Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #41

Why not a one ton F350/3500 SWD?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #42

to the Forum Tigerbug.

I have a 2010 F250 with the 3.55 axle and the 6.4 diesel. You will have no problems with mountain grades and yes, I speak from experience. I'm sure the the GM with the 3.73 will handle it as well. The key here is DIESEL.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM   #43

Wow, just joined, just posted and two fast replies, thank you both. Ford Idaho-F350?? guess I would have to pull down the specs again to see how much more I get than the F250 in terms of towing weight etc. I'll take a look but didn't want to go there if I did not have to do so.
Oakman-I have been reviewing the forum for several weeks and joined today so I could post in the hopes you might see it. I live in the Cincinnati area and was at Jeff Couch's RV nation today and sat in a Silverback 29RE for about an hour. Really like this unit and will now have to get my wife out to take a look as well.
Curious what mountain driving have you done with your TV/5th wheel? Did you stay with the supplied pin box or trade to an Air Trail? or MorRyde, what hitch do you have and is it a slider?
I really like to hear from actual users rather than just rely on sales people or my internet searches.
Would love to hear back. Tigerbug
Tigerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #44
Certified Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Why not a one ton F350/3500 SWD?
Surprised you didn't suggest a FL-60 again.

I'm detecting some serious "Creek Envy"...

LOL
Old 10-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
Surprised you didn't suggest a FL-60 again.

I'm detecting some serious "Creek Envy"...

LOL

Not one little bit, I have seen more over loaded rigs broken, wrecked or on their way to one.

The diff is this OP has a limited budget, the other thread ask what would "I" do, I posted just that.

Besides that a FL-60 just might cost less than a PU.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #46
Certified Curmudgeon

Now on to real information. The 3/4 ton long bed will handle the 29RE just fine. It simply will not have the extended cargo carrying capacity of a one ton nor will it have the stability of a dually. If you are going with a 2011-2013, the Ford 6.7 will ride quieter and give you better fuel economy. Older than 2011 I would go with GM. Dodge is a player only with the Asin trans. which, as far as I know, is only available on the 1 ton. I towed all over the country with a 2010 F250 CC Shorty 6.4L at much higher loads than you will attain. It delivered dismal fuel economy but I had the stock 3.31 rear end. As for load vs economy, 3.73 will yield excellent results with the diesel. So as Oakman said, the Diesel is the important piece.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:50 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbug View Post
Wow, just joined, just posted and two fast replies, thank you both. Ford Idaho-F350?? guess I would have to pull down the specs again to see how much more I get than the F250 in terms of towing weight etc. I'll take a look but didn't want to go there if I did not have to do so.
Oakman-I have been reviewing the forum for several weeks and joined today so I could post in the hopes you might see it. I live in the Cincinnati area and was at Jeff Couch's RV nation today and sat in a Silverback 29RE for about an hour. Really like this unit and will now have to get my wife out to take a look as well.
Curious what mountain driving have you done with your TV/5th wheel? Did you stay with the supplied pin box or trade to an Air Trail? or MorRyde, what hitch do you have and is it a slider?
I really like to hear from actual users rather than just rely on sales people or my internet searches.
Would love to hear back. Tigerbug
We’ve been through the Appalachian Mountains on our way to D.C. earlier this year. There were a number of long mountain grades on I-68. Going uphill the tranny would downshift one gear and up we’d go, no problem maintaining 60MPH. On the downhill leg the tow/haul feature worked well and again no problems controlling our descent.

Out west we went across the Continental Divide and Togwotee Pass elevation 9600+ feet without any issues. Believe me, a Ford or Chevy diesel will have no problem hauling a Silverback 29RE. BTW, I have the 29RL which was heavier than the RE of the same year.

Oh yes, I’ve also been across MO Hwy 65 from Springfield MO to Branson. Anyone who has traveled that road can tell you how steep some of those hills are. Again, no problem going up or down. The real key is DIESEL ENGINE.

I have the standard pinbox on the Silverback and my slider hitch is a Reese 16K kwik-slide. I have the slider hitch because my previous trailer was an older Wildcat 28RK and I used that slider almost everytime I backed into a spot. With the Silverback I haven’t used the slider once. Keep in mind that the newer 2014 Silverback had a redesign of the front cap so I can’t tell you whether or not you should get a slider hitch.

A word of advice, regardless of what truck you buy, use the tow/haul feature when towing.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788
Old 10-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #48

If you are buying a new truck, go for a 350/3500 SRW. Same size truck, same power train, bigger payload, not much more money. They will tow the same but you will run into pin weight problems sooner with a 250/2500.

Frankly, I don't see the point in buying a 250/2500 if you are buying it to tow a fifth wheel and there is a 350/3500 SRW option available.
notsosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #49

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful and detailed responses. I feel alot better about a 250/2500 capability as relates to this trailer. Anyway this has helped me focus our time and research moving forward. I will look into the 350 further, SRW, for a final comparison.

One more question, any thoughts on what can and cannot be negotiated to be included in the sale of a trailer in this price range. Jeff Couch site say free 12volt battery, free propane, free dealer prep,free North American Service Network. Seems to me the battery and free propane are pretty cheap "throw ins" but the other two should be free regardless. Am I missing anything.

Thanks, Tigerbug
Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerbug View Post
Thanks to everyone for the very helpful and detailed responses. I feel alot better about a 250/2500 capability as relates to this trailer. Anyway this has helped me focus our time and research moving forward. I will look into the 350 further, SRW, for a final comparison.

One more question, any thoughts on what can and cannot be negotiated to be included in the sale of a trailer in this price range. Jeff Couch site say free 12volt battery, free propane, free dealer prep,free North American Service Network. Seems to me the battery and free propane are pretty cheap "throw ins" but the other two should be free regardless. Am I missing anything.

Thanks, Tigerbug
Get what ever you think you can, you will pay for it one way or another.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #51

One way or the other that's for sure
Old 10-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #52

I have a gmc 2500 diesel. I have been in the mountains and have towed over 12000 miles with the truck and we love the truck, love our silverback, and don't even know it back there.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #53

Looked at Ford trucks yesterday the salesman was very well informed and was a straight shooter. No high pressure and did not even ask our name and contact info which is odd since so many hardly want to have a conversation with you unless you give them that info up front. I still have a guy I talked to months ago that cannot take no for an answer and keeps calling.
If I made a purchase today it would probably be the F350 diesel, 3.73 rear end, SRW. I think this is surely enough truck for the Silverback. Not sure if we would go 4x4 or not. It would be nice when you truly need it but how often you would use is the question. It think it becomes a cost vs. benefit discussion at that point in up front $, added weight, and fuel mileage.
Now we are questioning whether we would ever want to go to a bigger trailer 5+ years down the road, not yet retired. If we think that is "likely" then we might consider going DRW and be done with it since a well cared for diesel has a nice long lifespan.
Regardless we are getting closer to getting this all figured out. Goal would be to have both by early spring to start the season.
Already getting antsy wanting to be outdoors in our own rig and no more hotels when seeing the great outdoors.
Stay tuned.
Tigerbug
Old 10-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #54

If you are thinking about a bigger 5w than the Silverback 29re check out the Silverback 33rl it is not that much difference in price.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #55

kc8ivy
Yes 33rl is very nice but more than we need at least today, especially since this will be our first 5th wheel.

The choice of whether to go DRW vs SRW is what we might do out into the future a bit.

My guess is we will most likely pull the trigger on a SRW and will now need to decide whether 2 or 4 wheel is needed.

Thanks for the input. I bet you are enjoying your coach alot as it is very nice. I thought the quality of the unit was very good. Last night I compared to a sanibel on paper from the brochures and they share many of the same things, although the sanibel is definately built with more insulation for colder weather.

Tigerbug
Old 10-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #56

considering a 33RL

how does the 2500/F250 do pulling the Silverback 33RL?
and do you have any problems with the cathedral ceiling leaks I've seen reported by others?
Gary
etcmss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:26 PM   #57

The truck pulls it great. I am thinking of putting on some air bags. When I am hooked up the truck and trailer are pretty level so I would only need them for a little support.
I already had my truck and wanted a 5w that I could handle without having to buy a new truck.
No leaks so far and no problem with the cathedral ceilings.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by etcmss View Post
how does the 2500/F250 do pulling the Silverback 33RL?
and do you have any problems with the cathedral ceiling leaks I've seen reported by others?
Gary
I have an F250 and have no problems, the CC on my 33RL are very good, people are complaining about not having toppers, but I was told that's why the "cathedral ceiling" they are self cleaning.
jimmac28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #59

I've been looking to upgrade our 5th and the 33rl is a strong contender as well as the Columbus 32rl and Durango 355rl. Our TV is my main concern. I know I will be over the GVWR and Payload but GAWR will probably be just within limits and the Diesel will pull it with ease. I know others tow with a 250/2500 with no problems and most will be over at least one of their weight ratings but in the RV world that just seems to be a fact of life. Will probably talk to our Ins Co to see how that might affect my coverage in case of an Oops.
If I had to do it over again I would definitely go with a 1T and probably a Ford as the tow ratings seem to be more generous that the Dodge. The cost of upgrading to a 1T plus a new 5th is a bit prohibitive so I may just bag, delete and tune my current 2500. If I'm going to be illegal on my wts might says well go all the way, ha, ha.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #60

Two things, the first is I wouldn't tell my insurance company that I will be overweight. Insurance companies are always looking for excuses for not paying out and you plan to give them a big one.

Second, who says it's illegal to exceed the recommended payload capacity of your truck? You're not a commercial carrier are you?

If it were illegal there would be hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Snowbirds getting pulled over by the police as they leave Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc. as they head back north on our Interstate highways.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
ATU Local 788