Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 09:54 AM   #1

Surge protector

We purchased last year a2018 Cedar Creek fifth wheel 34RL2 and purchased a surge protector used it with the camper maybe three times before winter set in. this past Memorial Day weekend we were out hooked up surge protector and camper to Campground power box 50 amp turned on breaker. went inside and realized that the microwave and the residential refrigerator was not on. went and made sure it was plugged in and it was. no warning on the surge protector it looked to be working. so unplug the camper from the surge protector and plugged the camper directly into the campground power box and then power to microwave and residential fridge was on. dose anybody have a clue as to what may cause that. any suggestions would be greatly appreciative. Thanks
CampinGpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

Another reason not to get a surge protector and get the EMS system instead. Then if it shuts down you know why.

I don't know how surge protector works. It's either defective or it's shutting down power due to some error situation it detects. Try it at other pedestals and if it keeps doing same thing, maybe call manufacturer of surge protector. But it doesn't sound like a 'surge' is the issue.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #3

Bad connection/terminal on the surge connector?

Did you try again?

What brand and model surge do you have?
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

With a 50a service, you have TWO legs of 120v AC.
Each leg powers different things inside the R/V.

Either your surge protector wasn't passing the 120v on one leg or you had a bad connection at one of the plugs/connectors.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

Did you try again?

I did just unplugged it and plugged it back in to the same pedestal we'll be going over to the camper today forgot the name of it I will get it and let you know. I have slept sine then and forgot. going out in a couple of weeks hopefully it will work.
Old 06-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

Did you try again?

I am back. The surge protector band name is Southwire and the model is 34950 and it is a 50 amp
Old 06-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
I am back. The surge protector band name is Southwire and the model is 34950 and it is a 50 amp

Hmmm. Made in Honduras. A bit pricey for a surge protector, but it does have a display. What is display showing? I don't see actual error codes in the description, not sure what the display shows.

Seems 5Picker is onto the issue. Sounds like you have 1/2 the 50amp leg if going through the device.

Does anyone you know have one of these you could borrow?
https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...-1-spons&psc=1

It should display something, maybe low or high voltage (on one leg). But I'm guessing now.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 03:41 PM   #8

Well poo. I looked it up and it appears to be a nice little unit. I read the trouble shooting section and did not see your problem...imagine that.

https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...ting-Guide.pdf

I would call the tech line trouble shooting line.

warranty info...
https://rvpower.southwire.com/wp-con...ion-DSG-v2.pdf
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #9

You happy campers are awesome thanks so much for trying to help someone like me that is clueless about the surge protector. I've only used it maybe three or four times. hopefully it's still good it was not cheap. and I can't remember what the readings it was putting out but I do know there was no red waring lights Thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 03:55 AM   #10

I am electrically incompetent🤪. That’s why I have Progressive EMS. Saved my butt several times. Worth every dollar for a camper like me!
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #11

I have a very simple question on your issue. How long did you wait after plugging into the campground pedestal and excepting to see the microwave and fridge turn on in the camper?

I know with my surge guard there is a delay of about 2 min's before the camper will see power after it is plugged into the power pedestal. The unit is working and checking to insuring that the pedestal is wired correctly and providing the proper power supply.

I know my surge guard would not work on one power pedestal at a campground once. The pedestal was wired incorrectly after being service for an issue previously.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #12

Unless I'm missing something, it must have shut you down because of any one of several possible electric anomalies it monitors:

Open ground, Open neutral (Input), Elevated ground line current
Low (<102V) and high (>132V) voltage, Overheating receptacle, Reverse polarit, Miswired pedestal, High neutral current (50A model only), High neutral current.

Removing it to bypass it is not a good idea (unless it has failed). An open ground can be fatal in some circumstances. Low voltage (very common) can damage AC units and other things. If it shuts you down, you need to look at the display to see why it has and figure out what to do. Sometimes you can find another site, sometimes the CG can fix it fairly quickly and at the worst, you may not be able to anything unless you go to another CG.

We have a Progressive Industries EMS (hardwired) and 2 or 3 times a year it shuts us off and have had open neutrals, open grounds and low voltage. I installed a wall-mounted LED mini voltmeter display and I keep tabs on the voltage all the time. Sometimes it can be low enough I need to pull out our autoformer before the EMS shuts us off.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I have a very simple question on your issue. How long did you wait after plugging into the campground pedestal and excepting to see the microwave and fridge turn on in the camper?

I know with my surge guard there is a delay of about 2 min's before the camper will see power after it is plugged into the power pedestal. The unit is working and checking to insuring that the pedestal is wired correctly and providing the proper power supply.

I know my surge guard would not work on one power pedestal at a campground once. The pedestal was wired incorrectly after being service for an issue previously.
Maybe that could be it. after I plugged it in I walked inside and looked and seen no power.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverbackMel View Post
I am electrically incompetent��. That’s why I have Progressive EMS. Saved my butt several times. Worth every dollar for a camper like me!
I am like you as for electrically goes. if I may ask what is a EMS
Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM   #15

southwire is the manufacture, surgeguard is the product name / brand. it should not be passing one leg and not the other. it should either pass power on both legs or none at all. when it is passing power it shows the voltage and amperage being used on both legs. if it is not passing power the display panel shows why. you say you are getting power when you plug directly into the pedestal. this seems to indicate that you do not have shorts or breaks in the power legs going to main panel. there is always the possibility of a defective EMS unit.

plug the surgeguard into the pedestal without the shore power cord plugged into it. verify that there are no error conditions being displayed. correct (or report) any error conditions when you get a display indicating normal operation (120 volts or so on both legs) then plug the shore power cord in.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
southwire is the manufacture, surgeguard is the product name / brand. it should not be passing one leg and not the other. it should either pass power on both legs or none at all. when it is passing power it shows the voltage and amperage being used on both legs. if it is not passing power the display panel shows why. you say you are getting power when you plug directly into the pedestal. this seems to indicate that you do not have shorts or breaks in the power legs going to main panel. there is always the possibility of a defective EMS unit.

plug the surgeguard into the pedestal without the shore power cord plugged into it. verify that there are no error conditions being displayed. correct (or report) any error conditions when you get a display indicating normal operation (120 volts or so on both legs) then plug the shore power cord in.
Thank you. Going to take the camper out on Friday the 28th and will be back on the 8th of July. I will try that. just curious are you going to the 2019 International Frog Rally in Goshen
Old 06-26-2019, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampinGpa View Post
I am like you as for electrically goes. if I may ask what is a EMS
Electrical Management Systems
kinzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 AM   #18

print out the page from the manual that shows what the display would look like if all were well. from what i saw it will have 4 numbers on it. voltage and amps being used on leg 1 and voltage and amps being used on leg 2. this is what you want. if the ems finds any wiring issues or voltage higher than or lower than the limits it allows it will show the error condition. but more importantly understand how it works. it has a relay inside of it (think of it as an automated switch) that only allows power to pass through to the output side of the unit if the power is within specs. with any error condition it will not close the switch and it will not pass power. it may work just fine if plugged into another pedestal or even the same pedestal if it now has proper power. in fact, i'd be a bit suspicious if it were plugged into another pedestal and it again did not pass power.

one other thing to realize about these units is that they check and monitor proper voltages. they will not react to the amperage being used. that is what circuit breakers are for. they may display the amps passing through the unit but they take no action based upon this.

most important thing is to go have fun!

i'd love to go to the goshen rally but it will not be this year. it would be a least a three week trip for us and we've had some family issues this year. maybe next year.