Old 06-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Question Silverback 35QB4 Outside Kitchen Door Problem

Has anyone else had the problem with the outside kitchen door I mentioned in another thread? If you haven't read it, I'll repeat. The brackets on the inside of the door for the lift supports (shocks) have a ball stud on one side for the support to attach to and the screws that attach them to the door are on the opposite side. With this setup all the force from the supports is like a lever pulling against the screws and pulling them out of the door. Mine had already been reattached once before delivery. I have repaired mine, too far to go back to the dealer, and Cedar Creek said they will reimburse me for the work. I made some small plates and placed them on the outside of the door and bolted through the door. I don't see how this design could have ever held up. That is a big heavy door! Take those supports off and you will see how much pressure there is on 6 wood screws. I'm just wondering if this is a common problem. I thought the brackets were wrong. The stud should be on the same side as the screws but the dealer told me they are all like that. Anybody else?

Prodigy Controller

dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #2

I'm kind of surprised no one else has responded on this issue. Anyway I have pictures of what I found and how I repaired it. These photos are also posted in the gallery.

You can see how the force of the support is pulling against the screws and pulling them out of the door.

Here you can see they were obviously reattached once. This happened before delivery, I suspect at the dealer because one of the screws didn't match.

I made some plates out of stainless steel and bolted through the door. The original plates were the same size as the brackets but the force was pulling them in and distorting the gelcoat so I made these larger to give more surface area and they seem to work fine.

Forest River says they will reimburse me for making the repair. We'll see how that goes. My only expense was the SS screws which were less than $10. I made the plates out of scrap. I am going to charge for the labor at the shop rate my dealer gave me. He said that sounded fair to him. I'm anxious to see what FR says about that.

David

Prodigy Controller

Old 06-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #3

I don't think there are many of the 35qb4's out there. That's why you haven't had many responses.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
I don't think there are many of the 35qb4's out there. That's why you haven't had many responses.
I guess so. We love ours so far. This was the only big issue we've had. I'm wondering why the pics aren't showing up?
Prodigy Controller

Old 07-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
Full Timer

I have a 2013 36B4 and I have the same problem, I am going to take mine to Lazy Days in Florida and have them fix it along with other things that need addressed on my trailer.

Ford Western Hauler
2013 CC 36B4
life2short4nofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by life2short4nofun View Post
I have a 2013 36B4 and I have the same problem, I am going to take mine to Lazy Days in Florida and have them fix it along with other things that need addressed on my trailer.
I'm anxious to see how the dealer addresses the problem. Mine was too far away to justify taking it back. Mine is holding up fine after I repaired it. Used it several times. Post some pics when you get it fixed if you can.
Prodigy Controller

Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #7

I have the same problem on my 2012 Silverback 35QB4. After 5 or 6 times opening the door I noticed the screws slighly loose and they would not tighten because they was stripped already. I took the screws out, thought about putting in some type of insert, thats when I found out the strut was already on it's second set of holes. Pretty poor for a brand new camper of this price point. I ended up just canting the screws and they bit into something and are holding but will probably need to do something like you did at some point. Can you try and put the pictures up again they don't show up for me.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:16 PM   #8

Try the gallery. I posted the pictures there. I don't know why they aren't showing up in my post.
Prodigy Controller

Old 08-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #9

I'll try to post the pics again. Maybe I missed something last time.

These are the plates I made. I bolted them through the door to the brackets.

The full pic showing both plates.

As you can see, mine were reattached once already.
Prodigy Controller

Old 08-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #10

Man, finally figured out how to get the pics to show up!

Prodigy Controller

Tags
35qb4