Old 02-15-2012, 03:14 PM   #11

Has anyone been able to watch programs recorded on their dvr WITHOUT having to connect a dish? I am told by both direct tv and dish network that this cannot be done.
I see myself camping in locations not in direct view of the satellite and don't want to worry about someone walking off with an expensive portable dish.
For most of my trips having lots of stored movies and programs is just fine as I don't follow sports.

Old 02-15-2012, 03:43 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I take my dish network dvr and a free dish I. Got from a installer mounted my dish to a halogen work stand and works perfect every time.
To aim the dish I use my fancy compass app on my phone and aim my phone to the 119 degrees mark and then copy the dish angle the same.
5 minutes and I'm watching my show of choice.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #13

Dave, thats a good question. I would suggest that you take ur dvr and try it. I myself would think that you could since your just using it like a recorder. Try using the out on your box and go in to your tv. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #14

I do not currently have a satellite system, but have UVerse at home. When we got the rv we thought we would consider switching, but it would be more expensive. That's when I thought the advantage of using the dvr might tip the balance. From what I have read, the satellite companies, as well as UVerse do NOT allow the dvr's to be used when separated from their systems. That is when I thought to ask the question here. So far, no one seems to have tried it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegood View Post
I do not currently have a satellite system, but have UVerse at home. When we got the rv we thought we would consider switching, but it would be more expensive. That's when I thought the advantage of using the dvr might tip the balance. From what I have read, the satellite companies, as well as UVerse do NOT allow the dvr's to be used when separated from their systems. That is when I thought to ask the question here. So far, no one seems to have tried it.
I'll try mine tomorrow
Old 02-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #16

Dave- I have Bell here in Canada which uses the same hardware as Dish. In the past I also had Dish. With any Bell or Dish DVR I have been able to watch recorded content without it being hooked up to the satellite dish. You will get the occasional error as the receiver tries to tune, but you can get past those by hitting the "DVR" button on the remote.

This feature has served me well when moving, as well as when a major storm knocks out satellite reception.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:24 AM   #17
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have DirecTV at home and in the motorhome. When we upgraded to HD in the house we just moved the DirecTV DVR out to the motorhome. I record programs and movies on free weekends in case there are trees blocking the signal, we still have plenty to watch if the weather's bad.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #18

Looks like Dish and Vuqube have teamed up...sorta...
Tailgater - Portable Satellite TV Antenna - Take TV Outdoors With DISH!
1973 Camaro RS, LS6/475hp, 6spd
skullskidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #19
I just tow the TT for DW!

Directv customer for 16 years. Keep a dish and reciever in the RV year round. Gotta have my NFL football!

2008 Ford F350 King Ranch Lariat SD CC 4x4 V10 4:10
2012 Rockwood Windjammer 3008 - Equalizer 12k
2007 EZGO TXT Lifted/Custom Golf Cart

Nights Camped: 2011(52) 2012(65) 2013(65) 2014 (51) 2015 (40)
kamp k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM   #20

I have Dish Network and have had no problems. I bought another reciever to use in the trailer and have a dish mounted on a tripod. I can normally set up the whole works in less than 5 minutes or less. Once you have done it a couple times it is a breeze.