Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Silverback 35QB4 in State Parks?

My DW and I are seriously looking at a 35QB4 as an upgrade from our current Outback 310BHS. I love the layout and I know we would be much more comfortable in this 5th wheel when travelling. I have also researched quite a bit on the construction of this model and I really like what I read.

Here is my question - We live in Texas. When we do a weekend outing, we love to stay in Texas State Parks. How is everyone's experience with this length of 5th wheel in a state park?

My current travel trailer is 36' but only has 2 slides. I have never had a problem with it in a state park but I also appreciate the 35QB4 is a few feet longer and has 2 more slides.

When we travel longer distances, we tend to stay in private RV parks more as we enjoy the amenities but for a quick weekend out, we love the serenity and privacy of a state park and I don't want to lose that.

Thanks for everyone's input.

jwroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
If you were taking a 36 foot travel trailer into your state parks and didn't have a problem you probably will not have a problem with your silverback. I had a 31 got travel and moved up to a 29re silverback and did not have any problems in the state parks we go to. We live in the upper midwest and even a 36 foot travel trailer might be tight in most of the state parks up her e. Our 34 foot silverback id probably the maximum length in our region.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120411_221812.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	12030

2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
2011 GMC 2500HD Diesel
camper1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
With the fifth wheel hitched up into the bed of the truck, the 39 foot Silverback won’t feel much different in length than your 36 foot trailer when towing it.

Since you are already familiar with Texas state parks, you would be a better judge of how well the slide outs will fit on a campsite.

The real difference will be with the added height of the Silverback fifth wheel versus the travel trailer. How well do the Texas state parks keep the overhead branches of the trees trimmed along the roads within the park on the way to the campground? Here in Missouri the tree branches usually aren’t an issue…USUALLY. One exception is Meramec State Park where a large tree branch on a 300 year old Burr tree hangs out over the campground at a height of 12 feet 5 inches. If I don’t drive on the other side of the road when going by this tree, the A/C on top of my Silverback will be damaged. Just be aware of the added height.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Thanks for the helpful feedback. Yes, I will have to learn to watch for the height! I agree that it won't tow any longer than what I have now so I think it is mostly the height and extra slides to worry about. I'm fairly comfortable that I can negotiate both of those.
jwroten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
Just ordered one

We ordered a new 35QB4 Mar. 22. Scheduled to come offline 5/4. Most of our state parks can accomodate us. There are a few older parks built when everybody used popups that are just too tight with small spaces. We're going from a 33' TT so the overall length won't be that much different, but the height will be the bigger issue. Our other problem will be the trailer will sleep more people than some parks allow per site. I guess somebody may not get to go every time. Kids, grandkids, boyfriends, girlfriends sometimes makes for a big crowd.

2004 Ford F350 CC DRW Powerstroke
2013 CC Silverback 35QB4
B&W Companion Hitch
Prodigy Controller

dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote