out!

danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote