Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #1

Silveback not subject to delamination?

I am thinking of graduating from a pop-up to a 5W and have been reading a lot about delamination. I was told that the Silverback will not have delamination issues due to the way it is built. Is this true? What makes it different than other trailers such as Jayco or Flagstaff?

BTW, I am looking at a 29RE and plan on towing it with a 2012 f250 diesel shortbed without a slider B&W hitch.
Thank you.
Joe
5wJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Commercial Member

The Cedar Creek line uses a studded on center aluminum wall and hung fiberglass.

The Jayco and Flagstaff you mentioned uses a laminated sidewall, aluminum support and bonded fiberglass.

Most delamination comes from water intrusion. Water gets behind the fiberglass somewhere and dissolves the glue.

Only difference is that if you don't have a laminated wall to delam, you may never know you have a water leak until the interior is rotting.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

With regular inspections I would think you would find water leaks easier with the CC studded construction than the laminate.

Wouldn't water leaks freely flow down the walls and appear at the base of the wall and floor... or in the underbelly?

With the laminate the leaks may stay hidden until you discover a delam problem... and if they're serious enough cause interior rotting as well.

So I guess the answer is yes... the CC will not delaminate because they do not use laminate construction. But like all RVs they can still develop leaks and incur water damage if not properly maintained.
sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:42 PM   #4

I have a 2008 F250 6.4 diesel short bed towing a 2011 29re with a non-slider hitch and absolutely love the match. This is my 4th FW and by far my favorite. I live in Florida and recently pulled to North Carolina without any issues with power or handling. Both are perfect sizes for my wife and I. It is convenient to be able to access eating establishments and fuel stops while traveling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3975929376.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	24826  
TTBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBarlow View Post
I have a 2008 F250 6.4 diesel short bed towing a 2011 29re with a non-slider hitch and absolutely love the match. This is my 4th FW and by far my favorite. I live in Florida and recently pulled to North Carolina without any issues with power or handling. Both are perfect sizes for my wife and I. It is convenient to be able to access eating establishments and fuel stops while traveling.
Wow thank you for the reply. I have a white F250 with 4 wheel drive looks like your truck. Would you mind sharing which 5W hitch you have?
Thank you.
5wJoe is offline   Reply With Quote