Old 06-03-2015, 05:25 PM   #1

Slide problem.

On our 2012 36RE, I had a slide damaged by a golf cart 2 winters back, Fixed all the visual damage than.
Now I am breaking teeth off the rack gear that keeps very thing in sync. when the slide goes in or out.
I am getting ready to put in the third gear.

CC has given me a possible fix which assumes the outer tube has bent up and allowing the slide guide to move and jump out of time.

Sounds plausible and on looking at the tube it does appear to be bent up a bit. That would mean there is a vary small tolerance between right and wrong.

Just asking if any have had that experience and the results. At $40. a gear I would not like to do any more experimenting if possible.

jwakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

The bent tube is possible, but jumping teeth may not be what is occurring. If this was occurring the slide would eventually not go in evenly. If the tube is bent enough to allow it to ride high on the gear it may be enough to start chewing off the outer most part of the gear teeth. If possible you should have someone run the slides in and out, you can lay under the slide and see if you can pinpoint the problem.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #3
Old Member

Might take a look. Don't know if it's an answer.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vspf...s/pdf/0065.pdf
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #4

The fix linked by Cool Canuck is EXACTLY what you need. I had the exact same problem on my main slide on my CC 38CK. The slideout would get skewed, the rack would ride up over the gear pack teeth and gear teeth would break off. It was due to the uneven forces due to the Cedar Creek setup and and some binding of the slide room. I did not see the aforementioned fix and ended up cutting a small metal plate about 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches square and inserting it between the outer tube and the inner tube to fill the gap. I also used a C clamp to squeeze the hump out of the outer tube. The steel plate was welded in place to the top of the outer tube. This greatly stiffens the top of the outer tube. The slide works great now. It may be a bit of overkill but I'm not taking chances.
Sterlingsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #5

Sterlingsilver ,What did you do with the little wear device in the outer tube?
The small plate you made I assume is between the inter and outer tube and under the wear device.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:18 PM   #6

Good question. I drilled a 1 inch hole in the plate. Had hoped that would keep the plate in place but it didn't. I ran a weld bead across the upper edge of the outer tube and the front edge of the plate. It made everything really rigid. I thought it might bind or screech but it doesn't. Originally thought about welding a U channel to the outside of the outer tube but that didn't address the excess gap issue. I screwed around with this for over a week. RV Upgrades got me replacement gears so I didn't have to buy the whole pack.
Sterlingsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

Here is the results of doing the washer shim fix shown in earlier post.

IT WORKS.

The slide is working just like it should. No skipping, no gear teeth busting.

I hope the designers have beefed up the inter tube to prevent this in future builds.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

You can look back at my things. Herk gave the Lippert field fix of grinding a washer and putting it on top of the plunger. Hope it helps. Fixed my problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
slide