Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Two things, the first is I wouldn't tell my insurance company that I will be overweight. Insurance companies are always looking for excuses for not paying out and you plan to give them a big one.

Second, who says it's illegal to exceed the recommended payload capacity of your truck? You're not a commercial carrier are you?

If it were illegal there would be hundreds, perhaps thousands, of Snowbirds getting pulled over by the police as they leave Florida, Arizona, Texas, Alabama, Mississippi, etc. as they head back north on our Interstate highways.
I don't fully agree with your not telling your insurance company that you'll be overweight statement.

Insurance companies are not dumb when it comes to finding legitimate reasons not to pay a claim - that's what those full time insurance company investigators do for a living.

Why don't you call your agent with the "I got a friend who was wondering ..."
question and see what he/she says?
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 PM   #62

Ask your agent if you're covered while driving under the influence of alcohol.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #63

If i do talk to the Ins Co it would be more of an informal inquiry. Certainly don't want them opening up a file on me and putting my inquiry in there for future reference.
I just assumed that weight ratings could be used by the insurance co to limit their liability on a claim or decline it outright. Can't say that I've heard of a situation where the insurance co will make you go get weighed to see if they will payoff your claim. Just like to make an informed decision.
Just because cops aren't stopping snowbirds due to weight concerns doesn't mean it's not illegal more a case of something they can use against you in the event of an accident and someone looking for a scapegoat.
Went to see a Silverback 33rl today. Sure is a nice unit. May take the DW back on Saturday and if she likes it as much as me, I may try to swing a deal including a trade for my existing unit. It had most of the options I would consider. The MRSP was $65k and they are asking $50k if I remember correctly. I'll look online and factor in currency exchange and travel costs to see how good a price that is.
Meeting with my neighbourhood mechanic on Tuesday to see what mods would cost. Probably go with Airbags for now and if I like how it handles this summer I will get him to add the compressor, tuner and deletes.
Then I'll be ready to rolllllll
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #64
Always Learning

There have been posts by lawyers and law enforcement officers that your risk liability can increase in the case of being grossly overloaded. I'm not sure how often it actually happens or how fringe of cases it is- but it is definitely something to consider.

That said- I don't think that it's a "given" in the RV world. There are those of us who feel you should be within all of your truck's ratings. We're generally sneered at and called the "weight police". But, hey...
Old 11-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #65
Oklahoma Proud

I believe that would be deemed "gross negligence" when it went to court.

A little word to the wise-

With the abundance of baby boomers hitting the road due to retiring and the such, I would venture a guess that the powers that be and DOT will start seeing $$$$ signs from this greater abundance of rvs on the road and there may more inforcement . I dont know IF this would happen, but I definantly would never say it couldn't. Just dont give them a reason to take any if your $$
( have heard several times about people being stopped from having sewage valves open and caps off)
- we have to follow ALL the dot regulations, even though there are a few that think that they dont apply to rvs.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #66

Here is an update on our search. DW and I both went to look at the Silverback and she liked it as much as me. Still concerned if my Ram 2500 will handle the load so I went back and they loaded it up on their service truck which is an old 3/4 Chev, Diesel and we took it down the road (the service manager drove as I don't have my upgraded drivers license yet). The Chev was almost sitting right down on the axle and even though the sales manager kept raving about how well it handled, every time we hit a bump we started bouncing like a vehicle with no shocks.
I did get to hitch it up to my truck and drove it around their lot. Not a real world test but it seemed to pull fine but would need airbags as I was right down on my overloads. Have my truck up for sale now and searching for F350. Better safe than sorry.
I made them an offer net of trade on my Cougar but they wouldn't move on their price so we are in a cooling off period right now. I mentioned I could get a better deal by going to the US but they responded that they wouldn't service it. That kind of hard line response kind of ticked me off. Have started talking to another dealer about the Columbus and well see what happens. My immediate concern it to upgrade the truck and my license.
Question. The service manager strongly suggested an automatic slider hitch for my short bed (6'3") truck with a cost of $1700. I thought most 5ers now had a front cap that accommodated SB trucks without sliders. Is this not the case for the Silverback?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #67

I am not encouraging anyone to run overweight above ratings - I am very careful and try not to come even close (we are not full timing).... Having said that, I think it would be difficult to impossible to tell if one was overweight after an accident of any serious nature. I have seen these rigs in an accident and you would have to weight what was left using a dump truck to hold all the pieces. If it was a minor accident, I find it very unlikely the responding officer(s) would be carrying scales and suggest you were overweight or waste their time.

Again not suggesting anyone travel unsafe, but realistically how likely are the to weight a rig on scene of an accident??? (Ok maybe in Cali) ... Just thinking dangerously out-loud.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #68

Charli you should go over to the Dodge forum, they talk about your truck there.

Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum
Old 11-20-2013, 11:15 AM   #69

I have the Dodge Cummins site bookmarked and check it out periodically as well as a similar site for the Fords. Both good resources although some of the gearhead talk is a bit over my head. I just want to get from point A to B safely, in comfort and with a bit of style.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM   #70

We have a 2009 Silverback 30WRE. We almost always get compliments on what a nice looking RV and most people think its brand new! We like that with the turning radius we can almost turn on a dime, even though we have a long box Dodge 3500 dually. I like the look of the new models, but I'd be hard pressed to give up the wide body.
IslandWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:48 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandWest View Post
We have a 2009 Silverback 30WRE. We almost always get compliments on what a nice looking RV and most people think its brand new! We like that with the turning radius we can almost turn on a dime, even though we have a long box Dodge 3500 dually. I like the look of the new models, but I'd be hard pressed to give up the wide body.
If it's not broke, don't fix It!
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #72

Put airbags on my 08 dodge 2500 after trading in a 25 footer for a silverback 29re. No regrets. Seems the truck rides better with or with trailer. Help my buddy put some on 08 Ford 3500 single tire last fall and he was very satisfied.
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #73

Silverback 33RL vs. Columbus 320RS

Well I think we have made a choice for our next 5er. The winner is the Columbus by Forest River. We have been comparing both of these units and the Columbus just had a lot of little extra things about it in our opinion for around the same price. Hope were not making a bad choice.
Sodapopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:48 AM   #74
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
I like the grey Silverback becuse it matches my truck and hair on my head. Sometimes when I get next to the trailer, you cannot see my head. Just kidding but, we love the grey 2014 37BH.
skydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:55 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydoctor View Post
I like the grey Silverback becuse it matches my truck and hair on my head. Sometimes when I get next to the trailer, you cannot see my head. Just kidding but, we love the grey 2014 37BH.
X2 love or Grey Silverback also. I wonder why they dont make that style any more. We always get compliments on it. I also like that it matches are truck. Does doesn't match my hair yet....
Old 02-12-2015, 09:19 AM   #76

I have the 2015 Silverback 33rl. TV is 2008 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins. I added helper springs just because I wanted to ensure a perfectly level ride when hitched. Thousands of miles into this, for us, this is a perfect match. i DO NOT have an automstic slider, but manual. I DO NOT NEED THIS. Never have used it. Cap will not hit on a short bed. My previous fifth wheel was also a 36 ft triple slide. Took it tens of thousands of miles, never any concerns, issues, etc. Most important to me is stability, handling, ability to STOP, and front tire full pavement contact. I never exceed 70 mph, even when passing is desired. I fall in and wait. Travel at 62 to 65 mph and get 11 mpg.
Helper spring is a stiffer ride when not hitched, BUT, for me, the perfect balance of the set up makes me confident that the fifth wheel is like it's not even there. I can disengage the hitch pin very easily.
Just say'n.
BTW, my cost was very low 50's with bedroom AC, special upgrade: Whirlpool Gold convection oven, Trail Air hitch, special top of the line home edition queen mattress.
Only item I am buying soon, back up camera. I am often alone when loading at home in overflow parking and need a spotter! Also will help in FL in some of those tighter, shorter spots.
My unit is prepped, for washer, dryer, but units are not installed. That would make a significant difference on front weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #77

I don't see a 2015 33RL listed on the FR site. I see a 2015 CK 34RL. But no 33RL under the SB line.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 02:53 PM   #78

33rl

The 2015 33rl has been re badged as the 33IK. Same unit now with improvements. Quiet ducted ac and refer access without extending a slide.
Plus other minor stuff. floor plan is basically the same. My MSO and title are 2015 33rl.
Hope this clarifies the nomenclature. Mine was built in December 2014 and delivered in March 2015.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
The 2015 33rl has been re badged as the 33IK. Same unit now with improvements. Quiet ducted ac and refer access without extending a slide.
Plus other minor stuff. floor plan is basically the same. My MSO and title are 2015 33rl.
Hope this clarifies the nomenclature. Mine was built in December 2014 and delivered in March 2015.
Oh OK that makes sense. Love the floor plan. I have been looking online at them at Jeff Couch RV Nation. They have them for $47,000. Being on the west coast that price beats the heck out of the local dealers price.
Don't know much about Couchs RV though.
goduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:38 PM   #80
Krusing Since 1975

Send a message via Yahoo to skydoctor
ditto in most campgrounds
skydoctor is offline   Reply With Quote