Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #21

I agree with you that the Silverbacks are different than Cedar Creeks; but it happens any way. I nailed my cab when towing a 318SAB Cougar which is very similar to the Silverback front cab design with recessed corners. Cougars advertise that they have the patented 88 deg turning ability. Guess what one moment is all it takes.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 PM   #22

I pull my 2005 31bh with f250 no slide hitch and bought trailer new and never needed it... So far
scott_silverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:49 AM   #23
Jeffco, MO

We have a GMC 2500HD crewcab with standard bed to pull our 2015 Silverback 33IK. I transferred a Pullrite super glide hitch from my previous truck when I was pulling a Wildcat. Both Truck, Silverback and hitch are an excellent combination. I have had to turn almost 90 degrees to back in a camping spot. I do not look at the nose of the RV when I am backing to see how close it gets to the back window. Your choice. Glad you like your 33IK. Our 33IK had only two minor adjustments after delivery (recliner and door). Excellent quality in our unit.

With the Super Glide you will need a special plate attached to the bottom of your hitch. You also have to be within 10 degrees of straight back to hitch and unhitch. I have been more than 10 degrees off and you can not hitch or unhitch. Just a couple of things to consider.

PS. We ordered our Silverback 33IK with the TrailAir hitch and it rides very well on our Pullrite slider hitch.

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 AM   #24

I wish I would have had the trailair installed, fixing to add that one on in about a month.
Gitiup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedstr View Post
We have a GMC 2500HD crewcab with standard bed to pull our 2015 Silverback 33IK. I transferred a Pullrite super glide hitch from my previous truck when I was pulling a Wildcat. Both Truck, Silverback and hitch are an excellent combination. I have had to turn almost 90 degrees to back in a camping spot. I do not look at the nose of the RV when I am backing to see how close it gets to the back window. Your choice. Glad you like your 33IK. Our 33IK had only two minor adjustments after delivery (recliner and door). Excellent quality in our unit.

With the Super Glide you will need a special plate attached to the bottom of your hitch. You also have to be within 10 degrees of straight back to hitch and unhitch. I have been more than 10 degrees off and you can not hitch or unhitch. Just a couple of things to consider.

PS. We ordered our Silverback 33IK with the TrailAir hitch and it rides very well on our Pullrite slider hitch.
Do you have the new ISR Superglide hitch or the Traditional Superglide hitch
Cloudteaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #26

We have an F350 with a B&W Companion 3300RVK hitch set at it's 2"-further to the rear mount. Turning with the 33IK isn't an issue on a flat surface. Glad I didn't pay the extra for the slider, which isn't needed.
But, I still don't let my guard down anytime that I'm hitched up!
Jerry33IK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:08 PM   #27

...sorry
Yes, it's a CC with the 6' 9" bed.
Jerry33IK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:24 PM   #28

I have an F-350 and a 35ik. No need for a slider.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
I have an F-350 and a 35ik. No need for a slider.
Backfire, we're looking at a 2018 35IK. Is your F350 long bed? Our Dodge 2500 is a short bed and we wonder if we need a slider hitch.
dosbirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbirn View Post
Backfire, we're looking at a 2018 35IK. Is your F350 long bed? Our Dodge 2500 is a short bed and we wonder if we need a slider hitch.
dosbirn,

I have the short bed F-350 and I don't see any reason for me to get a slider. I think some people get sliders just for comfort knowing that they will never hit the cab which is perfectly fine.
Backfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backfire View Post
dosbirn,

I have the short bed F-350 and I don't see any reason for me to get a slider. I think some people get sliders just for comfort knowing that they will never hit the cab which is perfectly fine.
Great to know! Thanks, Backfire!
dosbirn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #32

I had a manual slider in mine but took it out because it takes up more room and adds weight. I have a silverback and a short bed dodge. Not only does the silverback have the cutouts but has the long pin box at least the 29re does.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #33

This is a timely thread for me! One of the problems I'm finding out is the sliders typically add 3 or 4 inches in height, along with the additional weight. I just recently took delivery of a Silverback 33IK and had a Reese Titan 16K slider installed in my 2017 RAM 3500 short bed. With the Trailair Flex king pin assembly, my trailer is riding at least 4 to 5 inches high (I've attached a picture). The Reese hitch in its lowest position is 19" high.

