Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You might have to pull the awning arms down to their lowest position to get a little extra room.

I've been contemplating the same thing about getting a carport for ours and was wondering just how wide it would have to be.
I'll try that out tomorrow and see how far out I can get it, then I'll let ya know how it turns out.

We do love having ours under the carport. Keeps the heat down so much here in Florida, makes for a nice environment to perform maintenance under and washing and waxing can be done in the shade.
__________________

__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins
4x4, 4.10 Gears, 68RFE Trans
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Crockett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
We went 41 Long, 18 Wide and 12 foot leg height which gives a peak height of 15 feet. The width was so the slides would open and the outdoor kitchen door on the opposite side could open with a little room to spare. We definitely haven't regretted the width if you have the room for it. The height we didn't have to have since our existing camper is only 11 1/2 high, but wanted to have something tall enough to get on the roof under the shelter for maintenance purposes. Also, planning ahead in case there is ever a higher trailer in our future.
X2...firget the awning...you under cover due to inclement weather and that type of weather dont like awnings anyway. Have constructed to code so she lasts...
__________________

__________________
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 116
Shelter Width Specifics For "OC"

So, Old Coot asked about opening the awning under an 18' wide RV carport with the slides extended on the opposite side and made me think a little harder about my math and how I had been assuming it wasn't possible to open it all the way. After Church this morning I went out and did some careful measuring and took a few pictures for him of my unit sitting there under the shelter so he can get his wheels turning on how he wants to do his future RV carport.

First, the 18' wide metal carport is actually to the ""Outside" of it, so you lose 5" total width for the 2 1/2" legs/framework. So, you really start with 211" of free space/width.

211" Total, Minus 96" Camper, 37" Slide Out, 6.5" Slide Out Cover and 6" Daylight to not scuff the paint, Leaves us with 65.5" on the awning side.

My awning extends between 7.5-8' going off memory at first, but then I extended it as far as it would go under the carport and counted the wraps left on the roller tube, did my math and came up 92.5".

So in the end I have 27" of awning I can't extend with my trailer placed under my 18' wide carport. BUT, having said that, Crockett is right in the reasoning that other than drying it or working on it you would not have to extend it anyway with it under the carport.

I'll attach some pictures I took in hopes it will give OC a better idea of what he may want to do when it comes time for him to cover his unit. Hopefully I have provided some useful information for anyone considering what size carport they are after to park their unit under.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3573.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	70969   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3576.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	70970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	70971  
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins
4x4, 4.10 Gears, 68RFE Trans
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
Member
 
frozen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 156
My RV garage is 16' wide outside, 15' inside. The slide on one side can be fully opened, but only partially on the other side leaving difficult access all the way around. Our Rockwood 8289 has 3 entry steps; the bottom step is nearly against the wall. We're trading for a Wildcat with 4 entry steps. It's unlikely that I'll be able to fully extend the bottom step. The building was more than long enough for our previous campers, but now I'm faced with adding another 4' of length for the Wildcat. And I built it with a 12x12' door which I've already had to replace with a 12x14'. Very poor planning on my part. It's better to over-build than to build over!
__________________
frozen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
My RV garage is 16' wide outside, 15' inside. The slide on one side can be fully opened, but only partially on the other side leaving difficult access all the way around. Our Rockwood 8289 has 3 entry steps; the bottom step is nearly against the wall. We're trading for a Wildcat with 4 entry steps. It's unlikely that I'll be able to fully extend the bottom step. The building was more than long enough for our previous campers, but now I'm faced with adding another 4' of length for the Wildcat. And I built it with a 12x12' door which I've already had to replace with a 12x14'. Very poor planning on my part. It's better to over-build than to build over!
Yes Sir, that is why we went a little over height wise on this one. Didn't want that sick feeling in the stomach one day if we traded up and then had the expense of replacing a whole carport too.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins
4x4, 4.10 Gears, 68RFE Trans
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Idaho
Posts: 109
Ashley, that is a nice style carport. What is the brand name?
__________________

9.5 year old FR Cherokee 295 WP 32' toyhauler
2013 Ford F250 SD CC 4X4 4.30 gears
Tuned-- engine, music, and exhaust,
bpadamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Ashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpadamson View Post
Ashley, that is a nice style carport. What is the brand name?
Thank You, T-n-T Metal Buildings is the national manufacturer and then of course they have a distributorship system.

http://www.tntcarports.com/brochure/TNT-Brochure-FL.pdf

^^^That's the link to their Florida Brochure, down about page six is the style of mine.

T-N-T Carports - Nationwide installed metal carports, garages, buildings, rv covers, horse barns, lean-tos and more!

^^^That's the link to their main brochure page
__________________
------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab 6.7 Cummins
4x4, 4.10 Gears, 68RFE Trans
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:29 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
trbomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 981
They dont do mi,probably because of the dumd rule about needing engineer stamped plans for anything over 12'.I'm thinking I'm going to just build it and deal with the county when I have to.We are so far back in the woods it might take them a couple years to ever see it.
__________________
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:38 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Ford Idaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Idaho
Posts: 9,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
They dont do mi,probably because of the dumd rule about needing engineer stamped plans for anything over 12'.I'm thinking I'm going to just build it and deal with the county when I have to.We are so far back in the woods it might take them a couple years to ever see it.
I'd bet the tax assessor see's it once or twice a year.
Around here that is seen as an" improvement" and taxed forthwith.
__________________
2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #20
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley View Post
So, Old Coot asked about opening the awning under an 18' wide RV carport with the slides extended on the opposite side and made me think a little harder about my math and how I had been assuming it wasn't possible to open it all the way. After Church this morning I went out and did some careful measuring and took a few pictures for him of my unit sitting there under the shelter so he can get his wheels turning on how he wants to do his future RV carport.

First, the 18' wide metal carport is actually to the ""Outside" of it, so you lose 5" total width for the 2 1/2" legs/framework. So, you really start with 211" of free space/width.

211" Total, Minus 96" Camper, 37" Slide Out, 6.5" Slide Out Cover and 6" Daylight to not scuff the paint, Leaves us with 65.5" on the awning side.

My awning extends between 7.5-8' going off memory at first, but then I extended it as far as it would go under the carport and counted the wraps left on the roller tube, did my math and came up 92.5".

So in the end I have 27" of awning I can't extend with my trailer placed under my 18' wide carport. BUT, having said that, Crockett is right in the reasoning that other than drying it or working on it you would not have to extend it anyway with it under the carport.

I'll attach some pictures I took in hopes it will give OC a better idea of what he may want to do when it comes time for him to cover his unit. Hopefully I have provided some useful information for anyone considering what size carport they are after to park their unit under.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the trouble you went to to get the pictures.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fifth wheel, wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.