Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #21

Hi Don,

Forgive my thread interruption, but the Jayco Eagle 27.5RLTS is on my short list. Any comments or caveats regarding your Jayco experience would be greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to PM me, that's fine. Thanks! Mark..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
My Jayco Eagle HT had a GREAT panel in the hallway: First, it was sunk into the wall but still open, not closet door. It had 2 clear hot water switches, one for propane, one for electric. So pull into camp, hook the big E and turn on the E switch. Sometimes wife and I would need to shower back to back if we were going out and this is when I would kick in the propane switch when I finished my shower, couple of min she could step into hot water that way.
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 02:47 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauman View Post
Hi Don,

Forgive my thread interruption, but the Jayco Eagle 27.5RLTS is on my short list. Any comments or caveats regarding your Jayco experience would be greatly appreciated. If you would prefer to PM me, that's fine. Thanks! Mark..
No problem. We had the Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKBA ( IIRC). It was our first 5th wheel and we loved it. So why trade it in after only a few months of ownership?

It comes with a 2 yr warranty, but getting things warrantied is a different story. Even when reached out to Jayco the ONLY answer I ever got was go see your dealer....yea, I did and that is why I am calling YOU!

Our unit was missing some items that should have and were not installed. Dealer said no prob, Jayco will warranty it...no they did not, using the LAMEST of all excuses: "we reserve the right to make changes during the model year". Here the dealer was so embarrassed they footed the bill for parts and labor for the bathroom fan since it was ON the window sticker. We paid for another item out of our pocket ($180)

Then the rains came: As I sit there in bed I take note of water on the nightstand next to me. Wipe it off and as I wipe back of my hand gets wet...water is spurting out of the wall electrical outlet. WTH? Its pouring out and we are stacking towels to soak up the water.

Turns out the water came from the seam where the nose is attached to the body of the unit. Upon inspection with my dealer and myself on the roof even the dealer was shocked to see so little Dicor that almost every thing on the roof had OPEN seams all the way at the connection. Dealer said Jayco denied the full repair which mean to remove the old, clean and redo properly. But Jayco ok'd the Dicor seam seal on top of the old on the leaking seam only.

Upon thinking about it, what I believed was if water was spurting out of the wall then the wall must be FULL of water below it and the seam was leaking so much so fast that it was spraying out. IMO the front end (nose) should have been removed and replaced along with all the internal water damage. Dealer said Jayco will never do that, maybe you can file an insurance claim.

My fear at that point was that walls full of water would become mold and rot at some point in time down here in S Tex heat. This could become a black hole for money and worst leave me with an unusable and unsellable unit and my $$$ is gone.

At this point I traded it in.

Would I buy a Jayco again? I think so, I don't believe my unit was indicative of the over all quality of Jayco. We loved our unit and found it to be of good design and quality otherwise.

The Fail: None of these issues in fact bother me IF Jayco had stood up and said lets make it right. We only owned the unit 8 mo, its not like I showed up on Jayco door step in the 24th mo asking the unit to be rebuilt.

I would have even been open to a 'meet in the middle' solution, but Jayco seems to have a yes or NO on warranty. We had offered to pay labor if they would provide parts on the item that was not installed, Jayco said NO! OK I was only $180 on a brand new rig, which we took NOTE OF the day of delivery and they still said no!

Take away for you: Inspect, inspect, inspect, then be prepared for them to say no.

NOTE: My dealer is the largest Jayco dealer in the US.

And that is why I left Jayco and went with Cedar Creek. We just spent 2 weeks with our new CC (our first outing) and the result is I have NOTHING i need fixed at the dealer, imagine that...
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 PM   #23

Don, thanks for the interesting narrative - envelope issues seem to be the bane of the RV industry. The quick trade was probably a smart idea since once you experience a significant water incursion the probability of further troubles persist.

I've been looking for a two person RV for several years now prior to my imminent retirement, and it's not a pretty picture: roof leaks, slide issues, plumbing troubles, etc. And I agree 100% that a detailed PDI and inspection are crucial. Since quality control issues seem to be endemic to the industry, it's purely the luck of the draw if you end up with a trouble free coach.

I was originally interested in a class c unit until I became convinced that separating the "motor" from the "home" was probably a better idea. Anyway, my short list may have just gotten a bit shorter. BTW, with the seemingly endless selection of 5th wheels, how did you decide on the Cedar Creek?

