Old 10-31-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

Satellite TV options?

Who is the vendor of choice for satellite tv? Dish Network or Direct TV? What are your experiences? Is the Dish Network stop and start thing real? Is DVR available?

Here in OKC and the available cable does not give us Monday Night Football. May be time to stop being so cheap!

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #2

Never had Dish. We started with Direct years ago and have been happy so far. We have two HD DVR's at home that go into the fiver when we travel. Depending on what you want it is not cheap, It can cost you upwards of $125.00 a month, or as little as 50 a month.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Phlunky

We take our bed room set up with us in the trailer. It's Directv. This way it doesnt cost any extra.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #4

We have direct tv now. We did have the dish network. With the dish, if you have your box disconnected from your phone line after i think 30 days, you will be charged extra. With direct tv, no phone line is needed. I would go with direct tv and have no added fees. Also direct tv is cheaper and you also get more channels. We had SO many issues with dish, after 8 years we dropped them.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlehr View Post
We have direct tv now. We did have the dish network. With the dish, if you have your box disconnected from your phone line after i think 30 days, you will be charged extra. With direct tv, no phone line is needed. I would go with direct tv and have no added fees. Also direct tv is cheaper and you also get more channels. We had SO many issues with dish, after 8 years we dropped them.
I have had Dish Network for almost 10 years at a second home we have and have never had a phone line connected to it. We take the receiver when we go somewhere in the 5er., have an extra dish on a tripod never had a problem. If I get another receiver to leave in the Sabre it is an additional $7.00 per month. I stay with the Dish receiver 301, the basic Legacy no frills receiver. Can buy them for as little as $20.00 used on Ebay. Easy to set up and have been able to receive my local Nashville channels almost anywhere in the Southeast. Been taking the receiver with me in the camper for the past 4 years, no problems.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHooper View Post
Who is the vendor of choice for satellite tv? Dish Network or Direct TV? What are your experiences? Is the Dish Network stop and start thing real? Is DVR available?

Here in OKC and the available cable does not give us Monday Night Football. May be time to stop being so cheap!

Thanks!
We have Direct TV, use it at home and in the camper for the past 5+ years, we actually have a spare receiver that we keep in the camper, and in the winter use it in a spare room. for the 5.00 a month charge that was easier than disconnecting and moving one every week between the camper and the house, plus on occasion I'd forget it and either have to miss a sporting event or it would rain and the kids would be mad at me.
2006 Police Roadking FLHPi
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #7

Caution - do not read while consuming drink or food as you may choke!

I have had both satellite providers. I first had Dish Network and had it for several years. It worked fine for me at home in my permanent residence. For a long time, I never used satellite while camping. However, once I decided to add Dish Network satellite to the RV camping experience, I never was able to get reception while on a trip. In the pre-trip, I would set it up in the travel trailer while at home and it worked fine. My golly, once I left my property, it was a different story. I even hired a professional installer to come to my residence and go over the setup with me. As it turned out, he could not find anything wrong (which makes sense because it worked fine when on my property).

I finally decided that maybe I should just add a receiver box to the travel trailer as opposed to removing one from my house in an effort to solve my issue (especially since I was disconnecting from the phone and traveling miles from home with it). I called Dish Network for help and as usual, I got a person in the Philippines who could hardly speak English. I told her I wanted to get an additional receiver to go into my RV. She had no idea what I wanted – probably a language barrier. I am sure she had as much difficulty in understanding my very distinct southern drawl as I did her accent. I simply told her thank you and goodbye in an effort to give us both some relief.

Within minutes of hanging up with her, I called a second time. Once again, I was speaking to someone in the Philippines. To this day, I am not sure if I did not get connected to the same person. It was certainly the same conversation and end result.

Being the patient person I am, I made a third attempt within minutes of my second try. You know what they say “Third time is a charm!” Well-a-doggie, I struck gold when I got a man in India who spoke immaculate English. He understood exactly what I wanted – a receiver for my RV. He even knew about the Dish Network RV program – the $7.00 deal. From our conversation, I even surmised that he was a very honest person because he told me that he did not know how to add a receiver to my account for the RV. I was so relieved to have a legible conversation with someone that I was not even upset that he could not help me get the receiver. (In fact, I was so overwhelmed with joy I almost told Uncle Henny to go fetch his fiddle and rosin up the bow because I felt like cooking a jambalaya for a shindig in the bayou later that night.) I asked the man in India if he could transfer me to someone located in the United States. He said he could and transferred me.

You know what they say, “Sometimes it gets worse, before it get better.” Well, I be doggone as that is very descriptive of my experience with the next Dish Network representative. Once connected to the next person, I immediately noticed he had an accent, but he spoke great English, and I asked for his location. It took 3 questions just to get his location, because of his short answers “United States”, “Texas”, and finally “Laredo.” I explained what I wanted – a receiver added to my account for the RV – the $7.00 deal. A red flag emerged when he started asking me a lot of questions as I could tell by his questions he was setting me up with a second account. I asked, “Are you setting me up a second account.” He replied, “No” and continued his questions. Being the skeptic that I am, I interrupted by asking, “How much is this going to cost me?” The amount he gave me was double the monthly premium I was paying at the time. Finally, after 3 attempts of trying to get this person to understand what I wanted (an additional receiver for the RV – the $7.00 deal), I gave up and politely told him to forget it. I have never doubted that the man was in Laredo, TX, but I did wonder in what direction he traveled from to get to Texas must less Laredo. By this time, I felt I would have probably received more help from an unidentified alien from Venus who flew in on a spaceship. Although calm, I was hotter than a tick on a dipped dog’s back and had made up my mind to drop the matter and to not allow it to ruin the remainder of my day.

Things do get better! Shortly after I ended my call with the last Dish Network representative who was in Laredo, my pretty southern belle wife, Uncle Henny, and I headed to the local Walmart where our luck was about to change unexpectedly. Low and behold the Direct TV Representative was in Walmart promoting his product. Because Uncle Henny wanted satellite TV during our camping excursions, I agreed to talk to the man. I got in line behind the 2 people ahead. When my turn came, I told the man I wanted to know 3 things: (1) When a customer calls Direct TV technical support, do they speak with someone located in American? He said absolutely – always in America. (2) Can I get a receiver box for my RV? He said yes. (3) How much will the box for the receiver cost? He answered $5.00. I told him to sign me up.

Within a few days, we had Direct TV. The following weekend we went on a camping excursion and for the first time, we had satellite television in the RV. I was so excited I called my eldest sister “Jag” on the cell phone. When she answered the phone, I told her Uncle Henny is grinning ear to ear and watching the LSU Tigers get down over satellite TV. She let out a “hallelujah” and relayed the message to “Hacksaw” (my brother-in-law). They got so excited, they jumped in the Jaguar and picked up my youngest sister (who is named for President Truman) “Give’m He** Mary” and “Structured Bob” (my brother-in-law) and headed to the campground. (Note: That was long before the 2012 BSC Championship Game where the Tigers just laid down as the Tide rolled over them.)

By the way, I did discover that Dish Network does have employees who reside in America, other than installers, working for them and they know how to use the phone. After I cancelled Dish Network, I received 3 calls from 3 different representatives over the next month to which each heard this story.
campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #8

No problems with Dish. Able to get all my local channels if I am within 400 miles of home.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:48 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Phlunky

I've been a customer of Directv since 1996. I've had some issues with them over the years but they have always worked hard to get them resolved.
I've tried other companies, but never had the level of customer service that I get from Directv.
Days camped in 2013 = 30 final.
Days camped in 2014 = 27 final.
igkra.com
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #10

Directv is very RV friendly. I have a VuQube so set-up is super easy. They are so RV friendly, that RV is one of the room options when naming your receivers. The only problem we have is the box looses it authorization after 30 days of not being connected. But you call, and they have you operational in no time.