Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 PM   #1

Silverback 29RE or 29RK?

We are thinking of replacing our present 5th wheel, a 2002 Titanium 29E33SB. Our problem has been finding a new unit around the same size with the same kind of quality. Almost all the really nice stuff seems to be mega big and mega heavy. We would really like to stay under 34 ft and 14,000 lb GVWR. Although bigger and heavier than our present rig, these two Silverbacks seem to come the closest of anything we have looked at to date and we have looked quite a bit.

We have looked at a 29RE and our biggest problem with it is kitchen storage, particularly the lack of a pantry. The nearest 29RK is over 150 miles away and we have shyed away from rear kitchens in the past, but we may try and have a look in the near future. The 6K axles also seem a bit marginal for a rig grossing out close to 14K. Our present rig is over axled and over tired and gave us no suspension or tire problems so I would be inclined to order 7K axles.

A few questions. Our Titanium came with shock absorbers and individual front landing gear motors which I really like. They aren't mention in the Silverback brochure so are they available and does anyone have them? BC provincial parks have no hookups plus we also do a fair amount of boondocking and the battery compartment looks a little tight for twin 6V's. Is anyone using them in these trailers?

Any other comments from Siverback owners would be greatly appreciated.
notsosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #2

I went from a Wildcat 28RK to a Silverback 29RE. Loved the rear kitchen but am more fond of the 29RE. Very spacious and elegant. The lack of the pantry was a concern, however there is plenty of adaptable space. After some adjustments we found we like the 29RE much more. Good luck on your selection.
w/Duramax & Allison Trans
gkeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #3

We have the 29RE and love it. To add some extra storage I got a small kitchen island that I put in front of the stove. Not only extra storage but prep area too. When traveling it fits between the sofa and the table (just put 2 of the chairs on the sofa to close up the slides)
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmswms View Post
We have the 29RE and love it. To add some extra storage I got a small kitchen island that I put in front of the stove. Not only extra storage but prep area too. When traveling it fits between the sofa and the table (just put 2 of the chairs on the sofa to close up the slides)

Thanks, we had been thinking about an island, perhaps having one built with sliding shelves that could be used as a pantry. My concerns are, it would have to be secured so it didn't tip when shelves were pulled out and how to move it.
Old 08-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #5

Have you looked at the Silverback 33rl it has a small pantry and an island in it.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc8lvy View Post
Have you looked at the Silverback 33rl it has a small pantry and an island in it.
Yes we have and it is very nice but larger than we want. The 29's are actually larger than we would idealy like but manufacturers have pretty much abandoned the market for higher quality smaller units.