Old 05-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

Squeaky slide - solved!

I thought I would share as this might help someone else. For the past couple of months, my LR slides have had a pretty loud squeak right at the end of extension or the beginning of retraction. I have been using dry lubricant on the bars, gears, and pistons with only the slightest improvement.

Today I figured out what was squeaking. The steel plate circled in green on the left moves up and down when the slide is extended/retracted. It doesn't move much but just enough to produce a huge squeak as dry steel moves on steel. A spray of silicone on these plates (2 on each slide) eliminated the noise!

Ignore the overspray -- I was silicone happy just to solve this nagging problem!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8150.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	76080  

danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

The flange on the end of your slide arm is bolted to the flange on the frame of the slideout. This is how one of the slide adjustments is performed as the holes are slotted and that is the pusher bolt sticking down at the bottom. The 2 plates should not move between one another ... the bolts should be tight. Extend the slide about 1/3 and tighten the bolts down for now ... that should get you close to where the sides were adjusted to initially.

Old 05-03-2015, 11:11 PM   #3

Hmmm. I'll check tomorrow. I'm not sure how much movement there is but it was enough to make a squeak when the slides were moved. Maybe the bolts just need a little twist to anchor them.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #4

Yep, those bolts should be tight. I watched my dealers repair guy adjust mine. When he got it adjusted he tightened it good.

ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 11:34 AM   #5

I checked the bolts and they are tight. I couldn't tighten them at all and it would take a hammer to loosen them (which I didn't do). I watched the 2 plates and could see no movement when the slide moved. So I think I am okay.

But that doesn't explain why I got such a squeak from this area right at the end of slide extension and the beginning of slide retraction. The piston just touches the rim of it's hole when the slide is fully extended but I have dry lubricant there to help. When the slide first starts to retract, the piston rises off of the rim and is in good position for the rest of the retraction, so I don't think there's anything wrong there.

Sometimes chasing a squeak is like dating a high school cheerleader. Just when you think you will score, her dad shows up with a gun!

Tags
slide