Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #21

We had a lighting strike it saved are Rv it took out rvs that didn't have one best money spent !
Cowboy52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 04:57 PM   #22
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
for me, it has become a "must." i have a large investment in my camper and protecting my investment is high on my list.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ers-26202.html
x2k

Old 03-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #23

I have to question why the manufactures don't install these as standard in their rigs? There is so much at stake in a high cost unit for such a relatively low cost device to protect it. I'm sure that if Forest River with all its manufacturing subsidiaries approached Progressive Industries they could come up with a deal that would actually drop the price of the surge protectors and have them installed at source.

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 PM   #24

Because it keeps you coming back to the service dept. and they have to stay competitive to other brands so it all boils down to money! Always
Todouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 05:18 AM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutch333id View Post
I have to question why the manufactures don't install these as standard in their rigs? There is so much at stake in a high cost unit for such a relatively low cost device to protect it. I'm sure that if Forest River with all its manufacturing subsidiaries approached Progressive Industries they could come up with a deal that would actually drop the price of the surge protectors and have them installed at source.
Because not everyone wants a cheap surge suppressor. If one came pre-installed, my first official act would be to rip it out and put a Franks Auto-Transformer in. Others would want the Progressive unit.

MOST would just leave the cheap, almost no protection at all, stock unit in; thinking they were protected. Which actually may be worse than KNOWING you are walking barefoot in a world of broken glass.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #26

Would be nice if a good one was an option.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:16 AM   #27
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Would be nice if a good one was an option.
There are ALWAYS "dealer installed options." Just make sure to specify which one you want when you negotiate the sale. Many folks have solar and other "options" installed on their new units.

There are too many different kinds for a manufacturer to offer it.
Just think of trying to buy your Ford Truck with a different radio.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 06:37 AM   #28

Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C first thing I bought and put in the new trailer last year. Would like not to be one of those horror stories hopefully.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM   #29

The night before the Goshen rally last year we were staying in the KOA up the road. It was full and everyone was running their ACs. There was a power surge and we lost it for about 10 minutes. Fortunately when the power came back on all was well, but we learned our lesson.
Wanted to have a Progressive hardwired model installed while we were at the fairgrounds, but evidently there wasn't an onsite dealer. As soon as we got back to Houston we had our dealer order and install it. We are not electrically talented and by having the dealer do that work they will warranty both product and labor.
As for the portable units, besides relying on a lightweight metal loop to lock them to the pedestal, they don't have the range of protection and readouts that you get with hardwire. While our TT is neither the cheapest or the most expensive on the road we do plan to keep it for at least another 5 years and count our PI surge protector as very reasonable protection, especially over an extended period of time.
Ray and Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray and Steph View Post
The night before the Goshen rally last year we were staying in the KOA up the road. It was full and everyone was running their ACs. There was a power surge and we lost it for about 10 minutes. Fortunately when the power came back on all was well, but we learned our lesson.
Wanted to have a Progressive hardwired model installed while we were at the fairgrounds, but evidently there wasn't an onsite dealer. As soon as we got back to Houston we had our dealer order and install it. We are not electrically talented and by having the dealer do that work they will warranty both product and labor.
As for the portable units, besides relying on a lightweight metal loop to lock them to the pedestal, they don't have the range of protection and readouts that you get with hardwire. While our TT is neither the cheapest or the most expensive on the road we do plan to keep it for at least another 5 years and count our PI surge protector as very reasonable protection, especially over an extended period of time.
What does a hardwire do that the progressive plug in do not show on the display outside. Besides not having a remote screen on the inside of trailer? showing the samething...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #31

The portable is portable that's it. I have had mine for a while. I've used it with 2 5th wheels and a class a, now I have it for my sc 226rbds. If it's hard wired and you sell or trade in the unit no one wants to pay you extra for it. Ours can be used on 20, 30, or 50 amp services so all our bases are covered. I chain the surge protector to the power cord and then chain that to the power center. So far never had a problem.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:08 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sewhappy View Post
Thanks for all the info. The comparison chart was very helpful. Do you have additional surge protectors on the tv's and computer?
Yes. I have a Progressive Industries portable unit w/additional protectors on the inside.

Here's a link to a previous post on the subject with more information.
Surge protector - Forest River Forums
Timbren & Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:13 AM   #33
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
What does a hardwire do that the progressive plug in do not show on the display outside. Besides not having a remote screen on the inside of trailer? showing the samething...
Lol you dont have to go outside to look at the portable!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:20 AM   #34

Look at what. If the powers fine there is nothing to do. If there is a problem you'll know.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:30 AM   #35

Surge protectors

We have a SSP-50 sp Keep it chained and padlocked to t

he post. martin73
martin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #36

We have a 50 amp Surge Guard. No readout just led lights. Kicked in a few times over the years.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
Look at what. If the powers fine there is nothing to do. If there is a problem you'll know.
I like having the readout inside so that my wife knows EXACTLY how many amps she is drawing. Beats the heck out of going outside in the cold and dark to flip the breaker like I had to do a few times before we got the surge protector. Also, installing the surge protector is pretty easy and straight forward- strip 6 or 8 wires(30 or 50A) and clamp them down. I would rather do that once and be done with it as opposed to having to deal with another thing to haul and hookup and secure. I removed mine when I sold it- took 10 minutes or so. Just my opinion, of course.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #38

Surge protectors

That is a great idea. Many owners can install them by themselves. Many cannot. They can have the dealer install it. Many dealers can't even install a roof vent without ruining the roof. Don't know if i'd trust them with electric.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM   #39
Wayne & Kim

We just bought the Progressive Industries portable EMS unit from Amazon last week after a bit of research and reading the great advice from the fellow Forum members. Haven't had a chance to use it yet. Decided to fork out for the EMS rather than just the less expensive surge protector partly because of the low voltage situations that can arise, reverse polarity, etc.

When we were camping last year (before we got our 36CKTS), a lightning strike hit in the campground we were in - I was pumping up something outside and it just came from out of nowhere and hit. I found out later that it had taken out a couple's rig and it was their very first time taking it out - had just bought it earlier that week.

It's definitely a cheap bit of insurance given the amount we pay for these rigs!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 AM   #40

Smart, all it takes is one time and you would have a repair bill a lot bigger then the cost of it. they will save your electronics.......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote