Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Silverback Trip

Man, do I love having 2 A/Cís and 50 amp service. We arrived in Lawrence Kansas yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon with an outside temperature of 94 degrees. It only took 30 minutes for the A/Cís to get the inside of the Silverback down to a comfortable temperature.

The truck averaged 10.1 MPG with a headwind for our 296 mile trip from Jefferson County Missouri to Lawrence. Thatís about the same I got towing the Wildcat 28RKBS that we used to own.

I donít like toll roads. Itís not about the money, itís about going through those booths. I just donít like it.

Weíre leaving this morning to continue our trip West to Colorado.
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Today we drove through rain in the morning and bright sunshine in the afternoon. Big headwinds and frequents stops cut my average MPG down to 9.5.

We drove 321 miles today and we stopped for the day in Oakley Kansas at the High Plains RV Resort. Resort??? HA!! What a joke. This RV park gets decent, but undeserved reviews, on the website campgroundreviews.com which is why I chose this park. While we were checking in a camper had come back asking for a refund because his 50 amp site couldnít run his two A/Cís. I should have taken a clue a left but I didnít feel like driving any farther. At least our 50 amp site has enough power.

Hereís a photo that gives a clue as to the type of campground weíre at. Yep, itís a converted truck trailer and it has full hookups. Look at the left of the trailer in the background to see more high end trailers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3891.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	15308  
__________________

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Site Team
 
Terier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Today we drove through rain in the morning and bright sunshine in the afternoon. Big headwinds and frequents stops cut my average MPG down to 9.5.

We drove 321 miles today and we stopped for the day in Oakley Kansas at the High Plains RV Resort. Resort??? HA!! What a joke. This RV park gets decent, but undeserved reviews, on the website campgroundreviews.com which is why I chose this park. While we were checking in a camper had come back asking for a refund because his 50 amp site couldnít run his two A/Cís. I should have taken a clue a left but I didnít feel like driving any farther. At least our 50 amp site has enough power.

Hereís a photo that gives a clue as to the type of campground weíre at. Yep, itís a converted truck trailer and it has full hookups. Look at the left of the trailer in the background to see more high end trailers.
Noted and will try to avoid this place for something life like. Enjoyed reading about your journey so please keep us updated.
__________________
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Man, do I love having 2 A/Cís and 50 amp service. We arrived in Lawrence Kansas yesterday at 2:30 in the afternoon with an outside temperature of 94 degrees. It only took 30 minutes for the A/Cís to get the inside of the Silverback down to a comfortable temperature.

The truck averaged 10.1 MPG with a headwind for our 296 mile trip from Jefferson County Missouri to Lawrence. Thatís about the same I got towing the Wildcat 28RKBS that we used to own.

I donít like toll roads. Itís not about the money, itís about going through those booths. I just donít like it.

Weíre leaving this morning to continue our trip West to Colorado.
Oakman - glad your trip is going good.

Questions about your second AC - is it installed in the bedroom and did it come from the factory with it or was it installed later?

What brand is it? We have a 29rk and are getting a Dometric Penquin II installed in the bedroom (unit is factory wired for it).

Where is the thermostat and controls for it? -Our dealer sold us on the P2 and said because it is installed in the bedroom we didn't need to have a wall mounted thermostat and controls due to the lower ceiling height.

Thanks.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
The second A/C is in the bedroom and was installed at the factory. It is the Peguin 2 model which is a low profile A/C. The thermostat for the P2 is on the bedroom wall next to the light switch. The bedroom thermostat operates independently of the thermostat in the main living room. Because warm air rises, it's not unusual for the bedroom A/C to be running when the A/C in the main living area isn't.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
The second A/C is in the bedroom and was installed at the factory. It is the Peguin 2 model which is a low profile A/C. The thermostat for the P2 is on the bedroom wall next to the light switch. The bedroom thermostat operates independently of the thermostat in the main living room. Because warm air rises, it's not unusual for the bedroom A/C to be running when the A/C in the main living area isn't.
Oakman -

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Your bedroom set up must be a little different than our's regarding the bedroom light switch.

We don't have a separate light switch for the bedroom ceiling lights - rather the 4 ceiling lights have their own switches. I don't know why there isn't a wall switch. I find myself reaching for the wall switch and it is not there everytime I go in there. (Also wish there was a small light for the stairs)

It doesn't seem it is mucn of a task to install the P2 if the factory did the wiring. My dealer is charging only 1 hour for labor.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Apparently the bedroom wall switch is something new. It turns on the two overhead lights but not the two above the head board. We have a light above the stairs going to the bedroom but it isn't on a wall switch. You have to walk up dark stairs to turn it on.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Apparently the bedroom wall switch is something new. It turns on the two overhead lights but not the two above the head board. We have a light above the stairs going to the bedroom but it isn't on a wall switch. You have to walk up dark stairs to turn it on.
Now I'm jealous!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Nuts

A major thunderstorm passed through the campground at Oakley, Kansas in the middle of the night. Man, the constant lightning and thunder produced quite a light and sound show.

NUTS! While I was doing the black tank flush thing I trip over the hose. It pulled the connection enough that it leaks so bad we canít use it again until I make a repair. It will have to wait until we spend the week at Mountaindale Campground.

We were only traveling 116 miles today to Siebert, Colorado so we didnít leave the High Plains RV Resort (HA!) until 10:30. We stopped at the Colorado welcome center and ate a quick lunch. Thatís one more thing I love about the floor plan of our new Silverback 29RL, full access to the interior. We donít have to open any slideouts to get to the fridge or food storage.

We arrived at the Shady Grove Campground in Seibert, Colorado just after 1:30. We hooked up our new tailgater Dish satellite system and had it up and running in 10 minutes. I knew this campground wasnít going to be the greatest, but I wasnít expecting to be put into a site next to harvesters. Oh well, SIL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3920.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	15324  
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Short, easy trip today to Mountaindale Campground south of Colorado Springs. We will be spending seven days here. After setting up camp we drove back into Colorado Springs to fuel up the truck and replenish our supply of Bud Light. Nothing else planned for today or tomorrow other than a few walks around the campground as we adjust to altitude.

We love traveling with the CC Silverback.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
I love the mountains and Mountaindale Campground is one of my favorite RV parks. How can you not like a park that has mule deer wandering around in the evening?

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Today we ate lunch at The Airplane Restaurant in Colorado Springs. Even with the air conditioning it was rather warm sitting in the fuselage of the plane. Booth style seating, four person booths on one side and two person booths on the other. The food was surprisingly good.

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
BigTJohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Palm Coast FL
Posts: 746
Since you are where I am planning to go later (Aug) just wondering how the fires are affecting either your travel or the CO economy?
__________________
Brenda and John
'14 Ram 3500 MCSB 6.7L HO PullRite 16K S/G, Grey Columbus 320RS Camped '14 - 146 days/'15 - 196 days
USN-EOD(Ret), Master Chief, 30 yrs,
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
The fires really aren't affecting us other than the fact that we can't have a campfire. The local news is dominated by the fire stories. Sale of fireworks have been banned for the 4th of July.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
I have to say that our Silverback has put the "fun" back into RVing. We had so many issues with our previous Wildcat fifth wheel it just wasn't fun anymore. On almost every trip something would break or go wrong and RVing had become a chore.

In 2007 we visited the Royal Gorge and we walked across the top and then took the Incline Railway to the bottom of the gorge. Today we went through the Royal Gorge via the Royal Gorge Railway. Beautiful scenery for sure.

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
BOBFIDY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Broken Arrow, OK
Posts: 1,110
Good looking pictures Oakman. Looking forward to seeing you guys in Goshen in August.

Keep up the stories and pictures of your trip.

Travel safe.
__________________
2011 FORD F350 CREW CAB DUALLY DIESEL 4x2
2010 Salem LA 292FKDS
One of the Original 14 F.R.O.G.s
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #17
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
Today we ate lunch at The Airplane Restaurant in Colorado Springs. Even with the air conditioning it was rather warm sitting in the fuselage of the plane. Booth style seating, four person booths on one side and two person booths on the other. The food was surprisingly good.

Oakman - Just take that old KC-97 up to about 25-30K feet and it will get real cool real fast!
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
The rally in Goshen looks like it will be a lot of fun Bob. I'm looking forward to seeing you again and it will be interesting to see all the new faces too.

B47, with a screen name like your's, I'm sure you know all about the KC-97's.
__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Oakman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Jefferson County, MO
Posts: 5,410
Today we hiked and explored Cheyenne Mountain State Park. I wanted to see what the full hookup campsites in the park looked like. Thereís not a lick of shade anywhere in the campground but what I found surprising was the concrete wheel stops that were placed to make sure you keep the trailer on the pad. The concrete would be just outside your trailer door. All of the campsites had these concrete barriers. I could see myself tripping over these at night. Iíll pass on this campground.



While exploring the state park we came across a prairie dog colony. In an attempt to get a photo, I discovered that it is next to impossible to sneak up on prairie dogs. When one prairie dog sounds the alarm they all take off for their burrows. I had to use the maximum optical zoom on my camera and then edit and enlarge the photo to get this picture.

__________________


Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
JDWeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the desert
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I love the mountains and Mountaindale Campground is one of my favorite RV parks. How can you not like a park that has mule deer wandering around in the evening?
I have to agree about the deer in Mountaindale. We stayed there for the month of May and one morning I got up, plopped into my favorite chair, reached over and raised the blinds to see this...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Deer.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	15533

She was just as unconcerned as can be! We did enjoy the campground and the area, but after 20+ years at sea level, the 6600 ft elevation of the campground did tend to leave me short of breath
__________________

__________________
TV, 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad cab short bed, Cummins 5.9, Edge Comp, Gauges.
5ver, 2011 Palamino Sabre 31 RETS.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:08 PM.


×