Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #1

standard pin on new camper, do I need something else

I have a B&W hitch on my 12 Silverado 3500HD and the new trailer has a standard hitch on it, do I need to buy another pin before I bring camper home? I have a Wildcat Sterling 32RL and I do get some movement with camper on bridges and bad roads, I am getting a 30RL about the same weight as my camper. Overall my camper rides good, DW sleeps good in truck, only wakes up on the bridges. My truck is extendend cab and a long bed. Thanks for any advice.
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Always Learning

If everything is standard- you should be fine as long as you have the B&W fifth wheel hitch (Patriot, Companion or OEM).
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I have a B&W hitch on my 12 Silverado 3500HD and the new trailer has a standard hitch on it, do I need to buy another pin before I bring camper home? I have a Wildcat Sterling 32RL and I do get some movement with camper on bridges and bad roads, I am getting a 30RL about the same weight as my camper. Overall my camper rides good, DW sleeps good in truck, only wakes up on the bridges. My truck is extendend cab and a long bed. Thanks for any advice.
Not sure what you are asking. Is your movement in the hitch mount or is it in the king pin? If you are having issues between king pin and hitch, either your king pin or hitch jaws are worn, or it's an inherent issue with the hitch itself. If you are picking up a new camper, the king pin should be fine. If you are looking to add an air ride pin box, to ease some of the jolts, that's a different issue.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Found we had slack where the legs sit on the rails. Added 0.075 thick shims under each leg and stopped the slack and the noise.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #5

I was wanting to know if I needed a air ride hitch or say a mor/ryde. At Tom Johnson a lot of CC come with a Trail Air TriGlide hitch on them, I get along fine with my Wildcat, I can tell when I hit a bridge joint but other than that not to bad, well sometimes when the road is really bad it will wake DW up or is this just something else the dealer is trying to add on
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Always Learning

Need? No.

Nice to have? Definitely.

It's near the top of my wish list.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #7

When I had a small fifth wheel I did not really feel it behided the truck, but with 36RE on rough roads are heads would be bouncing of the seats of the truck(chucking action) and making the wife sick. So I installed the mor/ride hitch and does help. I think the trail air might be better, But I have never tried the trail air. Found the mor/ryde on line for $519 online, no sale tax and no shipping.
MrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
Certified Curmudgeon

When I pulled my Designer Legacy at 13k lbs with the std Leyland pinbox using the Pullrite Superglide rough roads were a teeth rattling experience. When I pulled the CC with the TrailAir there was still some chucking but the ride was much smoother. When I upgraded the TV which included the Ford hitch (made by Reese) the chucking reduced to virtually nothing.
Soooo, for chucking, it's all about how the hitch is mounted and how the jaw captures the king pin.
For ride, it's all about the air. (pin box or hitch). There are a couple of pin box add ons that will address the chucking issue as well. All options get a bit pricy so let your wallet be your guide...
Old 04-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #9

I pulled a Wildcat 28RK with a standard pin box, changed to a MorRyde. World of difference. Now have a Silverback 29RE with TrailAir. Great ride! Any upgrade from the standard pinbox is a huge improvement that is well worth the money.
w/Duramax & Allison Trans
gkeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #10

We had the Trial Air (not Tri-Glide) put on our 38FL - works great with the Curt 24K we have.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #11

Quote:
I was wanting to know if I needed a air ride hitch or say a mor/ryde. At Tom Johnson a lot of CC come with a Trail Air TriGlide hitch on them, I get along fine with my Wildcat, I can tell when I hit a bridge joint but other than that not to bad, well sometimes when the road is really bad it will wake DW up or is this just something else the dealer is trying to add on
We too are torn between the TrailAir and the MorRyde. One of the reps at Tom Johnson Concord told me that she had used both and liked the MorRyde much better. We're looking to purchase one or the other in the next few weeks so would appreciate it if anyone would share their experiences with them.

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
2007.5 Chevy 3500 Crewcab LTZ Diesel
Heldapay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #12
Certified Curmudgeon

TrailAir vs Moryde is an easy decision.

TrailAir will give your trailer and the rear axle of your TV a smooth "air ride". It will do nothing for chucking.

Moryde will eliminate chucking and maybe
some of the shock to your trailer and TV.

So what you want is BOTH. You can achieve that with a TriGlide for the TrailAir
OR a Moryde with an air hitch. OR a TrailAir with a good hitch.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
TrailAir vs Moryde is an easy decision.

TrailAir will give your trailer and the rear axle of your TV a smooth "air ride". It will do nothing for chucking.

Moryde will eliminate chucking and maybe
some of the shock to your trailer and TV.

So what you want is BOTH. You can achieve that with a TriGlide for the TrailAir
OR a Moryde with an air hitch. OR a TrailAir with a good hitch.
Hope this helps.
Thanks or the info. Been reading up on the TriGlide today and it really does sound like the solution for us. We have a brand new Reese 16K so we really don't want to buy another hitch. Any idea what the approximate weight difference is between the TriGlide & the MorRyde? The shipping weight on one TriGlide I found was 190 lbs. Would the MorRyde be any less? Just a little concerned about adding too much more pin weight as I worry about payload capacity.

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
Old 04-28-2013, 07:40 PM   #14

This may help any folks that are thinking about a mor/ryde from my experience. I purchased mor/ride pin box with shear spring rating at 14,000 to 16,000lb as my GVWR is 15,500 on 2011 36re. But the hitch did not seam to have any movement, so called mor/ryde and was told that I must not have the trailer loaded up close to my GVWR. Mor/ryde sent me a shear spring rated for 12,000 to 14,000lb for free and the hitch now works great. Now the pin box is rated for 18,000lb, doesnt matter on the shear spring.
MrAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #15
Certified Curmudgeon

That's not a simple Question. The MorRyde is an entire pin box . The TriGlide is an add on lower jaw for the TrailAir pin box . Soooo, the MorRyde would be lighter because there is no lower jaw or air suspension. The difference however would be considered di minimus.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
That's not a simple Question. The MorRyde is an entire pin box . The TriGlide is an add on lower jaw for the TrailAir pin box . Soooo, the MorRyde would be lighter because there is no lower jaw or air suspension. The difference however would be considered di minimus.
I think we're leaning toward the TrailAir with Tri Glide. Your help is much appreciated!

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 PM   #17
Old Member

Send a message via Skype™ to mikey
When you make your purchase decision make sure your hitch is up to the task. As Ducky indicated, the chucking will not be solved by a new TrailAir with or without the Triglide. I have the $863 TrailAir offered as option by FR that I have paired with a Curt 20K hitch and have had no chucking with this combination. The bridge thing is as much suspension as hitch. With the current state of our nations roads, I chose to upgrade to MorRyde's IS system. Wow! What a difference it makes!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:30 PM   #18
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post
We too are torn between the TrailAir and the MorRyde. One of the reps at Tom Johnson Concord told me that she had used both and liked the MorRyde much better. We're looking to purchase one or the other in the next few weeks so would appreciate it if anyone would share their experiences with them.
Have had neither, but our Flagstaff would dolphin until I put shocks on the trailer and that stopped all of it. If the trailer hits a wave in the highway, it follows the wave without exaggerating it or transferring it to the truck.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have had neither, but our Flagstaff would dolphin until I put shocks on the trailer and that stopped all of it. If the trailer hits a wave in the highway, it follows the wave without exaggerating it or transferring it to the truck.
Our trailer is equipped with the Equa-Flex suspension. Should this do the same thing? I wouldn't say ours dolphins but we do have some bounce on bad roads but more chucking, especially on bridges & concrete road.

Tim & Joy
2011 Sierra 365SAQ
Reese 16k Hitch
Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heldapay View Post

Our trailer is equipped with the Equa-Flex suspension. Should this do the same thing? I wouldn't say ours dolphins but we do have some bounce on bad roads but more chucking, especially on bridges & concrete road.
We have the Equalflex suspension, too- I still want a air pin.