Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

Spare tire loose

I have a CC fifth wheel were the spare attaches to the underside towards the back. Presently going across country and every time I stop I find the spare has come loose and is hanging down. I have to tighten it at least once a day. Have tightened it so much that I'm afraid the cable is going to break. Is there a way to prevent it from coming loose, type of lock or DIY solution? Think it's a Lippert tire holder.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:23 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheelers View Post
I have a CC fifth wheel were the spare attaches to the underside towards the back. Presently going across country and every time I stop I find the spare has come loose and is hanging down. I have to tighten it at least once a day. Have tightened it so much that I'm afraid the cable is going to break. Is there a way to prevent it from coming loose, type of lock or DIY solution? Think it's a Lippert tire holder.
Thanks in advance.
My friend's SOB (some other brand Grand Design) does this. It comes lose every trip.
He wound up using an old pair of channel locks clamped to the tightening rod/tube so they touch the frame and keep the mechanism from backing off.

I imagine a bolt through a hole drilled in the rod/tube at the appropriate place would accomplish the same.

I have the same style spare holder and mine has never come loose.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #3

I had the rear automotive type spare tire carrier on my last 3 fivers. Many that have this setup simply put a ratchet strap thru the wheel spokes and tire carrier frame as a form of insurance should the cable come loose. It has worked flawlessly for us and many others. You don't have to mess with anything on the crank rod shaft.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #4

I just run a ratchet strap from one side of the RV frame across the the other side of the RV frame over the spare tire and cut off the excess strap. If you make it tight enough, it won't come loose. Simple and cheap.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 PM   #5

Great ideas, thanks to everyone for your ideas. Sounds like the strap is the solution.

Tags
tire