Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2015, 09:42 PM   #1

Slide sequence.

So, we have this new Silverback 29RE with level up and hydraulic slides. When sliding out, the sequence is bedroom first, dining second, kitchen last.
When sliding in, the sequence is the same. The bedroom is the smallest and shortest slide.
The dining room slide has to open before we have access to the fridge. When we make a pit stop along the highway, the bedroom slide must fully extend before the dining slide will start moving.

1. Is there a good reason for this sequence?
If not,
2. Can it be changed?
3. Has anyone changed it?

I'm thinking it's as simple as wire connections to the solenoid, but.......what might I be missing?
Old 08-12-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

They are hydraulic and on the same system, so the easiest one to push goes out first (bedroom). You probably have three lockout valves somewhere to allow you to isolate one slide by turning the other two slide valves off.
Demco Glide Ride pin box
Demco Hijacker UMS 21K hitch
mlatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 AM   #3

we have the sb 31rk and thats same sequence as ours. there are 3 knobs in the command center that you can use to manually slide in or out. I tried it and whoa what a mess. so I dont' think I will be doing that number again. dont know how to change sequence since no paperwork showing diagram. but the seq. works for us.
stormy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

Stormy2000,
In what way was it a mess? I'm thinking of using the lockout valves to selectively open out a slide.....what happened😳?
jaygeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 AM   #5

The lock out valves are very easy to use. Screw in the knob to shut it off, simple. no mess. If you want just the kitchen slide to open, screw in the other two and leave the kitchen knob open. And only that slide will open.
mbienve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:10 PM   #6

Faulty knob hydraulic fluid started leaking.. finally got it to tighten. Dealer replaced faulty knob
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

I've used the lock out valves to just put out one slide. It works fine. I've read on the forum that some folks do it all the time. I found the lock out valves are fairly hard to turn so I choose not to play with them much ... anything that doesn't move easily tells me not to mess with it if I don't have to. Maybe some lube would make them turn easier but I don't have the need to tinker with them.

We don't put out slides at a road side stop. Also, I'm virtually certain there's nothing you can do about the slide order. That's just hydraulics following the path of least resistance -- easiest slide to move will move. If at some point another slide became easier, it will move. I've seen my living room slide occasionally move maybe halfway then the kitchen slide starts moving then it switches back to finish the living room slide.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 11:25 PM   #8

Say whaaaat? I have this set up and use it 100% of the time. The knobs are in that control panel by your hook ups and those knobs turn EZ. No, not so easy your 6yr old can do it but certainly any non handicapped person with average finger dexterity can.
The one labeled "opposing slide" is for the kitchen area. Turn the other 2 off and leave that one ON. Press the interior slide switch and PRESTO, Let your slide out to clear your island.
Now eat! Don't forget to close it as you drive away!!
It ain't hard folks! It's hydraulic!!😁👍
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:09 AM   #9

didnt say it was hard, just faulty as the dealer replaced it.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #10

When I go on the road next year I plan to stop at lunch and put the slide out that the frig is on, I can get to everything else and I like to take a nap at lunch. DW like to watch NCIS on DVD, mostly sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:28 AM   #11
Old Member

Those knobs get hard to turn when there is Hyd pressure in the line. Bump the hydraulic system to relieve the pressure.
Cool Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
Say whaaaat? I have this set up and use it 100% of the time. The knobs are in that control panel by your hook ups and those knobs turn EZ. No, not so easy your 6yr old can do it but certainly any non handicapped person with average finger dexterity can.
Okay... you forced me to admit to the arthritis in my hands! Maybe if I used the valves more, they would turn easier.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 04:06 PM   #13

One final comment regarding those of us with the kitchen slide that needs to extend to reach the refer.

I carry a couple of orange caution cones in the bed of my truck. With the slide partially extended, often I am within the lane. HOWEVER, if I am close OR in a position where others may approach very fast, I place 2 safety cones strategically.

I tend to work under the assumption
that I want drivers to SEE US EARLY!

Be safe and enjoy your travels!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #14

On my 29 RE. You will still have to climb on the counter to get to the frig if the kitchen slide is out. Need the door entrance slide to be out to get to the frig. They might have changed them but my slides are less than a foot away from the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #15

arpipeliner, mine is set up just like yours. But, thanks to several posts in this thread, I've figured out how to manipulate the hydraulics to accomplish what I want.

Thanks to everyone,..... you guys are a collective wealth of knowledge
Old 09-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #16

Those Slide Hydraulic Control Knobs........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Canuck View Post
Those knobs get hard to turn when there is Hyd pressure in the line. Bump the hydraulic system to relieve the pressure.
We've had our SilverBack 29RE for a month now and loving it Cool Canuck's post was very helpful for me to gain confidence in using the three slide control knobs. My first experience using the controls was to leave them alone because the knobs are tough to turn and I didn't want to screw something up Well, I now use the controls without hesitation when needed. Thank you Cool Canuck When we operate the slides in/out switch, when do we know to release the switch as the slides near fully out or in? Yes, we listen for the hydraulic pump to slow down and labor.......when the pump slows down the pressure in the lines is rising quickly and this pressure build up is what makes the control knobs difficult to turn. As Cool Canuck says..."bump" or operate the slides in/out switch for a second and this will reduce the pressure and make the knobs much easier to turn. For example, let's say you want to bring out only the dining table/sofa slide (29RE) so that you can get to the Refrigerator without crawling over the counter/sink.....operate the slide in/out switch for a second in the "out" direction....STOP...now you would "close" (clockwise) the knobs to the bedroom and refrigerator/stove slides so they don't move out AND you will now notice the knobs turn much easier. Proceed to operate the slide switch "OUT" to open the Dining table/Sofa slide. To close, operate the slide switch "IN", but before you close the slide all the way in STOP and open the control knobs "counter-clockwise" that were closed earlier. The knobs will turn easily. Now continue to close up the slide....by having all three control knobs open, all three slides will close in tight.

Nice feature to have and learn to use.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM   #17

Hydraulic Control Knob Labels.....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...1&d=1441919562

Got out the label maker and made some operation notes for the three slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0927.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	88304  

Tags
slide