Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #1

Shower Cleaning

We just bought the Cedar Creek 36CKTS and love it. The only issue I have is the shower enclosure with three sliding glass panels. It is very difficult to clean the glass and remove the water from the bottom sill, with the three channels. The drain holes are about 1/16" above the bottom and retain water. Our shower enclosure leaked also. I had to remove it completely, clean all the glue/silicone sealer and reinstall. An all day job. Would like opinions or ideas how to remove the water that is retained in the bottom sill of the enclosure. Thanks.
Nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not much to suggest other than elongating the drain holes so they are flush with the bottom of the track and try to minimize the amount of water sprayed on the doors.

Is the inner-most panel at the shower head end of the enclosure?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:23 PM   #3

We have a bottle of Clean Shower by Arm and Hammer on hand at the rv. Our drain weep holes in the track work well. Use a chamois type from Walmart (auto supplies, blue, soft, $6) to get most dry and then spray it down, track and corners to kill any potential mildew. Seems to be OK. We also worry about continued water on glass between doors. Very stupid design. Sooner or later someone will post a fix! 😜
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Dave_Monica: The inner most panel is opposite of the shower head. Unfortunitly, this adds to the glass cleaning issue. Have no idea why it was installed this way and it allows water to get behind the overlapped portion, even though there is a plastic gasket on the edge of the glass panel. It will not be easy to flip the glass doors around. I thought of drilling out the drain hole more for better drainage, but this will be very difficult and I then take the chance of damaging the aluminum finish. The major problem is removing the standing water in the channels of the sill. Overall, a very poor design.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:51 AM   #5

We use a shower curtain instead of the doors much easier.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

My wife wants me to remove the sliding glass doors and install a shower curtain.
2009 Chevy 2500HD
Old 09-02-2014, 10:29 AM   #7
Kanadian Kamper

We replaced the shower door design for this

Extend-A-Shower Expanding Shower Rod - Satin Finish - Stromberg Carlson EXT 3542S DS - Shower - Camping World

World of difference. Way more room to navigate.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowinter View Post
My wife wants me to remove the sliding glass doors and install a shower curtain.
We left the doors on.
Campingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingnut View Post
We left the doors on.
We left the doors on as well, but I'm in full agreement the doors are installed backwards to the water flow and that they're a total PIA to clean - especially since you can't get to the overlapping sections. We also use the clean shower product and squeegee the doors after each shower. About once a month we also use a heavier cleaner like Kaboom to help remove the harder water spots
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

Same issues with our doors. I hate them and would prefer a curtain with the arched rod. We have such hard water, the only thing that will get them off is Bioclean, which is almost like a compound. You can put any product you want on there, and it still doesn't help. As for the track holding water, yep, ours does too. Rig is for sale, so I'm not going to bother fixing it now. In the future, no glass doors for me.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #11

We frosted the doors. What you can't' see can't hurt you. Sorta.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:27 AM   #12
Mddle of the Rd Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsilver View Post
We frosted the doors. What you can't' see can't hurt you. Sorta.
Thought about frosting the doors too, but the DW wouldn't buy in. So now I've ordered a portable water softener from Flow Pur - RV-PRO10,000 - to see if that will help with the hard water spotting. I'm guessing it will help keep the tanks cleaner and DW's hair lots softer as well......and keep the water spots off my wine glasses
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2013 RAM 3500 6.7L diesel DRW Crew Cab
"When you get to the fork in the road, take it....."
MeepMeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #13

We got window film at Lowes and the DW is happy now! It really looks good. Of course, you still have to clean the glass periodically, but you don't have to try and get it perfect.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #14
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowinter View Post
We just bought the Cedar Creek 36CKTS and love it. The only issue I have is the shower enclosure with three sliding glass panels. It is very difficult to clean the glass and remove the water from the bottom sill, with the three channels. The drain holes are about 1/16" above the bottom and retain water. Our shower enclosure leaked also. I had to remove it completely, clean all the glue/silicone sealer and reinstall. An all day job. Would like opinions or ideas how to remove the water that is retained in the bottom sill of the enclosure. Thanks.
I had the same problem on my '12. I used a dremel with a side cut bit and ground the bottom of the slot down to the top of the base. That helped with drainage and mold but not with scum build up.
As for the backward doors, I had that figured out but you will end up with the travel latch on the wrong side. The pull handles come off easily so they are not a problem. If you would like to discuss it or need help, I am only a short distance
from you (assuming you live near St Agnes). Send me a PM if you want.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #15

How and/or where do you get the doors frosted?
jwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #16

We took the shower apart, removed the door panels, took them outside, put them on sawhorses and spray painted the outsides with a can of glass frosting from Lowes. It was a fair amount of work but it tuned out well. The stuff can be scraped off if necessary and can be touched up if it gets scratched.

On out current Cedar Creek we have used a frosted vinyl film that you squeegee on. It is available in rolls with all kinds of neat patterns. You can get palm trees, exotic birds, flowers and bamboo stalks, etc. It really jazzes up the shower.
Sterlingsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #17

The doors are fine as they are. With the size of the bathroom in my 36CKTS I don't know how any other door type would work (I hate shower curtains). I've use my unit full time for the past 8 weeks and the doors are fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
KKranec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower