Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
Skirting 2013 36 ckts

Has any one had problems with their skirting coming loose from frame? I have had to replace and add more screws, Factory used sheet metal screws 3 on each side the skirting pulls loose frame screws.I replaced them with sheet metal screws with rubber washers seems to work! Just FYI

linjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Noticed ours look loose on our 38ck , good to know I will inspect closer

14 CC 38CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
I added additional self-drilling screws to each side. I used #12 x 3/4" self-drilling hex head with neoprene washers screws.
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #4
Ham Radio since 1970
Lots of folks have had the same problem. Not a good design as far as I am concerned. I added several screws on each side. I used a self tapping screw, a split ring locking washer, a 1 1/2" fender washer with a 1 1/2 " rubber washer between the fender washer and the sheet metal. None of the screws have loosened at all in two years.

Hope this helps.
Mike & Nena Strong
2013 Cedar Creek 36RE
2012 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 3500HD Diesel 4WD
Nights camped '13: 56 '14: 51 '15: 134 '16: 149

N9ID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Former Full Timer
Originally Posted by linjen View Post
Has any one had problems with their skirting coming loose from frame? I have had to replace and add more screws, Factory used sheet metal screws 3 on each side the skirting pulls loose frame screws.I replaced them with sheet metal screws with rubber washers seems to work! Just FYI
This has been an issue for years and CC is well aware of it. If you look back to my posts in this section about two years ago you should find photos of my fux which is very similiar to yours. I even included a reinforcement for the plastic plug forward of the steps.

Why has CC not fixed this? you might ask. A two fold answer. Most folks do not travel far enough at highway speeds for it to become a problem. Those that do fix it themselves just like we did. (They reinforce the wheel well skirting too.) This maximizes FR profits so why would they. "We have met the enemy and he is us." W. Kelly
The recipe for perpetual ignorance is:
Be satisfied with your opinions
and content with your knowledge.
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #6
Had a similar issue with the skirting on my 26FKWS, the support brackets were loose or in one case not connected on both ends plus the skirt on the slide out had no support brackets. My brother and I pop riveted where the skirts overlapped while I was on my maiden trip and the dealer fixed up the rest plus install support brackets on the slide under warrantee. Its good to have a friend supportive dealer, buy at home when you can.
2015 Flagstaff 26FKWS
rthomaslyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:42 PM   #7
Same problem with my 2703ws trailer

I was leaving for the winter to a warmer area and while driving I noticed that the skirting started to flap. So I stopped looked under the trailer and saw that one aluminum bracket had pulled out of the floor. This allowed the skirting to flop and eventually pull out the front screws and slip out of the track that runs along the trailer skirt. Well I had a battery drill and assorted screws. I temporarily made the repair. Once settled I reinstalled the skirting but I still had to use additional screws. NOW They ONLY used TWO of the support brackets for a piece of skirting that was over 12 feet. You would think that they would have used a few more brackets as these are just simple aluminum brackets. Very disappointed with Forest River! I ended up stopping at a hardware store and making an additional bracket. I checked the other side (door side) of the trailer and the length was less so I thought this will hold. No such luck on the way home the other side came lose actually broke the bracket. So I did the same repair. Lucky I made a spare bracket.
Anyway I wish that these engineers would actually pull a trailer and do some camping.
I plan on going to the dealer and getting a more of those brackets.
The more I read the more I realize that even thou the dealer looks the trailer over you still need to go over the unit. You canít expect the dealer to fix stuff that should have been caught at the factory.

pauljackie is offline   Reply With Quote