Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Slide Awning Rails

Just A heads up. Went up on the roof of our CC the other day and found that the slide cover rail was pulling away from the side of the camper. Pulled the trim strip out of the rail and found only 1 Screw in the rail. quess they figured the butyl tape would hold it secure. NOT!
Tomorrow I will be checking all 5 slides plus the Awning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Sept 2012 026.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	19816   Click image for larger version

Name:	Camping Sept 2012 027.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	19817  
CAUTION behind this truck is A contagious disease!!!
Its called Camping!!!
kirk37r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
Where am I?

Just saw your post and thought I'd post a solution that worked for me in a more extreme case.....
On our old Class C, the roof had leaked at some point, and the end of our awning came loose because there was nothing left to hold the screws in. This was an older RV and we definitely didn't want to go into tearing out walls. We were camping with friends when this happened, and they do commercial roofing and use Conklin Products which they swear by. He had some 360-S Caulking he brought over and we "glued" that strip back up against the siding, filled up a couple of screw holes and shoved screws back in. Propped something against it for overnight, and it held like you wouldn't believe! We camped in it for another 2 years, with no problems from that again. This stuff is great. When it bonds, it's there! You can find it here:
https://www.conklin.com/cart/itemDet...4#.UF948VHF3kk
BTW, you might check for leaks around that area too just in case. We had long since fixed our leaks, but it still had the damage inside.
Ishigawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning