Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #1

Silverback 35qb4 horrid smell

Used our new RV this weekend and after the first couple nights the small bathroom in the bunk area smells very bad. I assumed a bad vent or a bad seal in the toilet but both seem ok. It's pretty tough to check the vent besides making sure its not blocked up on the roof though.

Any ideas why the smell is coming into the trailer?
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Used our new RV this weekend and after the first couple nights the small bathroom in the bunk area smells very bad. I assumed a bad vent or a bad seal in the toilet but both seem ok. It's pretty tough to check the vent besides making sure its not blocked up on the roof though.

Any ideas why the smell is coming into the trailer?
Sean ,
Did you happen to be using your roof vent fan whilst flushing?
That fan will suck all the odors from your black tank everytime you flush.
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Sean ,
Did you happen to be using your roof vent fan whilst flushing?
That fan will suck all the odors from your black tank everytime you flush.
Ron
No, it has been the last couple days it has been like this. Almost worse at night (likely because we are in there then so we notice it more).

I know its a very simple system, tank / roof vent / drain / and toilet. I'm not sure what more to check before starting to pull stuff apart.

I should add, I am not out there right now. My wife and kids are there and she called 2 nights ago saying it smelled really bad when the kids went to bed, then again last night. She said by morning each time the smell is gone. I asked the obvious "did anyone just use it" . Thats not the problem

I have a feeling the toilet is just not closing properly but I'm curious if anyone else had the same problem.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sulfur smell ? (Rotten egg)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #5

No, not Sulfur, just like a stinky tank. She said the toilet bowl is holding water so it won't be the seal there.

I gave her some instructions to flush the tank and to make sure the kids are flushing with a decent amount of water. We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't help.... it's likely the vent I guess.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
No, not Sulfur, just like a stinky tank. She said the toilet bowl is holding water so it won't be the seal there.

I gave her some instructions to flush the tank and to make sure the kids are flushing with a decent amount of water. We'll see how that goes. If that doesn't help.... it's likely the vent I guess.
If the water in the tank is to high and the vent is to low that could be an issue.
(Water covering vent)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:53 AM   #7

It's not that. There guage says it's still low and we only started using it this weekend. It's in the kids room so it's not used that often.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #8

Somtimes the vent pipe slides down in the tanks too farbefore the pvc glue sets up.You will have to measure the tube/tank clearance to know. Also the vent cap on the roof could be sitting on top of the vent pipe. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
35qb4