Old 01-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #1
Specific tire info

I am posting this on both Cedar Creek and Cardinal FR sites. My 2015 Silverback 33rl came with the cheap Chinese, Double King tires: ST23580R16. They are now two years old and have less than 3,000 miles on them. OVER THE NEXT 5 YEARS, we are planning on doing the remainder of our bucket list towing the RV as age is charging at us quickly.

I need EXPERIENCED INFORMATION as I am considering pulling the trigger on replacing these Double Kings with the following:

Goodyear Unisteel G614
"G" rated
110 psi

I have a price of balanced and installed at Discount Tire at a TOTAL of $1,450. Probably another $50 a tire ($200) for the road hazard warranty.

Please let me have your experience with these tires. Yes, I know I have to check my rims for the pressure maximum. I am pretty confident they will. But, cannot check until I can get to the unit in the mountains.

SilverbackMel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Usually Confused Member
After going through the china bomb problems (three sets in 4,000 miles) I followed my tire dealers recommendation and installed the G614. Cannot say enough good about them after almost 20,000 miles. Still look almost new. These are installed on a 14,000+ pound gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters. These units are generally much harder on tires than fifth wheels because of all the movement of the animals while driving. The payload usually runs over 4,000 pounds.

Your price of $1,450 is a really good deal and I doubt you'll find them for less anywhere else.

At some point during every day you suddenly realize nothing else productive is going to happen the rest of that day. For me, it usually occurs around 9 am.

Vengeance 25V (the Harley needed a home)
emm-dee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #3

That's the experience I am talk'n about! Thanks. Seems like a lot of money but on my 2011, 4 years ago,
$3500 tire tred separation. Cost me $1000 deductible plus new tire at $175. Never felt comfortable again!
Old 01-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #4
I've only been a Forest River owner for about a year, but I've had 3 new fivers prior in the Keystone world. Many friends were longtimers or fulltimers and most all had gone with the G614's with their heavier trailers 12K+ as they all grew tired of sitting on pins and needles anticipating the Marabombs (Good Year Marathon) to pop ... and they most always did within the first year. There should be a sticker on the back of your rims indicating them to be good for 110# pressure ... Tredit makes most of the RV wheels ... give them a call. That being said, not all my friends run at 110#, but use a tire inflation chart that corresponds to actual weight of their fiver. The G614's have little tread as compared to what you have, but that's just the way they are made. If you're always adding a bit of air to your current China tires ... you'll not do so with the G614's as they seem to hold pretty much constant pressure aside from drastic temp changes. When you get the tires, seriously consider some brand of tire monitor system (I have TST) and defiitely go with steel valve stems. The 614's are a chunk of change, but peace of mind is hard to put a price on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
All great info. I did forget to put steel valve stems on my list. I do have a Tire Minder TMS that serves me well. Appreciate the wheel pressure max info! Hoping present ones will work as they are chrome and don't want to replace unless I have to.
We hope there is 1 more x country trip and 1 to Canada before we just stay east of Mississippi and eventually an annual spot in S Florida.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:19 PM   #6
Retired May 2015
Discount tire took care of me! Just before I retired, I "retired" my TV and 5th wheel there. I happened to buy Michelin rv ribs but USA made GY are perfectly fine too in my opinion. I did not buy the road hazard warranty. Wouldn't you know it about 4 weeks later, coming back from a trip to Oregon, I hit a piece of something on I5. Discount Tire sold me the road hazard warranty after the fact and saved me $200 plus on the replacement, times 11 including fiver spare. My only advice is to request fresh tire manufacturer dates. Google this and it will tell you the codes. Happy trails.
Dennis & Carol
2005 Bulletproofed F-250 6.0 Crew Cab/Long Box
2007 Forest River 38 ft Sierra
Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:45 AM   #7

My Cedar Creek came with the Goodyear G614's. That is one thing that sold me on the unit I purchased. They have about 11,000 miles on them with no problems. The piece of mind is worth a lot. NO MORE China bombs for me.
2014 Cedar Creek 34 RLSA-7
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ SRW

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #8

SOLD......doing the switch in March before our spring /summer journeys.
* check existing rims for PSI
* steel valve stems
* re set my TPMS
* check mfgr date codes
* consider road hazard coverage
* full wheel balance

Thanks to those who responded to this thread. Much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #9
The G614 was a big plus for us on this Cedar Creek. The new Cedar Creeks don't come with the Goodyears, last years model 36CKTS came with the G614. Now Cedar Creek does not even offer them as a option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:24 AM   #10
BUYERS NEED TO REFUSE THESE CHINESE TIRES WHICH WOULD FORCE INUSTRY TO "SEE THE LIGHT". I was sleepwalking at my Silverback build order! Worried about a damned "convection oven"! Soooo disapointed not putting SAFETY FIRST!!