Old 01-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
Plain Old Member

Silverback Black Flush

Figured I'd start a new thread with my questions so far. Alright, first 2 questions and I haven't even picked it up yet. These are mainly directed at the 35QBA owners, but other units may be similar,

1) where is the back flow preventer / vacuum break for the front black flush line? On one previous fifth wheel it was in the wall behind the TV, which sucked when it started to leak. I just want to find it and move it to a better place if need be, or do like i did on the other one and do away with it, install a vacuum break at the inlet and use a designated hose.

2) does the rear black tank have a black flush as well, and if so where is the bfp for it? If not I reckon I'll install one.

We're scheduled to pick the unit up tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers. Last few Motorhomes had just about took the fun out of camping due to unfixable problems, plus our ordeal with the special ordered sob we just left on a lot the other day. This one has gotta give us a break. If not, next step I guess is to build my own. We'll see.

2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Figured I'd start a new thread with my questions so far. Alright, first 2 questions and I haven't even picked it up yet. These are mainly directed at the 35QBA owners, but other units may be similar,

1) where is the back flow preventer / vacuum break for the front black flush line? On one previous fifth wheel it was in the wall behind the TV, which sucked when it started to leak. I just want to find it and move it to a better place if need be, or do like i did on the other one and do away with it, install a vacuum break at the inlet and use a designated hose.

2) does the rear black tank have a black flush as well, and if so where is the bfp for it? If not I reckon I'll install one.

We're scheduled to pick the unit up tomorrow, so I'm crossing my fingers. Last few Motorhomes had just about took the fun out of camping due to unfixable problems, plus our ordeal with the special ordered sob we just left on a lot the other day. This one has gotta give us a break. If not, next step I guess is to build my own. We'll see.
I can't say about the rear tank since I do not have one but it my be the same as the front. For the front the back flow preventer is under the bathroom sink.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Plain Old Member

That would make sense. At least you can get to it there. These may be of better quality, but I've had a few leak and had to replace or remove. I believe it was at FR service in Elkhart, but someone had told me by code they had to be mounted above the toilet level. I questioned whether I could move it if need be, and they said no problem as long as it was above the tank. They just had to mount them as they were required. Obviously using a designated hose is best, but what I did to the last fifth wheel was acceptable as well and prevented the occasional squirt of water in an unwanted place. Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

More Questions - Dump Valves / Tanks

OK. Got it home today, and so far so good. No real issues outside of a cosmetic thing here and there. I did find the anti-syphon valve for the front black tank flush, but even though there is a rear black tank flush, I can't find the anti-syphon valve for it. Still searching.

Next question. I know there is only supposed to be 4 tanks; 2 black, 2 gray. However, in the front compartment, there are 3 pull handles. One for black, one for shower, one for galley. On the rear, there are 2 more pull handles. One for black, one for gray. So what's up with the 3rd pull handle up front. Surely not a fifth tank I don't know about. I was thinking 4 tanks, 4 dump / pull handles.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe a separate grey tank for the 1/2 bath...how many tanks on the monitor panel?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #6
Plain Old Member

After looking closer, it appears there is 5 tanks. On the front monitor, gray 1, gray 2, black. On the monitor in the half bath, there is 1 black and 1 gray. Guess they may have changed it as they're still advertised as 4 tanks I believe. I know there is a Cedar Creek contact list somewhere on here. I'd like to get in touch with somebody up there to verify the tank sizes now.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Here is the warranty contacts for all of FR's brands:
https://dealers.forestriverinc.com/D...nformation.pdf

You might be able to start there.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

Thanks. That'd be the one I was thinking of. Guess I'll call one of them and maybe they can direct me to somebody that knows something.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:44 PM   #9

I accepted delivery of a 2014 37BH Silverback in late August. Love the unit so farÖ I couldn't even tell you what a fifth wheel was in July, but I needed to use it with my work.

I have the same setup, two grays and a black up front, and a small gray and small black tank in the rear.

When I use the tank flush, which is once a week, it squeals. I don't know if it is supposed to make that sound or not, but I have never had an unpleasant odor from the bathroom (except for man-made gases).

I've spent a lot of time on YouTube learning about these things. Sure would like for one of you guys to take me under your wing and tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So far I've spent about 80 nights in it, dragged it back from west Texas to east Texas, where it is now. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1389494643.976968.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	44802
Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
Plain Old Member

That squealing is that anti-syphon valve that I cannot find. They tend to squeal every not and then and that's normal. Our front black flush is under the master bath sink. Line comes up, small black contraption like a check valve / vent, 90's over and line goes back down. I still cannot find the rear one, which leads me to believe it is in the wall somewhere. Bad idea if it leaks. I've called Cedar Creek, and I never did get a very for sure answer on tank sizes, but there are indeed 5 of them. Jeff Holmes claimed the front tanks were 50 gallons each. If that's true then the advertised sizes are way off. It'd sure be nice to know as after 6 previous RV's, we know exactly how long we can go on different size tanks. Pretty much got it down to an art.

Tags
black