Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2016, 10:50 AM   #1

Specific tire info

I am posting this on both Cedar Creek and Cardinal FR sites. My 2015 Silverback 33rl came with the cheap Chinese, Double King tires: ST23580R16. They are now two years old and have less than 3,000 miles on them. OVER THE NEXT 5 YEARS, we are planning on doing the remainder of our bucket list towing the RV as age is charging at us quickly.

I need EXPERIENCED INFORMATION as I am considering pulling the trigger on replacing these Double Kings with the following:

USA MADE
Goodyear Unisteel G614
"G" rated
23585R16
110 psi

I have a price of balanced and installed at Discount Tire at a TOTAL of $1,450. Probably another $50 a tire ($200) for the road hazard warranty.

Please let me have your experience with these tires. Yes, I know I have to check my rims for the pressure maximum. I am pretty confident they will. But, cannot check until I can get to the unit in the mountains.
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 AM   #2

After going through the china bomb problems (three sets in 4,000 miles) I followed my tire dealers recommendation and installed the G614. Cannot say enough good about them after almost 20,000 miles. Still look almost new. These are installed on a 14,000+ pound gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters. These units are generally much harder on tires than fifth wheels because of all the movement of the animals while driving. The payload usually runs over 4,000 pounds.

Your price of $1,450 is a really good deal and I doubt you'll find them for less anywhere else.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:22 PM   #3

G614

That's the experience I am talk'n about! Thanks. Seems like a lot of money but on my 2011, 4 years ago,
$3500 tire tred separation. Cost me $1000 deductible plus new tire at $175. Never felt comfortable again!
Old 01-24-2016, 12:59 PM   #4

I've only been a Forest River owner for about a year, but I've had 3 new fivers prior in the Keystone world. Many friends were longtimers or fulltimers and most all had gone with the G614's with their heavier trailers 12K+ as they all grew tired of sitting on pins and needles anticipating the Marabombs (Good Year Marathon) to pop ... and they most always did within the first year. There should be a sticker on the back of your rims indicating them to be good for 110# pressure ... Tredit makes most of the RV wheels ... give them a call. That being said, not all my friends run at 110#, but use a tire inflation chart that corresponds to actual weight of their fiver. The G614's have little tread as compared to what you have, but that's just the way they are made. If you're always adding a bit of air to your current China tires ... you'll not do so with the G614's as they seem to hold pretty much constant pressure aside from drastic temp changes. When you get the tires, seriously consider some brand of tire monitor system (I have TST) and defiitely go with steel valve stems. The 614's are a chunk of change, but peace of mind is hard to put a price on.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #5

All great info. I did forget to put steel valve stems on my list. I do have a Tire Minder TMS that serves me well. Appreciate the wheel pressure max info! Hoping present ones will work as they are chrome and don't want to replace unless I have to.
We hope there is 1 more x country trip and 1 to Canada before we just stay east of Mississippi and eventually an annual spot in S Florida.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Retired May 2015

Discount tire took care of me! Just before I retired, I "retired" my TV and 5th wheel there. I happened to buy Michelin rv ribs but USA made GY are perfectly fine too in my opinion. I did not buy the road hazard warranty. Wouldn't you know it about 4 weeks later, coming back from a trip to Oregon, I hit a piece of something on I5. Discount Tire sold me the road hazard warranty after the fact and saved me $200 plus on the replacement, times 11 including fiver spare. My only advice is to request fresh tire manufacturer dates. Google this and it will tell you the codes. Happy trails.
Retired 4/30/15
Traveling with new pup "Sammie". Boston Bull Terrier/chihuahua (Bo-huahua). Pronounced Bow wow wow.
dwcjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:45 AM   #7

Mel

My Cedar Creek came with the Goodyear G614's. That is one thing that sold me on the unit I purchased. They have about 11,000 miles on them with no problems. The piece of mind is worth a lot. NO MORE China bombs for me.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:00 AM   #8

G614's

SOLD......doing the switch in March before our spring /summer journeys.
Summary:
* check existing rims for PSI
* steel valve stems
* re set my TPMS
* check mfgr date codes
* consider road hazard coverage
* full wheel balance
* have PEACE OF MIND!

Thanks to those who responded to this thread. Much appreciated.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #9

The G614 was a big plus for us on this Cedar Creek. The new Cedar Creeks don't come with the Goodyears, last years model 36CKTS came with the G614. Now Cedar Creek does not even offer them as a option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #10

BUYERS NEED TO REFUSE THESE CHINESE TIRES WHICH WOULD FORCE INUSTRY TO "SEE THE LIGHT". I was sleepwalking at my Silverback build order! Worried about a damned "convection oven"! Soooo disapointed not putting SAFETY FIRST!!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:50 AM   #11

My 2016 34RL Cedar Creek had 17" Westlake tires and rims instilled from the factory. I had a slight issue with one tire that was losing air not sure if it was the tire, valve stem or rim. At the F.R.O.G. rally this was replaced by a new Westlake tire an rim by Forest River under warranty.

Once this was replaced in Aug, we left on a 5,000 mile trip out west. The tires have preformed flawlessly, I checked them every day and only had to re-inflated them when we where at 6,000 FT. I did have to lower the air pressure again when we returned to 600 FT again in Missouri. As of right now I have no intention of replacing them until they need to be replaced. I will than research what tire I want to install then. I may go with 17.5 inch tires and rims when the time comes.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #12

If you are one of the LUCKY who have NOT HAD AN ISSUE, please feel fortunate. When you have $3,300 damage and a unit layed up for 4 months when you are retired and wanting Florida sun, then you might have an opinion change. I too thought I was ok and the odds were with me.
Same as I foolishly thought a BROWN BEAR FRONT CAP FACTORY REBUFF WOULD HOLD UP. It did for 90 days! Now have an oyster matching front cap, courtesy of FR.
Like Vegas....sometimes a WINNER, but, ALWAYS A LOSER. ��
Old 01-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
If you are one of the LUCKY who have NOT HAD AN ISSUE, please feel fortunate. When you have $3,300 damage and a unit layed up for 4 months when you are retired and wanting Florida sun, then you might have an opinion change. I too thought I was ok and the odds were with me.
Same as I foolishly thought a BROWN BEAR FRONT CAP FACTORY REBUFF WOULD HOLD UP. It did for 90 days! Now have an oyster matching front cap, courtesy of FR.
Like Vegas....sometimes a WINNER, but, ALWAYS A LOSER. ��
I been there; done that with a 2010, 318SAB Cougar $3,000 + a new tire in repair cost. the trailer was less than a year old at the time and I had a tire explode on RT80 at 8:00 AM on a Sunday after leaving a campground in Nebraska. The Cougar had Power King tires, ST235/80R/16 on the trailer and I replaced them with Michelins XPS Ribs LT245/75R/16 which would support the load on the Cougar. These were optional tires at the time since in 2010 15" tires were standard on that model of Cougar. I ordered the ST235/80R/16 tires for the trailer in thinking that the over size tire would provided better tire life. Guess what? NO!

From what I could find out on the Westlake tires from an internet search is these tires are some what above average for a Chinese made tire. I am just saying that for me they have worked out so far.
Old 01-30-2016, 11:14 PM   #14

Amazing how many guys blow past me at 70 or 75 miles an hour while I plod along between 60-65 to n my 65 mph rated tires only to pass them later when they have a blowout beside the road. Probably didn't have time to check the tire pressure either.
Brentf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
After going through the china bomb problems (three sets in 4,000 miles) I followed my tire dealers recommendation and installed the G614. Cannot say enough good about them after almost 20,000 miles. Still look almost new. These are installed on a 14,000+ pound gooseneck horse trailer with living quarters. These units are generally much harder on tires than fifth wheels because of all the movement of the animals while driving. The payload usually runs over 4,000 pounds.

Your price of $1,450 is a really good deal and I doubt you'll find them for less anywhere else.
$271.99 - G614 RST LT235x85R16 tires | Buy G614 RST tires at SimpleTire
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

OK, someone help me with this

I have read all this.........new info to me........and appreciated.....and we're in market for a new Cedar Creek 5'er.

I send some of this to my salesman and I get told this is all wrong, that the whole industry stopped using Goodyear tires, and he sends me a bunch of attachments to read. However, they APPEAR to be only a discussion of stopping using LT type tires, NOT a discussion about stopping using Goodyear.

I told him that the tires in this thread were ST type tires, and so what's wrong with them?

He just gave me Cedar Creek's number and said "Call them, they will explain it to you".

First, I'd be surprised if they'd discuss that with me...........but second, what is going on here? Too many actual satisfied users of these, per this thread (and even such things as Amazon customer reviews) for these to be banned by the manufacturer or some such.

Can someone enlighten me???
Old 02-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #17

Hmmmm I think I would get a new salesperson...Still lots of manufactors using both the G-614's and also LT tires from what I saw. My Silverback had ST tires and I refused to take possession until they were changed to LT tires. The Goodyear G-614 fanatics have a lot of people spending a lot more money then necessary. Some of them are like the Honda Genset folks. lol lol....If you have 7000 lb axles and weigh more then 13000 lbs then yes you need G-614's. But if you have 6000 lb axles and weigh less then 13k lbs then LT tires will serve you fine. My past 3 5erss have weighed 12.5k lbs and have had LT tires and have never had a problem. My rigs are traveling rigs and yes I will pass you at 70 mph. Lots of trailers come from the factory with LT tires, including one of my past trailers. I know lots of people with LT tires who also have never had a problem. Just do a search on any of the forums and you will find tons of folks who run LT tires as well as the G-614. If you have the money then buy the 614's, but just so people know there is another choice.
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #18

Looking at CC 34RL........7K axles and more than 13K weight.

But.......these Goodyear tires in THIS discussion, the G614's........they ARE ST right???
Old 02-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #19

Nope they are a truck/SUV tire....

Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85R16 Tire Specifications
Even Wear In Demanding Trailer Applications.
  • Shallow tread: Offers even wear and helps reduce running temperatures for casing toughness.
  • Solid, rounded shoulder ribs: Enhance rib stability to promote even wear.
  • Premium casing: Is tough and retreadable.
  • Rib edge sipes and lateral grooves: Help deliver traction.
If you look on Discount Tires site they are listed under Truck/SUV
But they are used on both trucks and trailers...
My Steelpony....2007 HD Ultra Classic...done up in a memorial to the 343 firefighters who died 9/11
Never Ever Forget....yes I was a Volunteer FF for 20 years........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:58 AM   #20

I would say call the factory and ask them about the G614. You can not get the Goodyears as a option any more on Cedar Creek, I would tell the factory this that if I could not get the G614 on the camper then I would look at another brand of camper. They were on the 2015 and some are on the 2016, it depends on when they were made. You might be able to work something out with the dealer and he could buy the tires that come on camper. I saw what looked like a good deal on a thread on this forum. My camper came with the 7,000lb axis and the G614.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire