Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #1

Something always breaking

Seems, every time we take the 5th wheel out, something bounces loose and/or breaks. One of the overhead pendant lights broke once. Both window crank knobs behind the rear couch have broken and been replaced. All the side curtain holders (little cheap plastic things) have broke. And now, the newest and worse breakage - the TV mounting bracket broke out of the back of the tv and the tv dropped to the ground and busted up the screen. Taking it in next week for warranty - hope they don't give me grief.

Starting to look for a replace pinbox to try and smooth out this trailer. Wife is getting frustrated that something breaks every time we go out.

Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #2

Yeah. It's a mess.

First, stop replacing the plastic curtain holders. Just let them dangle. They will break in 2 days after replacing, ad nauseum. They do make metal ones, if you can find them, but they might cut the furniture.

TV is a big one, sorry about that. Mine has worked fine for 4 years. No issues. I have the motorized one, that goes up and down.

I've had about everything break that can be broken. But it's ALL fixed now and we love it. Frustrating, yes. My list is quite long.

CC has fixed it all. I have annual appt. with Orvan and he ensures all is working.

I know you won't want to hear this, but these are heavy units, and the truly only thing that helps is getting MorRyde Independent Suspension. You can get any kind of kingpin you want, or any kind of hitch. Maybe help, but hardly noticeable. The only noticeable difference was when I went to I.S. That is night and day. Before that, I bounced down the road like a rubber ball. Now, smooth as it can be. Also, I got the next size up TrailAir, and it works.......the smaller size never did.

That's my best advice. Sorry, but it ain't cheap!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Yeah. It's a mess.

First, stop replacing the plastic curtain holders. Just let them dangle. They will break in 2 days after replacing, ad nauseum. They do make metal ones, if you can find them, but they might cut the furniture.

TV is a big one, sorry about that. Mine has worked fine for 4 years. No issues. I have the motorized one, that goes up and down.

I've had about everything break that can be broken. But it's ALL fixed now and we love it. Frustrating, yes. My list is quite long.

CC has fixed it all. I have annual appt. with Orvan and he ensures all is working.

I know you won't want to hear this, but these are heavy units, and the truly only thing that helps is getting MorRyde Independent Suspension. You can get any kind of kingpin you want, or any kind of hitch. Maybe help, but hardly noticeable. The only noticeable difference was when I went to I.S. That is night and day. Before that, I bounced down the road like a rubber ball. Now, smooth as it can be. Also, I got the next size up TrailAir, and it works.......the smaller size never did.

That's my best advice. Sorry, but it ain't cheap!

Do you mind me asking where you had your MorRyde suspension installed? Did MorRyde do it at their plant in Elkhart IN?

Old 07-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsykora View Post
Do you mind me asking where you had your MorRyde suspension installed? Did MorRyde do it at their plant in Elkhart IN?

I think that's the only place you can get it done aftermarket. They did mine, as well as my riser install. Good customer service.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:

Sorry, I've been gone.
I got it done at their facility in Elkhart. I dealt with Rob Kolean but he is not longer there. Email brian.hosinksi@morryde.com. He is the one I dealt with.

I took it back this spring because I had a bit of odd tire wear. I was in the area. They found it was out of align, and one spring had broken. So they fixed that. I also upgraded to G114 tires and wheels with them.

I don't know of anywhere else that does it, but their website has a lot of info on it.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-03-2019, 01:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Sorry, I've been gone.
I got it done at their facility in Elkhart. I dealt with Rob Kolean but he is not longer there. Email brian.hosinksi@morryde.com. He is the one I dealt with.

I took it back this spring because I had a bit of odd tire wear. I was in the area. They found it was out of align, and one spring had broken. So they fixed that. I also upgraded to G114 tires and wheels with them.

I don't know of anywhere else that does it, but their website has a lot of info on it.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some investigating on this but it's certainly a contender.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:48 PM   #7

Have you balanced your trailer tires? Not something the factory usually does, cuz nobody rides in the trailer. Helps with all the bouncing.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll have to do some investigating on this but it's certainly a contender.

Some may remember but when I got this in May 2016, it was a mess. Slides falling out, black tank plumbed wrong, 99 other things. All are fixed now. In great shape.

But driving it home from Ohio was a nightmare. I was scared...."What have I done?">...... it bounced all over.

I TRIED the Joy Rider shocks. They did absolutely nothing. Waste of $900.00. Painful.

I finally borrowed the money from IRA and bit the bullet and did the I.S. at MorRyde. WOW.

Now, my TRUCK rides like a hay wagon, but the trailer is amazing. If I go over a RR track, the truck goes bump, bump. But you never hear or feel the trailer. Stuff on top shelves just stays there. I can see why the really high end units come with I.S.

I'll never get another unit, but if I did, I wouldn't stop for the night, before I went to MorRyde and got I.S.

One thing that also helped SOME is that I had Orvan install the next size up TrailAir kingpin. I had 18K and went to 21K. The 18K was maxed out in order to work. The 21K takes less than maximum air, and does way better.

Everything is always sized either too small or just barely enough. Beefing things up does help.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 07-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #9

If you don't have the Trailair kingpin hitch I would definitely start with that. We don't have IS suspension but haven't had much trouble with things shaking loose in the trailer. The roads are terrible and I'm always amazed that we don't get more damage but the Trailair obsorbs a LOT of road shock.
5er - 2013 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Classic Champagne Touring Edition
Stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote