Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 06:35 PM   #1

Sewer Smell

2019 CC Champagne with three holding tanks - two grey one black. The bath holding tank holds water from the two sinks and shower. We’ve owned this unit for six months. When bath holding tank is 1/2 full or more we get a distinct sewer smell from the shower drain only, not the sinks. The sinks have one common waterless trap to block gases. I cannot find a P trap or waterless trap for the shower at all. We’ve used the shower one time just to see if it worked. The trailer is not towed it sites on a site we own. I’ve blocked the drain with tape but was wondering if anyone has any ideas and or suggestions.

Thank You
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Team

Your shower most likely has a Hepvo trap like the sinks do. Have you looked under the shower pan to see if it's there? They can be installed horizontally and they look a lot like a long pipe coupling (as you already know). Also pull the grate off the drain and see if there is any hair in the drain. Hair is one of the known issues with the Hepvo traps not sealing.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #3

If you've only used the shower once, my guess would be that the water in the trap dried out and you are smelling gasses from one of the grey holding tanks, which smells just plain nasty!
Put some water in it and see if the smell goes away.

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #4

Thanks both for reply’s. I’ve looked in the basement and cannot see any Waterless trap nor a P trap. There are two “bends” incorporated in the drain line, but so far no P or waterless traps.
Old 04-27-2019, 05:55 PM   #5

Trust me my friend, there is a trap of some kind there.
Try what I said about putting a cup or two of water in there. Happened to me once, showy! Lol

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:59 PM   #6

HepvO “traps” are one of the worst new things I’ve seen introduced to plumbing. HepvO claims that it is “proven” that hair will not interfere with the seal. I guess European proof is a different thing than American proof. These things use a very long rubber beak-style backflow preventer to try to keep odors back. Hair IS going to get stuck in this and the rubber beak IS going to deform over time. These things are just a problem waiting to happen.

If you can find room to replace a HepvO with a conventional trap, you should do it.

Bruce
Old 04-27-2019, 06:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Thanks both for reply’s. I’ve looked in the basement and cannot see any Waterless trap nor a P trap. There are two “bends” incorporated in the drain line, but so far no P or waterless traps.
It won't be visible. It is directly under the shower. you may have to remove a panel of some kind. It is laying horizonal.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 05:16 AM   #8

Update: Took the furnace return cover off and at stretch but within reach was the Hepvo Trap. I removed it and replaced with a new one, I have two spares from my Airstream days. Found a small separation where the rubber gasket attaches to the trap. So far seems to have fixed the issue. As stated we don’t use the shower as we have a full bath in a FL at the site we own. As an aside I had several jam up in our Airstream and called the Hepvo company. They said any clog can be cleared by pouring boiling water down the drain, not hot, not close to boiling but boiling. Thanks for responses
Old 04-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
I had several jam up in our Airstream and called the Hepvo company. They said any clog can be cleared by pouring boiling water down the drain, not hot, not close to boiling but boiling. Thanks for responses
Isn’t it funny that they have a solution for clearing clogs when they advertise that it is impossible for their product to clog?

Just imagine what will happen to these things when somebody who doesn’t know the proper procedure for assessing and clearing a clog sends a cable down the drain.

Bruce
Old 04-28-2019, 07:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad297 View Post
Isn’t it funny that they have a solution for clearing clogs when they advertise that it is impossible for their product to clog?

Just imagine what will happen to these things when somebody who doesn’t know the proper procedure for assessing and clearing a clog sends a cable down the drain.

Bruce

Not sure if you are familiar with Airstreams, we’ve had four. Our last a 30’ Classic with the Hepvo and zero warnings or information on that they were even installed. A friend with same trailer had a clog in the shower, used a toilet plunger, reversed the inners of the Hepvo. Took two factory technicians 7 hours to remove bedroom, wall on shower and then over an hour to reach in a get bad one out and new one in as there is no room to work on much of anything on an Airstream. Which is why I knew if I could find the thing I could fix it, had to repair two in our Airstream. Another awful idea from Europe
Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackhartjr View Post
Trust me my friend, there is a trap of some kind there.
Try what I said about putting a cup or two of water in there. Happened to me once, showy! Lol
x2
2017 Ford F350 SRW CC SWB 4x2
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k Hitch
Shipper is offline   Reply With Quote