Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #1

seeking input on new CC SilverBack

Hello Cedar Creek RVers! I am looking to upgrade from my Keystone Springdale 5th wheel to the CC Silver Back 37FLK. I visited the lot and did a walk through, really impressed with this 5th wheel. It is a 2019, and I then walked through a 2020 CC Hathaway and didn't see enough to WOW me into picking this over the Silverback. I would welcome any input, suggestions, advice any of you current, or previous CC owners can give before I commit to the purchase. Thanks
rayparkhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #2

Now I am speaking from my exeperince from when I purchased my 2016 Cedar Creek Hathaway model.

Why I choose the Hathaway model were mainly hidden from the casual observer! One was the storage that the Hathaway model has in the basement. They have a flat floor. I did not like the Catherdal ceilings in the two slides, I wanted slide toppers on all of my slides! The 6 point leveling system was included in one of the mandatory packages for the Hathaway. An extra cost attachment for the Silverback. For the Hathaway the End cap was different which we liked. Another item that comes to mind is the day/night roller shades, I believe the Silverback did not offer that for our model year. They had shades that had little holes in them to allow them to be open and closed on the string attachment lines, which can break over time. Also the water heater was a 12 gallon vs a 10 gallon in the Silverback.

This is why I chosed the Hathaway over the Silverback model, for the 2019 or 2020 things might be different but this was my reasoning.
Old 09-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #3

Ditto Jim.

It is dozens of little things!

Shop hard. The Silverback is a nice unit. .
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:08 PM   #4

I love our Silverback 29ik, I realize the Hathaway's are larger and have some items standard that I had to pay for as an option.

I wanted smaller and loved the cathedral ceiling, no longer available, so I got what I have. Cedar Creek makes a good unit.

BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzWolfAR View Post
I love our Silverback 29ik, I realize the Hathaway's are larger and have some items standard that I had to pay for as an option.

I wanted smaller and loved the cathedral ceiling, no longer available, so I got what I have. Cedar Creek makes a good unit.
I have a 2016 33IK, love my unit but I am glad they did away with the cathedral ceilings. I would love to slide toppers to keep all the leaves and stuff from coming in. Also, the rain running down the ends of the slides.

I also think the new Silverback have the larger flat floor basement. That’s a big deal.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #6

See peeling furniture in this forum
jjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
X2, good input.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #8

Cedar Creek rear fiberglass cap Silverback just a filon rear

Cedar Creek solid wood cabinets throughout Silverback uses lumbercore stiles and end caps

Cedar Creek standard central vac Silverback is optional

Cedar Creek has a wireless remote Silverback not a option

Cedar Creek 7000/8000 pound axles standard Silverback 6000 pound axle

Cedar creek one piece fiberglass shower Silverback 2 piece

Cedar creek 12 gallon gas water heater Silverback 10 gallon

Suspension bigger.

X Frame.
Back cap.
Shades.
12 gallon wh.
Cabinets use more solid wood.
One piece shower.

Not sure about battery compartment. I'd require four 6V batteries to fit.

There are several other differences.

If I was looking again, I'd strongly consider a Silverback but I'd immediately go get MorRyde Independent Suspension, bigger............bigger tires/wheels......disk brakes....and upgrade the bladder on TrailAir. But it'd have to have equal basement storage.........and it'd have to have a back window. I assume you can get a residential reefer in a Silverback.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:06 PM   #9

Also, for what it's worth.........we were about to purchase a Silverback, and found a Hathaway at Couch's RV Nation for cheaper than most folks' Silverback. Tens of thousands cheaper than my local dealer wanted for a Hathaway. So we basically bought a Hathaway for Silverback price.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:08 PM   #10

WE kept our Silverback for 10 yrs and really loved it and the layout. We then traded up to a 2019 Hathaway.....for newer technology and extra bells & whistles.

For those that say certain things are included in the Hathaway, but are options in the Silverback....don't you think you are still paying for them in the Hathaway price?? They aren't included for nothing.....

Like BandJCarm, we feel we also got a great deal from Couch's RV Nation. Worth the drive....

Roll Tide, Bill

Good Luck OP.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 12:23 PM   #11
Global Nomad

If I recall correctly (it's been almost 4 years) we chose the Hathaway over the Silverback because we were going to be full time, and the Hathaway was better equipped for winter use. We have the tankless hot water, which give us endless hot water, no more navy showers.

We also got a great price from Couch's RV Nation, but we took that price to our local dealer, who matched it.

We are very happy with our 2016 Cedar Creek Hathaway.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #12

We traded this year to a CC Silverback and despite a long punch list of warranty items, we really like the rig. For us, we couldn't go the Hathaway route because we needed something more child friendly and the Silverback 37MBH fit that need. Having a teenager and young adult we wanted to them to have some privacy so the mid-bunk house met that requirement.

It was stated that the Silverback doesn't have an option for a wireless remote. We do have In-Command that I can use my phone to control lighting, slides and other items. Can also control the Jensen stereo via an app. I thought ours had a 12 gallon water heater too and we have full night shades. Ours also has a full residential fridge with ice maker (which is just freakin' awesome!).

Check out what is part of the Silverback Edition Package.....lots of upgrades and goodies that make a Silverback a super nice RV.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #13

Our 2019.5 Silverback 33IK also has the Z'd frame, so you get full underfloor storage. As others have said, it also came with the 6 point leveling system, In Command control, 12 gallon water heater, central vacuum and and residential refrigerator.

We also bought ours at Couch RV, and couldn't be happier with it.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bleu View Post
Our 2019.5 Silverback 33IK also has the Z'd frame, so you get full underfloor storage. As others have said, it also came with the 6 point leveling system, In Command control, 12 gallon water heater, central vacuum and and residential refrigerator.

We also bought ours at Couch RV, and couldn't be happier with it.
Question for Ole Bleu.... we have the 2019 Silverback 33iK. Do you notice that the light hanging over the kitchen sink looks like it's mounted crooked? They say it's level with the counter, but it just looks crooked!
Member Travel Resorts of America
Retired and adventurous!
Bbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook View Post
x2

We were warned about the 'peeling pleather' in RV living room furniture across many brands. We ordered our early 2020 Hathaway 34IK with the Cashmere fabric and couldn't be happier. The fabric feels like 'sticks and bricks' furniture. Is easy to clean and doesn't puncture with the doggies (Australian Shepherds) nails, although they don't seem to like staying up on any of it yet.

Unless you can afford full grain leather, skip the fake pleather and go with fabric until they fix that issue.
“Hunt, fish, camp, travel, repeat”
Chillaxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #16

Bbfish, I can't say that I've noticed ours looking crooked. The trailer is at the storage lot right now, but I will look at the light when we bring it home in a couple of weeks.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #17

Our 2020 CC Silverback

Our choice was a 2019 33IK Silverback but FR/CC changed the model year and we actually received a 2020 camper. We had gone to many shows and dealers. We have an older F350 with a V10 gas engine. We weren't questioned about the strength of the Ford as we were trading in a Lance 1130 slide-in which weighed around 4000 lbs IF I remember and the truck handled it very well. What we didn't realize was that the Silverback is a heavy beast. I've had trouble getting it up to 70mph and keeping it there if there is a decent ascent in the road. We travel I70 and I95 a lot. Stopping has been no problem at all.

One thing to note: Warranty work will only be authorized for the dealer you buy the camper from. It was in the literature we got with our unit.

Exterior has been quite good on the 5 trips we've taken so far but being a fifth-wheel newbie I have to say that backing into a camp space has been very "interesting". There are different mini-warranty issues and we haven't tried the washer/dryer yet. We went through the unit fairly thoroughly and found some issues behind cabinet doors (the joint tape coming off) and a hole in the floor under the dresser where a pipe or wire (couldn't quite make it out) came up from underneath and into the wall. But nothing that couldn't be fixed. We also saw that the shower door handle rubbed against the sink but the dealer was able to fix that.

There are also a lot of features that I haven't figure out how to work or have forgotten what the dealer told us about. One thing to note is that the 2 gray water holding tanks, when you have the washer/dryer, are configured to have the kitchen and shower go into one tank and the washer and bathroom sink into the other.

So far we have been very happy with this camper.
20Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Silverback View Post
One thing to note: Warranty work will only be authorized for the dealer you buy the camper from. It was in the literature we got with our unit.
Totally opposite of what our selling dealer told us and our actual experience. We bought our 37MBH from a dealer in Virginia.....4 hours 1 way away from us. The dealer told us that warranty work can be performed by any Forrest River dealer. And this has held true as ours is currently at a dealership (not the one we bought it from) for many, many warranty items. Now it isn't to say that dealers like this for it's my understanding that warranty work doesn't pay as well. And, seller will say that you'll get preferential treatment on service if you buy from them. But nah....warranty is covered by FR dealers just as Ford/GM/etc will do warranty work regardless of purchase location.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #19
Global Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Silverback View Post

I don't think that is in the literature from Forest River (maybe from the dealer). Our dealer in Maryland, Chesaco RV, was terrible in doing warranty work. Cedar Creek told me I could go to any authorized Forest River repair facility for the warranty work (evidently they had quite a few complaints about Chesaco RV). Fortunately there was an authorized repair facility a few miles from my dealer where I have taken my Cedar Creek for warranty work and other work, with no problems in getting the warranty work done in a timely manner.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:05 AM   #20

I told the Chesaco salesman I would NEVER buy from them because of their service department's terrible reputation.....and we didn't.

I took my Silverback to an independent RV repair facility over the years, but did have OUTSTANDING service from the factory.

On our new Hathaway, I dealt straight with the factory and wheel manufacturer for a new wheel assembly. They were very good about shipping me a new one - I just had to send them some pictures of all the numbers on the tire. That was the only issue we had....of course, after we picked it up at Couch's RV Nation, we drove straight to Orvan Fry...and he spent a few hours adjusting and doing some "preventative" changes - saying a problem would pop up in a few years down the road.
USN 76-82
Retired Dept of Navy: Navy/USMC Flt Test Engineer
Splashes3 is offline   Reply With Quote