Old 04-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #1

standard pin on new camper, do I need something else

I have a B&W hitch on my 12 Silverado 3500HD and the new trailer has a standard hitch on it, do I need to buy another pin before I bring camper home? I have a Wildcat Sterling 32RL and I do get some movement with camper on bridges and bad roads, I am getting a 30RL about the same weight as my camper. Overall my camper rides good, DW sleeps good in truck, only wakes up on the bridges. My truck is extendend cab and a long bed. Thanks for any advice.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

If everything is standard- you should be fine as long as you have the B&W fifth wheel hitch (Patriot, Companion or OEM).

Old 04-23-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have a B&W hitch on my 12 Silverado 3500HD and the new trailer has a standard hitch on it, do I need to buy another pin before I bring camper home? I have a Wildcat Sterling 32RL and I do get some movement with camper on bridges and bad roads, I am getting a 30RL about the same weight as my camper. Overall my camper rides good, DW sleeps good in truck, only wakes up on the bridges. My truck is extendend cab and a long bed. Thanks for any advice.
Not sure what you are asking. Is your movement in the hitch mount or is it in the king pin? If you are having issues between king pin and hitch, either your king pin or hitch jaws are worn, or it's an inherent issue with the hitch itself. If you are picking up a new camper, the king pin should be fine. If you are looking to add an air ride pin box, to ease some of the jolts, that's a different issue.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Found we had slack where the legs sit on the rails. Added 0.075 thick shims under each leg and stopped the slack and the noise.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:03 PM   #5

I was wanting to know if I needed a air ride hitch or say a mor/ryde. At Tom Johnson a lot of CC come with a Trail Air TriGlide hitch on them, I get along fine with my Wildcat, I can tell when I hit a bridge joint but other than that not to bad, well sometimes when the road is really bad it will wake DW up or is this just something else the dealer is trying to add on
Old 04-23-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Fulltime family RVer

Need? No.

Nice to have? Definitely.

It's near the top of my wish list.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #7

When I had a small fifth wheel I did not really feel it behided the truck, but with 36RE on rough roads are heads would be bouncing of the seats of the truck(chucking action) and making the wife sick. So I installed the mor/ride hitch and does help. I think the trail air might be better, But I have never tried the trail air. Found the mor/ryde on line for $519 online, no sale tax and no shipping.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
Former Full Timer

When I pulled my Designer Legacy at 13k lbs with the std Leyland pinbox using the Pullrite Superglide rough roads were a teeth rattling experience. When I pulled the CC with the TrailAir there was still some chucking but the ride was much smoother. When I upgraded the TV which included the Ford hitch (made by Reese) the chucking reduced to virtually nothing.
Soooo, for chucking, it's all about how the hitch is mounted and how the jaw captures the king pin.
For ride, it's all about the air. (pin box or hitch). There are a couple of pin box add ons that will address the chucking issue as well. All options get a bit pricy so let your wallet be your guide...
Elbert Hubbard
Duckogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

I pulled a Wildcat 28RK with a standard pin box, changed to a MorRyde. World of difference. Now have a Silverback 29RE with TrailAir. Great ride! Any upgrade from the standard pinbox is a huge improvement that is well worth the money.
w/Duramax & Allison Trans
gkeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #10

We had the Trial Air (not Tri-Glide) put on our 38FL - works great with the Curt 24K we have.

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote