Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

Silverback roofing staples pushing back up into membrance

I have a 2015 Cedar Creek, Silverback 29IK. I inspect the roof regularly and have noticed some of the staples under the roof membrane have backed out slightly. I would guess maybe 1/8". The staples leave an impression in the roof as they push up and look like they will eventually push through. I can push them down flush with thumb pressure and they will seat back smooth on the roof. This has occurred on both the left and right sides.

My worry is that if left alone they will punch through the membrane.

Has anyone else experienced such a problem? This is our third RV and all had rubber roofs. This is the first time I had noticed this on a roof.

The unit is at the dealership now for a few minor issues identified on delivery in addition to the roof issue. I am waiting to here their opinion but would also like to get some from from my fellow Cedar Creek owners.
txprowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #2

We have not ad that issue with ours
Old 02-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #3

I think we had the same problem with the Wildcat and the tech at T/J found it and the membrane had to be pulled off but if it had not been fixed then it would have caused holes. Thank goodness the tech found it at T/J, we had not found it. But there was a lot wrong with the Wildcat. I just hope the new Cedar Creek is as good as this one

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #4

IMO if you can push the staples back in with your thumb there are MUCH LARGER issues at hand.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:45 PM   #5

I have a 2015 produced April of 2014

SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #6

Sorry about that. You need to ensure the factory is aware and properly documented for future claim should you need repair down the road. If really concerned, find a way for a bring back to factory for repair or roof replacement. You have a $$$$ investment which is not satisfactorily built as it should have been.
Get hold of Denise Davis at the factory and explain what has happened. She was warranty, now has Silverback service center.
Her e mail address is: dldavis@forestriverinc.com
East coast warranty administrator is now Cory Germann.
Cgermann@forestriverinc.com
They will help you. People on the forum are excellent resources, however, you are under warranty and need to understand and repair the problem.
They stepped up immediately on my 2015 with a 3 inch gel coat crack and a re paint and decal of a faded front cap. It is in a shop near my home now. Repairs have been agreed upon. My selling dealer is 1200 miles round trip. That could not happen. I found my own FR dealer to do repairs.
Be calm in your e mail or conversations. They truly want to assist you.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #7

Do you have pics of the staples poking up?
SKGCRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Let us know what the outcome is please.

Salt

Lose the 2nd and the rest will follow.
Salt Shaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM   #9

Thank you to each of you for responding. I do not have pics of the staples. The unit was dropped off at the dealership last Tuesday. I was updated today. Still in the body shop getting some bad decals replaced. Hopefully it will make it to service this week. One thing slowing everything down is the Houston RV Show starts tomorrow and runs through the weekend. SilverbackMel: I have followed your posts on your Silverback since before I bought mine in August of this year. I will do as you suggested and will contact FR. Thank you for taking the time and details you provided. I will update when I know more from the dealership.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:20 PM   #10

You are welcome

I have met and dealt with only top notch people at FR. They have been very cooperative on any issues I have had. I bought the 2 yr vs 1 yr factory warranty.
We went to the rally last year in Goshen and had not only all small issues repaired in 30 minutes but on the way out and backing up, tech jumped out of golf cart and resealed front cap LED lights!
I cannot say how pleasant Denise Davis has been. At age 72, this is likely my last fifth wheel. I am only planning one more x country trip next year. After that its fly, car rental and hotels with a cruise or two tucked in.
We bought this unit because we felt quality surpassed Keystone.
Also we went to a show and fell head over heels with this rear living concept.
In 3 years we may buy a lot in the mountains 60 miles from home and use it as a go to place OR sell it all.
I do not see us leaving the FR family of interactive and fun rv neighbors.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:41 AM   #11

Have a 2014 31RK and when the weather improves will have to check out the roof. Thanks for the update on this problem.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #12

We had a 2013 Silverback that went back to the factory for suspected frame issue-turned out frame was okay. Anyway I turned in a list as per dealer instructions on any other problems. Turned out to be a huge list. One of my main concerns was the shoddy rubber roof installation. Gaps in the roof plywood with some pieces sticking up 1/8 in or more-staples poking up all over and wrinkles in the rubber roof membrane. The bedroom slide roof was so bad I had to sweep it off or it would dump a gallon or more of water inside when we retracted the bedroom slide! Unfortunately the factory said it looked good to them. This was our 3rd 5th wheel so I am not a newbie. That cost them a customer. We just took delivery of a Columbus 29RL and the quality of fit and finish are excellent. Good luck with your problems !
silverback1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof