Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #1

Silverback 29RE Frustrations

Well, I have been trying to bite my tongue. The wife and I really like our Silverback. I purchased our 5er in January 2015 after FR bought back our Wildcat. In Sept of 2015 I sent the dealer a small list of items, TV broke again (cheap connectors and wiring, 5 trips and I have yet to have both TVs working) bedroom closet light, outside corner trim pieces cracking, caulking on a sky light, etc. The dealer finally had an opening the first week of Feb, I drove 200 miles to the dealer only to have the TVs replaced, there were no parts from Cedar Creek that were ordered in stock, and instead of the closet light being replaced the bedroom slide lights and basement lights are now not working...but here is the kicker...the corner of my bedroom slide out trim piece is broken because the bottom of my br slide is swelling up forcing the outside metal bottom trim piece to drop. The caulking line is about 1/4" above where it should be. Both corners are seperating where they join and the rear bottom metal angle it twisted. After spending literally hours of time trying to get through to Cedar Creek I finally talked to Henry Sears, he stated it sounded like water intrusion and to send pics (which I did) and he stated that it would be a warranty item. Several weeks (yes I left messages) have gone by so I spent an hour or so yesterday and finally got through to him only to get told the claim was denied on Feb 5. The reason it was denied was caulking. I was told that after 90 days of ownership that caulking is the responsibility of the owner....Mr. Sears stated that he would resubmit it. I asked why I wasn't notified and why my calls weren't returned and then expressed my extreme displeasure of my forest river ownership experience...yes am F Bomb passed my lip ...the call was some how dropped. I did mention that my 12 year old Laredo that I traded in looked newer than my new Silverback.

So in short after a year of ownership, my front cap is faded and looks 15 years old (I have to drive it 1200 miles to the factory for a replacement), my bedroom slide is in the beginning stages of falling apart because I didn't recaulk my trailer after 90 days and my basement, bedroom slide, and front closet lights aren't working.

I have spent months waiting on parts, hours on the phone trying to talk to someone at Cedar Creek.

I am a work long hours and my free time is well earned.

My dealer is Funtown in Waco Texas.

Garry Barney

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:27 AM   #2

Trade the camper for another brand, I don't think it will get better. Some campers should never come off the line. Our Wildcat Sterling (POLECAT) should have never left the factory. The two Cedar Creek's that we have had after the POLECAT have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:38 PM   #3

Salt Shaker; feel your pain. We took our Silverback to Indiana for a list of items. While checking for issues on the BR slide, found "gaps" in build and NO CAULK! if we had gone another winter, who knows what damage would have occurred!
On top of that, roof was torn as main ac was replaced. Eternabond tape was placed over the tear! Now I have to go back this summer for a total roof replacement! My work was done at a FACTORY RECOMMENDED shop!
Good luck!!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

What do you expect? You only paid $73,000 msrp. LOL. You think you could get some quality for that money.
Old 02-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #5

We shall see what this week brings. I had this gut feeling in Sept I was going to get the shaft...

Old 02-22-2016, 08:43 AM   #6

Your factory response to the slideout issue is pretty standard thru out the RV industry. Unless it can be proved the caulking done at the factory was faulty or non existant ... it always has been the owners responsibility for the upkeep of any sealing or caulking no matter what brand you own. I've had a list of issues with my 33IK as long as my arm as well. I've dealt with Henry and have had very good responses from him ... not to say I haven't been frustrated at times. You have to learn to just bite it while on the phone and holler and pound your fist after you hang up.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

Have you talked directly to Cedar Creek? Call directly to rhem, talk to them, have heard from a number of people that CC has taken their units back to the factoey and fixed them. They may not like to, but if you have enough problems they will do it.
Another CC forum does have a list of phone numbers.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:41 AM   #8

Dieselguy,

I understand what you are saying about caulking. After my first experience with a FR product I went over my unit intensely. In fact, I still can't figure out how or where the water got in. What I do not expect to do is recaulk everything thing on a brand new unit. I certainly didn't expect to have a new unit look 10 years old after a 1 year time frame. This is my 6th RV over 30 years. I got 12 years of good service out of my Keystone with out any issues, it looked better at the time of trade in then my now 1 year old Silverback. Not that I am hung up on looks, I expect things to work when I push a button. I also expect it to last. I don't pull it hard. I perform maintainance.

It took less time for Cedar Creek to deny my initial claim than I have been on hold with them.

6 months for parts...on a new unit and they are still not in.

I belive I have been most patient.

I will say this last weekend it was nice to have both televisions working. This is the first time that has happened since I picked it up.

Salt

Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #9

donniedu ... Henry Sears is one of the Cedar Creek factory warranty reps.
Salt ... I too was a 16 year Keystone owner ... I also have reservations as to my switching brands after my first year of ownership. To Cedar Creek's (not the selling dealer) plus side, they have been very good at responding and supplying parts to fix most of my issues. To their minus side, all three of my new previous brand products in total didn't have 1/3 the issues of my 33IK.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Shaker View Post
Dieselguy,

I understand what you are saying about caulking. After my first experience with a FR product I went over my unit intensely. In fact, I still can't figure out how or where the water got in. What I do not expect to do is recaulk everything thing on a brand new unit. I certainly didn't expect to have a new unit look 10 years old after a 1 year time frame. This is my 6th RV over 30 years. I got 12 years of good service out of my Keystone with out any issues, it looked better at the time of trade in then my now 1 year old Silverback. Not that I am hung up on looks, I expect things to work when I push a button. I also expect it to last. I don't pull it hard. I perform maintainance.

It took less time for Cedar Creek to deny my initial claim than I have been on hold with them.

6 months for parts...on a new unit and they are still not in.

I belive I have been most patient.

I will say this last weekend it was nice to have both televisions working. This is the first time that has happened since I picked it up.

Salt

Did the dealer deny the claim or did he claim Forest River denied the claim?

I would write a letter to the following people on the service side and to the president of Forest River. I have attached a link for you: Forest River RV Contact Us - Forest River, Inc.
And here is a complete contact list including Pete Liegl as an attachment in PDF form.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Forest river Contact List.pdf (644.7 KB, 276 views)
Old 02-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

My Silverback was at the dealer for warranty work for 72 days this last Fall. When I picked it up, it was half as_ed. I hooked up and drug it home as I'm not wasting anymore of my time with that place. I sent a letter to Liegl courteous but firm about my displeasure with the dealer and the number of wrong shipments of wood from the factory to fix my issues. In a nutshell, my response was FR does not micro manage dealerships and they were sorry about the shipment mix-ups. FR is selling units faster than they can make them ... people are buying them without question ... why fix something that to them doesn't need fixed???
Old 02-22-2016, 01:18 PM   #12

How can you fulltime in these if you are at the dealer 72 days or everything is not hooked up right or leaking? We need to demand service and quality for our money we pay for these. I hope I can get into my first FROG rally so I might get things fixed.

Don't give me meds.
Just let me camp.
Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I sent a letter to Liegl courteous but firm about my displeasure with the dealer and the number of wrong shipments of wood from the factory to fix my issues. In a nutshell, my response was FR does not micro manage dealerships and they were sorry about the shipment mix-ups. FR is selling units faster than they can make them ... people are buying them without question ... why fix something that to them doesn't need fixed???
So you received nothing more than lip service from the CEO. The same lip service in his 20th anniversary announcement letter where he go's on to say;
"Our commitment remains steadfast to build a quality product that you can trust, while your satisfaction continues to be our top priority."

Every time my blood pressure rises I just read it again and it calms me down. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1097976

Salt, I am with you. I am getting the same slow satisfaction in regards to the quality product on a 2016 Roo, and I don't even own it yet! I've now read that letter so many times I am using the phrases in my sentences.

tkmi...You should not need to drive to Indiana and pay to attend a rally just to get repairs done to something that should of never left Indiana needing repairs to begin with.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #14

I would guess he never actually saw it and a staffer made the reply.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:34 AM   #15

Well, just a quick update. Cedar Creek is denying my claim. Henry Sears states in an email that that my warranty expired (although it was reported within the time frame) and that it is a seal/sealant issue and therefore a maintainance issue. After crawling all over the slide I still don't know where the leak (if it is a leak) is coming from.

What a BS response from company. I did receive my screen in the mail...14 months after being requested.

I will keep yall advised. I am so dissappointed in Forest River products at the moment.

Salt

Old 02-29-2016, 11:58 AM   #16

Sorry to hear this. My 11 year old Creek has been great with nothing more than routine maintenance.
But, I have to say we stopped by and looked at three brand new Creeks the other day and I was really unimpressed. Cupboard doors thst did not close smoothly, tiny countertops in the kitchens, entry doors that did not close nearly as easily as my old rig. Disappointing to see such shoddy workmanship on what I have always considered solid trailers.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #17

I had a Forest River product, it was a Wildcat(Polecat) but I have had three more Forest River products and they were great. The Cedar Creek I have now the cap has faded and it was right at the end of warranty but Cedar Creek has agreed to replace the cap. I just have to wait until October, and that's well out of warranty. I have always been treated great at Cedar Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #18

One of these reasons going with a Cedar Creek and staying with Forest River was the handling of my Wildcat.

After numerous emails and pics it looks like I may have the issue resolved.

I will keep everyone posted.

Salt

Old 03-06-2016, 07:22 PM   #19

We, too, purchased a 2015 CC Silverback 29RE in early February 2015. We haven't had the issues you have had and we have used it on trips quite a bit this past year. We just had some minor things so far, like flickering LED lights, backup camera... We took it to Camping World in Kingston, NY for general service and the minor issues...they end up having it for 2 months...so frustrating! We are now down in Fort Myers, FL for a couple of months and we have started hearing noises like popping when we go up the stairs and walking around. It seems to be when the temperature changes in the evening and early morning. Has anyone experience this? We have no idea what it is and what is causing it. It is very concerning...we went to Camping World in Fort Myers and they said we would have to bring it in to check it out...that isn't so easy since we are living in it with our 2 dogs....
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #20

Jolee check to see if level again or put a support at the frame. Not sure how loud of popping. You should be able to look in the basement and slide the petition and see the bottom of the steps. As someone else walks up and down. Might have a bad brace or board. Very seldom mine will creak when the camper settles into the site. I looked at it but every thing was good. Adjusted the camper or live with it if just for a stop over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote