Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 09:09 AM   #1

Securing Basement Cargo

I need advise on the best way to secure cargo from shifting in the basement of a 5th wheel. There are no cleats in basement to connect bungee cords. Has anyone used the adjustable cargo bars and will the basement walls be strong enough to ratchet tight enough? Need some ideas. Thx
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
Site Team

I've never had a problem with stuff shifting in the passthru, but I could see the potential for it. I built a passthru drawer in the last two RV's we've had, so that may have helped, but I know a lot of people that just throw stuff in there and I've never heard them complain.

I don't think the walls are sturdy enough for cargo bars. You could screw some tie down anchors into the floor to hook bungee straps to. That should help.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM   #3

I store everything in plastic storage boxes (Rubber Maid). I use these placed side by side across the basement compartment stacking them from the curb side to the street side. In front of them are my lawn chairs and table. I also carry a 4' step ladder in this compartment. Everything is placed so, that no shifting takes place. The containers are labeled as to the contents and when I stored them, the first ones needed for set up are the first ones out. Also everything that is required for the electric, water and sewer are placed on the street side.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #4

Using multiple plastic storage containers butted up against each other is the direction I’m leaning. As Bama stated, not sure walls are strong enough to jack a cargo bar into place.
poolbug054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:28 PM   #5

I use the plastic storage containers for most of my stuff and haven’t had a problem.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 02:33 PM   #6

Cut a few foam rubber blocks 3-4" thick - ~ 8"x12" or various sizes. Use them as spacers/pads for stabilizing stuff,.... passthru, cabinets, .... Always a space/use somewhere. they wedge nice and snug into empty cabinet spaces and pass thru space.
gbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #7

I added a cargo drawer that pulls out. Holds 800 lbs, which I am nowhere near. Has ball bearings and locks when retracted. Stromerg-Carlson if memory serves.
Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #8

My 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback came with D-rings attached to the basement floor.....I used them all the time....my 2019 CC Hathaway did not - so I went to the local Lowes and bought some heavy duty D-rings.... I installed 2 on each side and 2 in the middle.....they work great. They were very easy to install, I used short heavy duty screws.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #9

I do use plastic boxs then just kind of jam everything together and nothing has ever moved enough to be a concern. Nothing has ever moved inside the RV either which is surprising. I don't even secure the dining room chairs. If I have a wreck I assume everything would move, but by then you have more important problems.
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Shipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

Neighbors method in his Montana 5ver....stuff so much in there that nothing can move. It's worked well for him.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #11
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Neighbors method in his Montana 5ver....stuff so much in there that nothing can move. It's worked well for him.
I didn't realize we were neighbors but you misspelled Sabre and/or Spartan.

I have actually trimmed this down quite a lot since getting the Spartan since its basement is 1/2 or less the size of what I had before.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I didn't realize we were neighbors but you misspelled Sabre and/or Spartan.

I have actually trimmed this down quite a lot since getting the Spartan since its basement is 1/2 or less the size of what I had before.

LOL !!! watching him pack is like watching someone do a giant Tetris puzzle.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cargo