Old 04-02-2016, 12:18 AM   #11

Call me crazy but as I look at your photo it looks like you have a small ripped D seal, maybe an inch long at the top rear of your slide. If that is all that is torn and the rubber is still supple I would not replace the whole thing. It is at the rear of your trailer and is meant to seal when the slide is closed. I would worry if it was at the front edge where when towing rain could force its way in.

I would keep on it. It is at a location where you can feel from the inside when the slide is open to see if there is water penetration. If there is, replace it.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:48 AM   #12

I took a piece of rubber from an old inner tube and with some "3M" adhesive repaired the torn area

Old 04-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #13

It does not seam like a 2014 slide rubber should be that way,,,
wonder if it came out of the factory like that ???
Old 04-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #14

Its still not to late to install "Slide Covers" also! Youroo!!
Old 04-02-2016, 02:17 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Its still not to late to install "Slide Covers" also! Youroo!!
Haha!

There are 3 slide toppers in my shop now awaiting installation once I'm done with the roof and seal repair...
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Call me crazy but as I look at your photo it looks like you have a small ripped D seal, maybe an inch long at the top rear of your slide. If that is all that is torn and the rubber is still supple I would not replace the whole thing. It is at the rear of your trailer and is meant to seal when the slide is closed. I would worry if it was at the front edge where when towing rain could force its way in.

I would keep on it. It is at a location where you can feel from the inside when the slide is open to see if there is water penetration. If there is, replace it.
True, the pic shows a seal at the rear of the slide, however, the front is in a similar or worse condition.

Both of the opposing slides are this way while the bedroom slide is okay... no tares anywhere. The seals that are torn do not show any rot or cracking but I am finding a lot of rubber stuck to the back side of the flanges where they press up against the D-seals. To me it seems the previuos owner used the wrong products when attempting to care for these seals.

I have an additional question... should the top inside corners of the slide flanges be sealed with silicone caulk? I'm wondering if the caulk stuck to the seals and tore them upon opening...

Old 04-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #17

Ok, different story now with the front edge also torn. How long have you had this RV? Have you had it out in the hard rain while towing? Is there any evidence of water damage inside around the slides?

You have two layers of seal. The D seal that the side presses against and the wiper seal that is snug against the side of the slide. I doubt even if they are perfect that that setup is completely waterproof if towing in a 60 mph rain storm but it is probably better when not compromised. To keep down the grief I would go ahead and change it out and then make sure to use the right treatment for the rubber.

I would also make sure the back side of the slide is not sticky or have excess caulk that could stick to the rubber.

Old 04-02-2016, 04:50 PM   #18

I found this video on YouTube. Sound a lot like what you are doing. You need to fast forward thru some of the banter but still informative... http://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU

Old 04-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
I found this video on YouTube. Sound a lot like what you are doing. You need to fast forward thru some of the banter but still informative... http://youtu.be/spdYGUtZVcU
Thanks for the feedback and the video link! I watched that one before I started the roof repair.

I forgot to take a finished photo of the 4" strip over the top running the entire length. Monday I will put a thin layer of Dicor at the edge of the tape so the wiper seal does not catch it upon closing.

I have only had the trailer for about 3 weeks and have not driven in the rain. I have not yet found any evidence of water intrusion and this is why I am kinda on a mission to seal it up as best I can to prevent it. Fortunately I have space indoors at work for it so I am able to tend to it as I can. I have an in with the boss (my wife is married to him...)

I am going to replace the torn D-seals and be done with it. What caulk should I use along the top horizontal edge? I seems to be some sort of silicone.

After the new seals are in I'll clean the remaining ones, treat with 303 protectant and coat with baby powder. I have seen videos suggesting the use of powder...any thoughts? I'm thinking it might help prevent further sticking and tearing.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #20

Good idea. Be done with it and not worry the first time pulling it down the road in a rain storm

Never heard the baby powder idea. Sounds like a pain in the baby butt though. Why not just spray the 303 along the metal part of the slide that comes in contact with the D seal? Seems it would help the rubber to not stick to it. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
slide