Best regards, Mark...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post
No problem. We had the Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKBA ( IIRC). It was our first 5th wheel and we loved it. So why trade it in after only a few months of ownership?

It comes with a 2 yr warranty, but getting things warrantied is a different story. Even when reached out to Jayco the ONLY answer I ever got was go see your dealer....yea, I did and that is why I am calling YOU!

Our unit was missing some items that should have and were not installed. Dealer said no prob, Jayco will warranty it...no they did not, using the LAMEST of all excuses: "we reserve the right to make changes during the model year". Here the dealer was so embarrassed they footed the bill for parts and labor for the bathroom fan since it was ON the window sticker. We paid for another item out of our pocket ($180)

Then the rains came: As I sit there in bed I take note of water on the nightstand next to me. Wipe it off and as I wipe back of my hand gets wet...water is spurting out of the wall electrical outlet. WTH? Its pouring out and we are stacking towels to soak up the water.

Turns out the water came from the seam where the nose is attached to the body of the unit. Upon inspection with my dealer and myself on the roof even the dealer was shocked to see so little Dicor that almost every thing on the roof had OPEN seams all the way at the connection. Dealer said Jayco denied the full repair which mean to remove the old, clean and redo properly. But Jayco ok'd the Dicor seam seal on top of the old on the leaking seam only.

Upon thinking about it, what I believed was if water was spurting out of the wall then the wall must be FULL of water below it and the seam was leaking so much so fast that it was spraying out. IMO the front end (nose) should have been removed and replaced along with all the internal water damage. Dealer said Jayco will never do that, maybe you can file an insurance claim.

My fear at that point was that walls full of water would become mold and rot at some point in time down here in S Tex heat. This could become a black hole for money and worst leave me with an unusable and unsellable unit and my $$$ is gone.

At this point I traded it in.

Would I buy a Jayco again? I think so, I don't believe my unit was indicative of the over all quality of Jayco. We loved our unit and found it to be of good design and quality otherwise.

The Fail: None of these issues in fact bother me IF Jayco had stood up and said lets make it right. We only owned the unit 8 mo, its not like I showed up on Jayco door step in the 24th mo asking the unit to be rebuilt.

I would have even been open to a 'meet in the middle' solution, but Jayco seems to have a yes or NO on warranty. We had offered to pay labor if they would provide parts on the item that was not installed, Jayco said NO! OK I was only $180 on a brand new rig, which we took NOTE OF the day of delivery and they still said no!

Take away for you: Inspect, inspect, inspect, then be prepared for them to say no.

NOTE: My dealer is the largest Jayco dealer in the US.

And that is why I left Jayco and went with Cedar Creek. We just spent 2 weeks with our new CC (our first outing) and the result is I have NOTHING i need fixed at the dealer, imagine that...
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #24

Mark, calling the shot on the CC silverback 29E was ez, it had me at hello.

Its a 3 slide unit and 2 of those are about ½ the length and are OPPOSED...tennis anyone. It makes a GREAT room. Nice size dining table, nice queen size sleeper sofa and across the way is where there are 2 'lazy boy' recliners and that sold us then and there. Soon as we got home the lazy boy found a place in the barn and the 5 dogs had a GREAT NEST!

Slide 3 is where the KING size bed is, I'm 6'2 @197, wife 5'8 @ 132 and space for the 4 dogs.

Bath has a NICE walk in shower about 5 ft long and 2+ ft across, no need for the RV camp showers.

Good size gray tanks x 2 shower and kitchen, good size black tank and fresh.

2 full weeks of living in it no need to leave it at the dealer on the way home.

IF there are only 2 of you and the outback calls then you might want to take a HARD look at a truck camper. We just sold our Arctic Fox 1150 after nearly 8 years of ownership and almost cried went it drove away. It had one slide and us and 4 dogs spent mucho time in it over those years. It sat in the bed of my Dually truck. Load about 10 min, unload about 10 min, now you got your truck to visit, eat out, museums etc etc. Great retained value, bought it for $22.5 ('08 model used one time and traded in on a ...$2 M Prevost coach?????) sold it for $19k and they came and got it from Ky, had 4 full price backup offers and advertising it on RV Trader for less than 2 weeks.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote