Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #1

Silverback 31RK

hello,
we are currently looking to upgrade to 5th wheel, specifically the Silverback 31RK. We like how it opens up in the rear with the kitchen. Does anyone have that unit? if so how do you like it so far?

thank you.

bill & jodi
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

I don't have it, but if we didn't need a bunk house, that'd be the one I'd choose. Has always been my favorite floor plan in a fiver.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #3

Hello,

New here...I have been lurking for quite a while but this post pushed me to register.

DW and I picked up our 2014 31RK in May and love it. There were a few minor issues that were addressed before we picked up the unit from the dealer (drawer under fridge not closing, bath sliding door binding, and one of the window frames was bent inside at the top). Three issues still remain that will be addressed at the end of the season. The kitchen counter has a crack behind the stove and will be replaced. One of the inside speakers is blown. Lastly we have VERY little hot water pressure in the kitchen - cold is fine and hot water pressure is not an issue in the rest of the fiver.

We have 3 camping trips (10 nights) in the books with about 1200 miles on it. One trip was just us. The next was us + daughter and grand daughter. The next was us + DW's Mom and Dad + our son and fiance. We knew we made the right choice with the 31RK because due to the flexibility of the rear layout, all 3 trips were comfortable. I do think that 6 adults is the limit though for sleeping. But we have had 12 adults in the rig to chit chat and have a drink and all were comfortable.

This is our first fiver and not sure if the chucking is "normal" that we get. The dealer says it is. I have gotten used to it as has others that have ridden with me. However DW feels sick after riding with me so we need to do something because her following me in another car is just not fun. Currently considering the MOR/ryde pin box.

If I think of anything else I will post. Also if you have questions, feel free to ask away.

Enjoy!
Ken
2014 Cedar Creek Silverback 31RK
2014 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SB Cummins Diesel
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #4

Have a 2015 Silverback 33rl. Had the factory upgrade pin box to Trailair Air
Ride. Added leaf spring assist to my 2500 Dodge, short bed. This thing pulls like a dream for us! No chucking and very level pulling. Great $800 investment. I am sure MorRyde will have similar results. ( leaf assist set me back another $500) BUT, this is our last truck/5er set up so we want a smooth ride! Figure 4 more years towing and then done. Back to condo rentals. Might want to follow me if you know someone who will want a 4 yr old unit like new.
Traded our 2011 Keystone Outback and it sold while we were moving our stuff to the new one. We tend to take care of our toys! looked new. We just wanted a rear living with all the toys
That's what you do when you are over 70! Trade and enjoy life!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

thank you for input, we looked at so many different models (currently have TT), and we just the floorplan of the 31RK, but it was the build of the silverback that first got our attention. the insulation and how well it is built and then the floorplan. Ken, thanks again for familiar input and again in case you send more inputs, will def keep track.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:11 AM   #6

My husband and I have been looking to upgrade from our TT to a 5th wheel as well. I am really interested in the 31RK from the pictures and information that I have found online. My problem is living in New Mexico I haven’t found any close enough to take a look at in person. I am a little nervous about purchasing a 5th wheel without actually seeing it. The floor plan looks really spacious and roomy without actually being that big. I have been monitoring this site for quite a while to see if anyone one says anything about this particular unit, so it’s good to see comments about it, gives me a better perspective.
Thanks and good luck with your purchase
Cindy and Paul
guerhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
Site Team

i have a question.
the DW and i love rear kitchen 5th wheels, BUT nearly all have the sofa and recliners at a 90 degree angle to the tv.
it looks like eveyone has to turn their head to watch tv. and if the tv comes on a swivel, then it's only viewable from one side or the other.

is this a problem with those that own a 31RK?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:31 PM   #8

My 2 cents. Bought a 2015 Silverback 33rl mainly because of this tv watching issue. We are retired and travel and stay for a couple of months in the winter. Our neck and shoulders used to hurt after constant turning to watch tv. That unit was a 2011 Keystone Outback Sydney, 36 ft, 5er, triple slide.

Know YOUR priorities. How YOU plan to use YOUR rv is what matters. We are seniors, over 70. Makes a difference. If you do not feel comfortable choose some other floor plan! They are not going to take it back if you are unhappy without a bunch of cash
Old 07-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
Site Team

yea, we've decided that we won't get a floorplan that requires us to turn our necks to watch tv.
it will have to have the tv across from the main seating area, either the recliners or the theater seating.
we find the same issue with front living room 5th wheels. the tv is in the nose and the seating is also at 90 degrees to it.

only a handful of rear kitchen or front living room 5th wheels have a different setup, with the tv directly across.
two of them would be the Columbus 370FL and the Montana High Country 293RK.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #10

Montana High Country

We were 1 inch from buying a Montana. We had great luck with our Keystone products. We saw this 33rl and could not get past the layout and cathederal slides. Had the 2015 built with the upgrades we missed on previous RV's. No regrets. Feels like luxury outdoors 😀
Old 07-09-2014, 07:29 PM   #11

we are going to the dealer this saturday, we have free camping : ) and the sales rep will be showing us the 31RK, so will address this need and let you know how the TV thing works out and whether or not it is an issue. I know what you mean about turning your head to watch TV, but we do love how the kitchen part just opens up the area. If there is anything else you want us to address, post here before saturday and we will ask the rep.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:12 PM   #12

I agree with SilverbackMe...it is all personal preference. Our TV is not on a swivel. But we did not have an issue watching a movie. We pulled out the 2 recliners a bit and angled them and DW and I sat on the couch and were comfortable. But that is us...best to test it for yourself.

Good Luck,
Ken
birdman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 AM   #13

Do not make that leap

[QUOTE=guerhi;654275]My husband and I have been looking to upgrade from our TT to a 5th wheel as well. I am really interested in the 31RK from the pictures and information that I have found online. My problem is living in New Mexico I haven’t found any close enough to take a look at in person. I am a little nervous about purchasing a 5th wheel without actually seeing it. ]

I have never made a major purchase I did not see. There are a heck of a lot more important things to consider, other than, it looks great, before plunking your hard earned money down and hoping for the best. We spent 2 hours inside, outside, full walkthrough of a 2014 33rl new at a show (unit was sold) before placing a $2000 build to order deposit. Potentially losing a couple of grand is not insane if the unit comes in and it has unexplained issues. These units come with flaws. Some, not ours, are serious. Suspension, hitch issues, brakes, electrical, and on and on. Once you stroke that final payment, that thing is YOURS and unless a miracle, only a high priced lawyer "may" get you out. Spend 2 days and go to Arizona and scope dealers inventories before you leave home. There are 9 gabillion rv's across the border from you. Get brochures and look at the specs, insulation, etc. It's a process. We changed our minds at least several times before making the choice for a 2015 33rl build.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:49 PM   #14

Bought a 2014 31rk. Having some issues but the dealer said they can't find anything wrong. Hot water coming out cold water faucets and toilet. Refrigerator quits cooling. Dealer said I need a thermometer in frig. I don't need that I know when I take of drink of milk and its warm I have a problem. Karen and Bob Dougherty Any suggestion appreciated.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #15

Contact Denise Davis for advise.
Fac rep for Silverback.

E mail: dldavis@forestriverinc.com
Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 AM   #16

That's advice 😃
Old 08-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #17

I sent her an email but no answer yet. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 02:32 PM   #18

31RK

I am looking at a 2014 Silverback 31RK and have a few questions. The first is that since this does not have the Cedar Creek wisper quiet AC system, are the AC's noisy? Also, can you get to the refridgerator with the slides closed and does the 6 point auto leveling system make the unit stable when leveled with no movement inside when walking?
JoLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #19

I am not sure about a/c but there is fan noise.You can not get to frig walking but can get to it by moving a chair. The camper is fairly stable. We like the openness of the living space when set up. Can have couch made into bed and have a queen mattress on the floor. If just weekender the ottoman is a pain. But to be set up for a longer period of time it is nice. Hope that hepls.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #20

Ooops helps