There is no slider available that will allow me to lower the nose of my trailer by what I need. Therefore, I'm looking at a Curt 16047 that will mount in the factory pucks in the bed of my truck. It's lowest position is 13" high, so I should have plenty of room to make the necessary adjustment to bring my trailer level.

However, I do run the risk of not having a slider. However, the risk may be minimal based upon what I'm reading in this forum. I would appreciate any suggestions that any might have for my predicament!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hughes_33IK.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	140197  
2017 RAM 3500 SRW
Bob_Sback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:13 PM   #34

Mine rides a little high also, make sure your pin box is in the highest holes that will lower the front some.
Grambo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:01 AM   #35

Silverback Riding High

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my Trailair king pin assembly is already in the highest position. The newer trucks are taller than those built just a few years ago. The taller truck, in combination with the Trailair Flex pin box, is what I believe is causing my issue. My hitch is also somewhat high, but it is mounted in the lowest position.

A salesperson with Pullrite mentioned to me that they did a study about towing with a moderately high nose position and found there was no additional tire wear or stress on the frame. That may be true, but my rear levelers and back bumper look dangerously close to the ground. I don't believe I can live with my current situation.
2017 RAM 3500 SRW
Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sback View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my Trailair king pin assembly is already in the highest position. The newer trucks are taller than those built just a few years ago. The taller truck, in combination with the Trailair Flex pin box, is what I believe is causing my issue. My hitch is also somewhat high, but it is mounted in the lowest position.

A salesperson with Pullrite mentioned to me that they did a study about towing with a moderately high nose position and found there was no additional tire wear or stress on the frame. That may be true, but my rear levelers and back bumper look dangerously close to the ground. I don't believe I can live with my current situation.

I have had a standard pin box and TrailAir with a Curt ( manual slider) for 6 years. My Keystone 36 ft, towed level. My 2008 Dodge 2500 tows level with the 2015; 33rl Silverback. I HAVE NEVER NEEDED TO USE SLIDER WITH THE SILVERBACK. I can do whatever I need to be comfortable it will not hit the cab. Of course, my 2008 Dodge is lower. If you can get that hitch pull more level by not having a slider, I suggest you go with it. You can have rollers installed for those gas station dips to prevent damage should you choose not to change the hitch. I have NO KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE on level vs pitched towing tire wear.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Sback View Post
There is no slider available that will allow me to lower the nose of my trailer by what I need. Therefore, I'm looking at a Curt 16047 that will mount in the factory pucks in the bed of my truck. It's lowest position is 13" high, so I should have plenty of room to make the necessary adjustment to bring my trailer level.
This is one of the reason why I went with an Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
Nights Camped: 2017=61
Nights Camped: 2018=25
Nights Camped: 2019=12 | Booked=6
florabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 06:31 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by segel10 View Post
Looking at the SilverBack 331K. Truck will be a F250 CC with the 6 3/4' bed. Looking at the front of the SilverBack, I am wondering if a slider hitch is required. Any info from someone with this setup would be appreciated.

I have the same truck and 33IK and purchased the Pullrite 2700 Automatic Super Slide that fit on the already installed standard rails. I had the same concerns as it seemed to be close to maybe hitting the cab on sharp backup maneuvers. I like the fact that I don't have to pull pins to allow it to slide. I have been able to back into areas very tight without much trouble at all without worrying about bumping into to cab. While they are a little large, I had room to install an in-bed 33 gallon auxiliary fuel tank between the hitch and the front of the bed.
Jmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #39

I really wanted to use the Pullrite 2700 slider, but it would be the same height as or higher than my present hitch. The only way I could use it would be to raise the suspension in my Silverback, which is brand new. I'm guessing that would void any warranty that FR offers on the frame and suspension. I'm probably moving back to my standard pin box (which would lower my nose by 5"), then get an adjustable hitch that will allow me to set it an inch or two lower to get the Silverback as level as possible. Because of the height of my truck, I may have to live with the nose being an inch or two high.
2017 RAM 3500 SRW

Tags
hitch, slide